Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-19-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Grandmother23
I cleaned my Spartan this morning, not a "Billy" clean, but just an oil and goop one. This one must never have been cleaned of lint in the 51 years of its life. Threaded it, wound a bobbin, and sewed. I'm not real sure on the tension as I need more practice with this part. My problem comes in with the stitch regulator. I can turn the knob and move it up and down and then turn the knob to set the stitch length. When I sew the vibration makes the knob move up and the stitch length gets shorter and shorter. A couple of the braces it sits on is chipped so it does not sit square in the base but I think this has nothing to do with the stitch regulator and the vibration of the machine. I really like this little machine and it is another one I will definitely sew on. So any help is appreciated. Think I will now go pick Blackberries. :lol:
Grandmother23, I bet your vibration has a lot to do with those chipped braces under that machine. I found a Spartan last spring with the same problem. My DH made new little braces for the inside of that little case to give my machine something level and solid to sit on. It sewed perfect after that.

Nancy
You are correct, I bet. Those plastic "fins" in the case that are supposed to support the machine are very brittle and originally had little u-shaped rubber shock absorbers on top, but they disappear. IT is best to improvise some replacement. I had to do that.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I came home with two machines. One was a 301 which runs so sweet, she sings. However, no attachments or manual. Her name is Rebecca (name of one of Betsy Ross' sisters which is what I named my FW.) The other machine was the green Bernina, model 117L, a zigzag model.
Yeah, you got just what I would have gone after - the 301 and the green Bernina! Congratulations! Nancy
Nancy; Thank you. I will post pics of the unidentified feet and dohickeys when I have time and better pics of each one. May have figured out one of the dohickeys. It may be a tool for the hinges to either loosen or tighten whichever is needed. I say that b/c it's a bent nail with a triangular shaped end which someone machined. My grandfather machined some tools and I saw things like that occasionally.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:07 AM

Billy,
I bought this thinking it was a child's toy machine. I was really surprised to open the box! The case had no key, so I've had to use a screwdriver to get the case to open. Can you give me any information on the machine? Also, any idea where I could get a key, or should I just keep using the screwdriver? Thanks. star619
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-186278.jpe
Views:	406
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	186284  
Old 04-19-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by star619
Billy,
I bought this thinking it was a child's toy machine. I was really surprised to open the box! The case had no key, so I've had to use a screwdriver to get the case to open. Can you give me any information on the machine? Also, any idea where I could get a key, or should I just keep using the screwdriver? Thanks. star619
I'm not Billy, star691, but I have found those keys to the useless locks that come with a suitcase will open the locks on my Singer treadle and bentwood tops. Don't know why I ever saved them but now I'm glad I did! Jan
Old 04-19-2011, 08:14 AM

Billy,
Love your machine! I would love to find one for my DGD...she loves to sew on mine. {on my treadle too} Check out this link: http://www.sewalot.com/singer_through_the_ages.htm
I found this 2nd site to date mine: http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland....re/page19.html You can date it by the serial number stamped on the plate on the right side of your machine, in the front. Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:17 AM

Billy,
Beautiful machine and the decals are in great shape. Lucky you.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
OK Vintage Machine owners...another question...On my 301 and my Redeye when you wind bobbin the needle goes up and down also...Is there some way to wind the bobbin without that happenning? I'm thinking not...but maybe I'm missing something.
Yes turn the center knob on the handwheel clockwise and the wheel will free spin loading the bobbin and the needle will not move. Glenn
Mine does not stop when I loosen the center knob on the hand wheel to wind the bobbin. Any ideas?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Moz

Mine does that also from time to time. I take the knob off and fiddle with the plate behind it but I know there's a specific way to deal with this that makes more sense.

Mine does not stop when I loosen the center knob on the hand wheel to wind the bobbin. Any ideas?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Moz
Mine does that also from time to time. I take the knob off and fiddle with the plate behind it but I know there's a specific way to deal with this that makes more sense.

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
My FW has done this for a number of years & now my 403 has started it too. Would welcome more how-to info on fixing this problem on both my machines.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:59 AM

I may have solved my 301 bobbin problem. The repros are about the same height laying side by side with the original, but the edges are a little more pronounced. I took a pair of pliers and moved the edges a little closer together all around the circumference of the bobbin. So far so good. Time will tell.

star619, that machine looks to be the size of my 128, which is a 3/4 size machine, but not a toy.