Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-18-2011, 01:39 PM

I have an opportunity to buy a treadle machine
1)called "Automatic". The seller hasn't sent a serial number or details yet. I've searched on line & cannot find anything labeled "Automatic". The pic shows the name across front of machine head - where one would see "Singer" written.
Haven't a clue as to its value, if parts are available, etc. He wants $100.00, but we could probably get it for a little less, since we'd drive 1 1/2 hrs to pick it up & the cabinet is worn. I'm hesitant because wonder if I could find parts. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Here's the link :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123
and another possibility: 2) Vesta, again, a name I don't know, for $90.00. Anyone have info to help me decide? Thanks.
Link: http://billings.craigslist.org/atq/2232279646.html
I found someone to transport it up 7 to 8 hrs away, for $25.00. What do you think?
Old 03-18-2011, 01:40 PM

Billy, did you post my screw and spool pin yet? Just curious.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by laura59
This must be my lucky week. Another machine followed me home today, it was free. Just the price I like. A lady on my Yahoo group sent me an e-mail that her mom lives pretty close to me and wanted to get rid of a treadle machine. Her mom had taken the cabinet all apart to refinish it, but, she hasn't had time to work on it, so, she wanted to get rid of it. I called her last night and picked it up today. I'm thinking it is a model 66. The number is B90565 9 (the last 9 is down and to the right). I'm thinking it must be part of the number. If it is, then I guess it would be a 66 made in 1905. I'm so happy. Bob put the cabinet up above in the garage until I can get time to work on it. Sorry, no pic of the cabinet.
Congrats! Definitely a 66, three years older than mine... That missing throatplate is common and you can buy a replacement on Ebay. It will slide on from right to left, under the presser foot. I know of a YouTube that shows you how, if you happen to need it.

You got a great machine. Can't wait to see it again after you clean it up.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Anybody know what this little machine is? It's listed in an auction as a featherweight with a ? after it. I think they are just thinking because it's small it's a featherweight. It is a treadle it seems in a pretty ugly green painted cabinet.
It's beautiful. Looks like a chainstitch machine.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
Here's a project red eye treadle in a parlor cabinet for someone in Indianapolis area...pickup only!

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=7599806
Wow, the decals look really good, and that is the DR05? cabinet-- very valuable if someone can work on it a little bit. Here's the TreadleLady's video again, of that same machine and cabinet, "Miss Ellen Elevator":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi8a_OHUv1M
Just skip over the tea making stuff (first 42 seconds)...

Coincidentally, Laura59, this is the same video where she discusses the missing throat plates (bobbin covers). It's at about 5 minutes into the video.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by grannysewer
I just saw a singer machine at thrift store. The only number on it was G 53-22. It didn't have any decals on it other than Singer and the medallion. Anyone know about it? It's in case with no top,but does have the foot pedal. Thanks, Bobbie
That numbering is strange for a Singer-- not a serial number, and it's not a model number I've ever heard of. Can you take and post a picture of it? Someone is bound to recognize what it is.
I will try to back there. I've got a broken wrist right now and depend on others to drive me.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:14 PM

well l ave just read through and every thing sounds so exciting l will now have a go to send pictures

this is ruby she is made in Australia
[ATTACH=CONFIG]171593[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-171588.jpe
Views:	107
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	171593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-171593.jpe
Views:	292
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	171598  
Old 03-18-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Elsie Blight
well l ave just read through and every thing sounds so exciting l will now have a go to send pictures
Beautiful
Old 03-18-2011, 03:32 PM

[Congrats! Definitely a 66, three years older than mine... That missing throatplate is common and you can buy a replacement on Ebay. It will slide on from right to left, under the presser foot. I know of a YouTube that shows you how, if you happen to need it.

You got a great machine. Can't wait to see it again after you clean it up]

I found the throat plate. It was in the box with the attachments. I'm anxious to get it cleaned up.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:35 PM

this time l hope to do the treadle l have
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-171601.jpe
Views:	316
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	171606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-171602.jpe
Views:	294
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	171607