I bought some fabric from Walmart >

I bought some fabric from Walmart

I bought some fabric from Walmart

Old 04-21-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Originally Posted by cinjosie
3 extra inches is cheating the store!
Oh good grief!

The store manager does not want cut fabric returned because it was crooked and cheated the customer out of the amount she paid for. The extra inches is far cheaper to give then have cut fabric returned or complaints sent to the main office about being cheated on cut fabric. I was told the general rule was to cut at least 1 inch more and give the last quarter yard on the bolt as extra.
I agree........an inch or two is not going to break the bank. The Walmart near us moved into a Super Walmart and in the old Walmart they were selling bolts of flannel for $3.00 a bolt! I managed to grab 7! Just goes to prove how great the markup is AND the new Super Walmart has fabric and crafts :-D
Old 04-21-2011, 04:52 PM

I too had that happen, not quite 3 inches more, but a bit more for sure. this was at wallmart in piqua ohio. i was very impressed, as good customer service.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dingle
It's always nice to get a little extra but if they keep doing that they could lose their job due to theft. When they have their yearly inventory the system will say they have x amount of each fabric they carry. If it's not counted and they have a high shrink you can bet they will look into it. Wal-Mart does concider that theft and they will get fired. 3 inches extra per cut does add up. It also causes prices to go up due to the shrink.

Just sayin...
I worked at JoAnn, and the variance from stated yardage on the bolt end was staggering. I do not think they can get a precise number in inventory because they do not get a precise amount in!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:47 PM

great for her
Old 04-21-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
I bought 3 peices of fabric from walmart, 1 yard, red, 1 yard white, 1 yard black all the palencia brand. Because I am going to make a quilt called "Ants go Marching" from McCalls Quick Quilts September 2009 Issue.

Not sure if the brand matters or not, but I have found that the palencia brand is thicker then some others.

Anyways I give the fabric to the lady to cut and I tell her I would like 1 yard of each fabric. So she opens the bolt to measure out a yard and I noticed that she had not butted it up to the beginning of the yard stick they use, she had went BEYOND the yard stick about 3 inches. I was stunned and I told the lady "Wow do you realize that you are giving me about 3 inches more then the yard". The woman says yes I do did you not want me to do that. I told her oh no she can do it however she wants to and I was just shocked that she was doing that. She told me that she is also a quilter and it makes her madder then a hornet when they measure the fabric EXACTLY for what you ask for. Then she says...And if Walmart wants to fire me over it ...LET THEM. LOL.
Are you aware that 'Palencia' from Walmart is a cotton/Polyester blend? Just thought I would point it out, in case you didn't see the label. Good luck with your project. :D
Old 04-21-2011, 07:24 PM

do you buy at Paducah or Murray
Old 04-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
I bought 3 peices of fabric from walmart, 1 yard, red, 1 yard white, 1 yard black all the palencia brand. Because I am going to make a quilt called "Ants go Marching" from McCalls Quick Quilts September 2009 Issue.

Not sure if the brand matters or not, but I have found that the palencia brand is thicker then some others.

Anyways I give the fabric to the lady to cut and I tell her I would like 1 yard of each fabric. So she opens the bolt to measure out a yard and I noticed that she had not butted it up to the beginning of the yard stick they use, she had went BEYOND the yard stick about 3 inches. I was stunned and I told the lady "Wow do you realize that you are giving me about 3 inches more then the yard". The woman says yes I do did you not want me to do that. I told her oh no she can do it however she wants to and I was just shocked that she was doing that. She told me that she is also a quilter and it makes her madder then a hornet when they measure the fabric EXACTLY for what you ask for. Then she says...And if Walmart wants to fire me over it ...LET THEM. LOL.
Glad you at least got a full yar measure. That's really unusual, unless it is at the end of the bold. I really like the palencia fabric. I always prewash but have never had any to bleed on me. I love how it sews up . Just don't ever get the fab. that is priced about the same as palencia but a little thinner, named spring something or sun something, I can't remember, but I had to have some read for a wall hanging I was doing once, and didn't prewash it, was in a hurry, but was pressing it to a particular shape and it shrunk when I pressed it, I thought at first i had cut the block too small, so I cut some more and was sure of the size, but when I pressed it, and started to use it , that stuff had shrunk about 1/4-1/2 inch on each square.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:53 AM

While purchasing fabric in a shop, I questioned an uneven cut and rather than give me that smidgen of fabric, they trimmed an inch off and threw it away......

and then there are the others who would will move their ruler over that inch.

In our Walmart, when they had bolts of fabric, one could purchase any amount from an additional inch on upward. I, many times, asked for that extra inch or two. Rather pay than be without when cutting later.

Other stores will not cut less than an 1/8 yard increments.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie

Glad you at least got a full yar measure. That's really unusual, unless it is at the end of the bold. I really like the palencia fabric. I always prewash but have never had any to bleed on me. I love how it sews up . Just don't ever get the fab. that is priced about the same as palencia but a little thinner, named spring something or sun something, I can't remember, but I had to have some read for a wall hanging I was doing once, and didn't prewash it, was in a hurry, but was pressing it to a particular shape and it shrunk when I pressed it, I thought at first i had cut the block too small, so I cut some more and was sure of the size, but when I pressed it, and started to use it , that stuff had shrunk about 1/4-1/2 inch on each square.
That was probably a 100% poly fabric...they have to have a lower setting on the iron, or they will draw up, just like a plastic cutting matt will warp/draw up in the sun.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 AM

Clerks like this are the reason Wal-Mart got rid of fabric to begin with. If the department isn't making a good profit margin they will be gone. In some regions this would also be considered as in-store theft by the clerk.