Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-11-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Does anybody have a Singer 457 model?
I might have one out in the studio I will have to look and see.

Billy
Billy, Thanks. It did come with a manual but no attachements except the presser foot on the machine. He also gave me a plastic container of original, I hope, bobbins plus a gal ziplock baggies of spools of thread. Old wooden spools - how could I turn them down?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:32 PM

Ok you guys I am confused. I thought all the early Singer 66's had back clamps? This is Kathie's 1909 Model 66 with a side clamp? Does that mean this machine was changed from a back clamp to a side clamp by one of the owners?

I have a Model 66 from 1914 with the back clamp, which is what I thought all the early 66's had?

Billy your thoughts on why this 1909 has a side clamp?

Nancy

Kathie's 1909 Lotus 66
[ATTACH=CONFIG]122600[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-122595.jpe
Views:	97
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	122600  
Old 03-11-2011, 08:39 PM

Does anybody have a Singer 457 model? I picked one up today that was made in great Britain. Haven't researched the serial # yet b/c DH doesn't know it has been rehomed to my house. I do know it does a straight stitch and a zigzag. It is brown in color.
Hi Chris Quilts...I have a Singer 457 my husband gave me around 1967. I love this machine. I have even sewn faux leather on it with no problem. Mine is tan in a walnut table. You're really going to love her I'm sure. The manual is so used it is all taped up.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:47 PM

Nancy;

My 66 Red Eye had back clamping feet. It is a treadle head minus the cabinet. I only have the one presser foot like Farm Woman is looking for. Mine was made in 1916. Does this info help you?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pins n' Ndls
Hi Chris Quilts...I have a Singer 457 my husband gave me around 1967. I love this machine. I have even sewn faux leather on it with no problem. Mine is tan in a walnut table. You're really going to love her I'm sure. The manual is so used it is all taped up.
The manual is actually pretty pristine. I'm not sure the machine was sewed with much. I think it belonged to the seller's mom but he said she didn't sew much with it. I t appears to be in good shape. Thanks for your info.

Also picked up another machine and if the manual is correct it is a Morse machine with tons of attachments that I hope actually fit the machine. Will post pics soon when I figure out their placement in my house and DH gets over beig upset with the addition of 2 more machines. I swear, they keep finding me.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Banned

Nancy;

My 66 Red Eye had back clamping feet. It is a treadle head minus the cabinet. I only have the one presser foot like Farm Woman is looking for. Mine was made in 1916. Does this info help you?
I have a 1921 with the back clamp I think it was just what they were using at the time of assembly and the allotment. Just because 50,000 were allotted didnt mean that they were all of the same decal and type of clamp system.

Billy
Old 03-11-2011, 08:53 PM

Billy, Good to know about both the decal and clamping system. I had no idea. I know mine is a 66 but how do I tell what kind of 66 she is? Josie's serial # is G5056816.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by TacoMama
Here are the pictures
The Household is on my list of "I would love to have one"! Beautiful machines.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I have a 1921 with the back clamp I think it was just what they were using at the time of assembly and the allotment. Just because 50,000 were allotted didnt mean that they were all of the same decal and type of clamp system.

Billy
Yes, I know they had different decals, but I was under the impression that all the early 66's had a back clamp -- no matter the decal? I thought they changed to the side clamp later because people weren't too wild about the back clamp. You said earlier that the back clamp was from the Wheeler & Wilson. When the back clamp didn't really hit it off with the consumer, I thought that is when Singer started with the side clamps or maybe the different factories used the different methods?

Geeze, just when I think I can tell a really vintage 66 from a newer 66 I get this -- which messes it all up! LOL!!!!

Nancy
Old 03-11-2011, 09:43 PM

Welcome Jan on 446! Glad you decided to join us. It sounds
like you have some very nice machines.
I love the old machines and treadling is so relaxing and a nice way to sew.
Sharon W. in Texas