Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kwendt
Okay.... so back in JAN, a local thrift store had a 15 in a 42 cabinet with a "sold and paid" sign on it. However, the sign also said that the person was picking it up 12/23 (as in Dec. of 2010!). Short story... the person never came for it, I kept bugging them about it... and TODAY.... I brought it home. Paid $20 for it (thrift store got a total of $45 between the two of us! lol).

Turns out, it's a 15-91 in nice condition other than the electric cords all falling apart. And get this... it's blackside. The scroll face plate has the type of scroll like the featherweights (kinda celtic knotish looking) but it's black. It even had the straight stitch foot and the Singerlight in black. I LOVE it. Seems to turn over alright, bobbin case is in it, no rust, lots of grease/oil residue. Needs a good cleaning and all the electric redone.

Her AG379228 S/N shows she was part of the series from March 1942... a 'war' machine. A cool piece of history.

Okay everyone... what should I name my 'new' gal?
You did very good with this machine, can we say RARE?!?!

I hate electric machines but I would have to own this one!!!!

Billy
Old 03-12-2011, 08:52 PM

Hiya Billy..... what's up with the slider plate? I don't want to list it without it having a working plate. Have had several people try to get that one to fit..still can't. Know you were going to contact the guy that you got it from but haven't heard back from you.

I've been busy listing things on craigslist. Put my home for sale with a broker and now listing most of the machines on craigs list and will be putting cloth and accuquilt go and dyes on here for sale soon.

Hope all is well your way!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Banned

I talked to the guy that works on the sewing machines and he told me you have the worst plate there is to put on. He told me you have to loosen the screw and cock the plate to one side and finagle it in like that. He told me that he has put hundreds of them on and each time he spends 15 minutes or better to getting it on. Also the supplier told me there were no issues that he knew about the plates and that they were a pain in the @%$ to put on. So you might need to back up and punt on the plate. Apparently you own one of the most stubborn machines to play with.

Billy
Old 03-12-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Well, I got my first fiddle base this morning. I will post pictures later, my DH has the camera!

I am not sure what this machine is - it is from 1889, and I think it is a Model VS 2. It has the 'rose and cornflower' decal. I have another one to clean up and refinish the cabinet!!!!!!!

Anyway, I got a puzzle box and a second wooden box of attachments with odd's and ends in it, like a White bobbin and a W&W bobbin along with attachments.

I paid $65 for the whole thing - it is missing the coffin top.

Nancy
Here is Bessie (everyone has to have a Bessie right)! This is my diamond in the rough! She will look lots better after she gets her spit shine!
Wow...How very pretty!! Haven't seen one of them before. Great buy!
Old 03-12-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I talked to the guy that works on the sewing machines and he told me you have the worst plate there is to put on. He told me you have to loosen the screw and cock the plate to one side and finagle it in like that. He told me that he has put hundreds of them on and each time he spends 15 minutes or better to getting it on. Also the supplier told me there were no issues that he knew about the plates and that they were a pain in the @%$ to put on. So you might need to back up and punt on the plate. Apparently you own one of the most stubborn machines to play with.

Billy
Hm.. Ok..I did loosen the 2 screws and the little black bar , so did other people that came by to give it a try to get the plate on. Went with all the angles. guess I have to bring it to the shop and have them put it on..or better yet, just toss it out. Will cost too much to have the shop do it.. Oh well. lesson learned on my part. Thanks
Old 03-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Banned

Well kids I promised I would start showing photos of my repaints I am doing and you will have a few of them tomorrow if the weather holds out for me. I have two members machines that I am working on right now with another pair right behind these next week. We finally have some weather that I can work in the paint department.

So tomorrow you will see a pretty Candy Blue 27 and a Black Cherry 66 (Black with Red Pearl mid coat). Right now they are sitting in the Studio in primer ready for the final sand and start shooting the color.

The next batch will be a blistering bright Lime Green 27 and a 185K that I have yet to figure out the color for. I am leaning on White with gold hand wheel and faceplate with a gold Pearl mid coat.

Billy

Billy
Old 03-12-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by ssgramma
OK - just bought the 2nd one in a week - I think I might have gotten a problem hanging out around here!

This one will be coming to my house :-)
Wellllll......since we're being honest, I bought this one this week:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I know it's pricey for one in this rough shape, but it's an uncommon decal. And I have no self-control.
Miz Johnny is that the same decal that my new Bessie has? The Rose and Cornflower? It sure looks like it is that decal. Is that a VS 3? I know the VS 3 was the machine that followed the VS 2 and it did not have a fiddlebase - the precursor to the 28.

Nancy
No, it's a 28. As far as I know, the VS 3 and 27 are one and the same. Anyone??
I believe it's the same decal as your machine. This is an older 3/4 sized machine, so could be from the same time period. When I get it, we'll compare serial numbers to see.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Hm.. Ok..I did loosen the 2 screws and the little black bar , so did other people that came by to give it a try to get the plate on. Went with all the angles. guess I have to bring it to the shop and have them put it on..or better yet, just toss it out. Will cost too much to have the shop do it.. Oh well. lesson learned on my part. Thanks
Gee Donnamare, are you moving out of the country? What kind of machine are you guys talking about? I want to make sure I never take the plate off if I have one of what ever machine that is so hard to get the plate on!

Nancy
Old 03-12-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Nancy, I would say remember me in your will, but I am older than you so that will not work. So I will just say if you find another one like that you know where I live. Kathie
Kathie you are funny! Anyway, if I find another fiddle base, I will call you! I am out of room!

Nancy
Old 03-12-2011, 09:30 PM

Nancy,
my 66's date is feb 5, 1924 and has a side clamp.
Brenda