Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-25-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Deara

Bubba looks like a workhorse.
Most Bubbas are.
Love your set-up.
Happy Treadling...............
Here's our son Bubba. :thumbup:

Blessings,
Sandi
Sandi, your son is a mighty good looking guy!

Nancy
Old 03-25-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Here are the pics showing how the box was made. The box is sitting on top of my parlor cabinet and is separate from it (just in case the pics make it look like it's part of the larger cabinet).
I bought this machine from Craigslist yesterday....$60.00!!!!! It is in excellent shape!
WOW, What a deal for $60! I'd of paid that price for that HC redhead!

Nancy
Old 03-25-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Does anyone know anything about the Leader machine made by A G Mason Co? The seller thinks its a 1930s Singer. A G Mason was only in business from 1870 to 1899 and this is definitely theirs. I posted pictures on page 857.

It's a pretty day for a roadtrip, but I'd like some input before I decide. It's $85. The cabinet is not as good as this picture in larger pics, but it's not bad.
Irishrose, I have been meaning to get back to you, but I forgot. Anyway, A G Mason Co, was a distributor of machines, but I don't think they actually made machines. At least not post 1900. Starting in 1906 Albert G Mason Manufacturing Co distributed machines that were made by the White Manufacturing Company. White's Mason line were made in Cleveland at the White Factory there. The "New Leader" is described as basically a White VS III machine made between 1906 and 1917 or later? I don't think A G Mason made any machines from 1900 on, I am not even sure they actually made machines pre 1900, but that White made them for Mason? I am not sure about that? Anyway, go to this link to find out about the history of the Mason's, which were actually made by White post 1900 up until (I think) the 1920's or so.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...62576881ofEZse

Please post a picture if you get the machine!
Nancy
Old 03-25-2011, 07:17 PM

Great find on the Redeye. Great decals. The Bubbas are holding their own too.

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I'm SEW stoked. I spent the night assembling my 31-15 treadle, in anticipation of using the larger workspace for fm quilting my now basted bargello, and the larger queen-size quilt for DD. I was missing a bracket, so I 'improvised' with two spring-loaded curtain rods that hold up the two extended leafs. I can't believe the extra workspace I got, and I'm anxious to give it a spin. I did a tryout of fm, and that's the last picture of the set: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...03630418ObsSzP It's not perfect, but it is functional AND original. I named my machine Bubba. :)
That set up looks great!!! What did your husband do with the original top? The reason that I ask is because I just bought a handcrank model 66 that was sitting in a little box that was made out of the original treadle top. It's hard to explain so I'm going to go take a picture. I thought it was an excellent way to make a box for the handcrank machines.

Here are the pics showing how the box was made. The box is sitting on top of my parlor cabinet and is separate from it (just in case the pics make it look like it's part of the larger cabinet).
I bought this machine from Craigslist yesterday....$60.00!!!!! It is in excellent shape!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lnlwhitt
I just got home with a Singer featherweight 221-1. It's in good shape with the case and attachments. I paid 300.00 do you think I paid too much? It was a silent auction at a thrift store so it went to a good cause. Where do I find the "birthday" info. The serial number starts AG82...isn't that what you look up?
Thanks
You have a 1946 model, made in Elizabeth, New Jersey. Hope you enjoy playing with it! That would have been too much $$ for me, but others seem to be willing to pay that and a whole lot more... I guess if you can afford it and it's for charity, it's all good. :-D

Here's where I looked up your model, on the Singer site:
http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_2letter.html
Old 03-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Great find on the Redeye. Great decals. The Bubbas are holding their own too.
LOL, Melinda! Thanks for the chuckle...
Old 03-25-2011, 09:07 PM

Bojangles, the seller now insists the machine is a 1926 or 8 and her MIL was its only owner. (How old was the MIL??). Maybe she'll have something tomorrow that will help me date it. Not that it really matters. What matters is if it looks decent and sews well. IN the picture, it looks like it says Leader, nor New Leader, but she does have the manual.

If Miss Leader comes home tomorrow I won't be posting my pictures unless you want pictures of her snuggled in my car trunk. It'll be at least Sunday before I can round up someone to bring her in. Some of the family's headed to Lansing. My grandson is playing in the state basketball finals in the morning.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:21 PM

Anyone in N CA around the Chico area looking for a 201-2, this one is for $50.

http://chico.craigslist.org/atq/2274853829.html
Old 03-26-2011, 02:51 AM

I have a singer 66-16 and when I am sewing long strips or sewing fast I cant keep thread in guides. Any suggestion would be greatly appreicated.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
Actually this IS the original top. I really wanted DH to make me a new one, but I still love the look of the original wood. It's a bit rough, but I used a good refinisher and it's smooth and shouldn't give me a problem. I'd love to see a picture of your box for your hand crank! I've got 3 of them, and they are just really fun machines. Mine comes camping with me. Don't forget a picture of your handcrank, too!
I added pics to my post above. You really do have lots of room with your new set up. The woman that I bought the handcrank from had a really nice set up, for her sewing area, but all of her machines were modern (except for the one she was selling me :-D )
Oooooohhhhh, now THERE'S some eye candy. Beautiful!! Such a shame the lady decided to get rid of the 'good' machine. That is, a shame for her, but good for you! LOL