Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-18-2011, 06:00 PM

I get tickled whenever I see a "foot" for a machine that has a human foot shape! I know nothing about that machine, but love looking at them!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 PM
SEW

Elise Blight...what a beautiful machine! Sorry, I can't answer any of your questions, but just had to let you know that I am envious!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:38 PM

Cowgirl, my 301 will sew with a Schmetz, but will only FMQ with a Singer needle. I'm having trouble with repro bobbins, too. AnnieRose may end as fussy in her own way as Miss Elna.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Cowgirl, my 301 will sew with a Schmetz, but will only FMQ with a Singer needle. I'm having trouble with repro bobbins, too. AnnieRose may end as fussy in her own way as Miss Elna.
Irishrose, I wonder why the difference between sewing and FMQ and needles... what happens when you try to FMQ with non-singer needles? Just curious - I haven't tried FMQ on my vintage Singers.

Judy
Old 04-18-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Chris- Nice collection of beautiful machines. I am afraid your Kitty might be a little jealous that it's been replaced as the apple of your eye :) Love all your new gems. Thanks for sharing the photos. Judy
Thanks for the compliments. No, Romeo hasn't been replaced as the apple of my eye, cat-wise. However, am having troubler deciding which machine I want to use for quilting my current project. Would love to try Rebecca, 301, but only have one bobbin and not sure which size she uses. I will use her on my next project though cuz her bobbin plate cover has increments that start with 1/4 inch!!! How cool is that!! Aren't I such a dork for being so excited over such a litttle thing?? Yes, folks, I am but things like that make my day.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I will use her on my next project though cuz her bobbin plate cover has increments that start with 1/4 inch!!! How cool is that!! Aren't I such a dork for being so excited over such a litttle thing?? Yes, folks, I am but things like that make my day.
Oh yeah, and makes me smile too.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:23 PM

Wow Elsie didn't you get two lovely machines!! Sorry can't help with any info on either but pleased they followed you home.

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 04-18-2011, 07:34 PM

When I took a FMQ class, AnnieRose sewed perfectly, but I pulled the fabric too hard and clipped the needle plate so I changed the needle. She started breaking threads. The instructor said to try another needle. Annie was perfect again. The first and third needles were Singers, the middle one a Schmetz. I duplicated the results at home the next day because personally, I prefer the Schmetz and didn't really want to have to bother with two brands. AnnieRose hasn't been fussy about bobbins until this week. When a reproduction bobbin is in the tension will go screwy periodically. With my lone original bobbin, never. FMQ with one bobbin isn't any harder than with multiple bobbins unless you are changing colors. Somehow I don't think i willbe able to find any more original bobbins. I will look for a different repro. April1930s' are tiny bit thicker than the original.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:48 PM

Rose, have you tried prewound bobbins? I have hundred's (in many colours) but haven't yet tried them in the Singer 99.

Use them all the time in my Janome embroidery and sewing machines although I'm yet to be convinced the thread would be strong enough for garment assembly.

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 04-18-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
AnnieRose hasn't been fussy about bobbins until this week. When a reproduction bobbin is in the tension will go screwy periodically. With my lone original bobbin, never. FMQ with one bobbin isn't any harder than with multiple bobbins unless you are changing colors. Somehow I don't think i willbe able to find any more original bobbins. I will look for a different repro. April1930s' are tiny bit thicker than the original.
Rose; Have you asked Billy aka Lostn51 if he has any originals? He sometimes has them and is very reasonable as to prices and shipping. I am in the same boat with my 301 unless it takes the same bobbin as a FW because I have several bobbins with my FW. PM him, he's pretty quick to answer.