Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-28-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by buslady

i bought a 99 on ebay that was in a homemade case, i need one for my 66, so i sent both machines to my dsil for him to make a base for it using the other as a "guide". he hasnt finished yet
Wow, how lucky are you to have a DSIL that can make things like those cases!

Nancy
Old 04-28-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Here you go....I have a couple more I'll send.
Randa, do you know who made that machine and what year it is made?

There is a Damascus Grand rotary machine sold by Montgomery Wards and made by the National Sewing Machine Company. The Damascus had very ornate decals, but the throat plate, bobbin plate look the same as your machine. Was it made for Montgomery Wards? Cute machine, I sometimes wonder, though, why so many companies jumped on that Godzilla finish? It seems all the different companies made those! Thanks for posting a picture!

Nancy

That is interesting, I see that Monica posted that your Grand Rotary looks alot like the Graybar she has. Since, National made sewing machines for Western Electric for two years before Graybar split off to form the Graybar Company - I wonder if it was made by National? I think that Godzilla finish happened earlier than the 1940's. Does anyone have a Godzilla type machine earlier than 1940's?

Actually, my White with the Black Crinkle Embossed finish is from 1931.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:21 AM

[quote=sewbizgirl]VERY scary day full of tornadoes down here yesterday! We are safe, but there were so many tornadoes it was unbelievable. And so many lives lost! I was driving when one of the tornadoes was passing, maybe 10 miles away. The siren came on, and for the first time in my life I heard a man's voice come out of the speaker telling everyone to "take cover". I just drove faster, as we have a full underground basement in our house. My son is in Memphis where they were pretty hard hit, too. (Not him, tho...thank the Lord.) I had the lanterns out, but we never lost power.[quote]

Those outfits are adorable! Glad to hear you got through the tornados Ok! That would have scared me to death as we don't have to deal with 'real' tornados in California! I am worried about Billy - very quiet, no news from him yet!

Nancy
Old 04-28-2011, 08:26 AM

Glenn, glad you are safe, sorry about the beautiful trees.

Pray to hear soon that Billy and his family are safe.

Pray the storms end soon and all can recover as quick as possible for all our southern neighbors.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Banned

Hi all I am still among the living and the family is doing well. We had our lunch handed to us on a silver platter! The only sounds that you can hear right now are generators and chainsaws running. This place looks like a war zone!!

I have a weather station set up here at the house and we had 117mph straight line winds and at one time there were 6 tornadoes on the ground at the same time. I saw one go over my house before touching down not far from me. It sounded like you had a freight train fly over shaking the house when it passed. My wife was scared and I was loving it! But I need to cut a tree down and replace the roof on my house. And thanks to the limbs falling and the massive amount of water that came down I will more than likely relandscape the property.

But the Studio and machines survived!!! :D

Billy
Old 04-28-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
VERY scary day full of tornadoes down here yesterday! We are safe, but there were so many tornadoes it was unbelievable. And so many lives lost! I was driving when one of the tornadoes was passing, maybe 10 miles away. The siren came on, and for the first time in my life I heard a man's voice come out of the speaker telling everyone to "take cover". I just drove faster, as we have a full underground basement in our house. My son is in Memphis where they were pretty hard hit, too. (Not him, tho...thank the Lord.) I had the lanterns out, but we never lost power.

On the upside, I finished the two outfits I was sewing for my daughter's two neices. I did most of it on the 66. These are the outfits I was making the ruffles for, with my ruffler attachement I spoke of earlier. If you want to see them:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-119400-1.htm#3130865
Absolutely adorable outfits !!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hi all I am still among the living and the family is doing well. We had our lunch handed to us on a silver platter! The only sounds that you can hear right now are generators and chainsaws running. This place looks like a war zone!!

I have a weather station set up here at the house and we had 117mph straight line winds and at one time there were 6 tornadoes on the ground at the same time. I saw one go over my house before touching down not far from me. It sounded like you had a freight train fly over shaking the house when it passed. My wife was scared and I was loving it! But I need to cut a tree down and replace the roof on my house. And thanks to the limbs falling and the massive amount of water that came down I will more than likely relandscape the property.

Billy
So relieved after your post. A lot of us were really upset hearing TN got hit so hard. The world seems to be changing, wonder if and when it's going to slow down. (notice I didn't say "stop" ) Prayers for all hit by this storm.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
VERY scary day full of tornadoes down here yesterday! We are safe, but there were so many tornadoes it was unbelievable. And so many lives lost! I was driving when one of the tornadoes was passing, maybe 10 miles away. The siren came on, and for the first time in my life I heard a man's voice come out of the speaker telling everyone to "take cover". I just drove faster, as we have a full underground basement in our house. My son is in Memphis where they were pretty hard hit, too. (Not him, tho...thank the Lord.) I had the lanterns out, but we never lost power.

On the upside, I finished the two outfits I was sewing for my daughter's two neices. I did most of it on the 66. These are the outfits I was making the ruffles for, with my ruffler attachement I spoke of earlier. If you want to see them:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-119400-1.htm#3130865
Glad you are all OK. Is it ever going to end ???????
Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Glenn, glad you are safe, sorry about the beautiful trees.

Pray to hear soon that Billy and his family are safe.

Pray the storms end soon and all can recover as quick as possible for all our southern neighbors.
Happy to hear you're all ok. If it's any consolation, trees can be replaced. Maybe not quite the same but people are one of a kind so again, great to know you are all fine. Also, Billy and family are ok as well. Lot's of good news today as well as some not so good for others, sadly enough.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
Well as long as that's ok, who needs a dumb ole roof anyway :)