Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you sit on? >

What do you sit on?

What do you sit on?

Old 05-18-2011, 03:18 AM

I have been sitting on my childhood desk chair that I recovered to match my sewing room. My back hurt too so for Mother's Day my DH bought a Koala chair that was on sale for a great price at a LQS and dealer. I spend way too much time in that chair to be uncomfortable.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:20 AM

I generally sit on me bumm! :lol:

As for the chair, I have an old office chair that has a sprung back. So, I don't lean back I just sit up straight. One plus is the chair is on casters and I can roll from machine to, ironing board, to computer, and back to the machine again. Little feature but to me I would not be with out those casters. Happy shopping!
Old 05-18-2011, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by rushdoggie
my butt...

hahahaha! ;)
LOL...this is what I was thinking also
Old 05-18-2011, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Thusnelda
From time to time I do have serious back problems - unfortunately I had to have my back operated on in 1997. Since then I tried various chairs. Adjustable office chairs, simple wooden dining chairs, slightly upholstered dining chairs. A couple of months ago I found the unlikeliest solution. A couple of years ago I was given my grandmothers favourite armchair in which she used to sit for hours and hours and knit or do needle-work. She moved into a home for the elderly and couldn't take all her furniture. I love her dearly. Sadly, by now, she's very poorly and barely awake. I did get a response, though, when showing her my newest quilt project last Sunday. As soon as I had finished my corduroy D9P quilt top, I wrapped it up and drove to her.

Anyway, back to the chair, I never thought of using it to sit at a table. I don't know what made me move it to my sewing table. Most likely, it was around the time my grandmother's health deteriorated and I wanted to feel close to her by sitting in her chair. It turned out, that this was the perfect solution. It is rather low, but this is just perfect, even though I'm quite tall. I'd never have thought it and I'm so happy about it. The chair is similar to this one
http://www.antiques-atlas.com/dealer.../as087110b.jpg

Of course it makes sitting down and adjusting the position of the chair and getting up slightly more akward compared to a normal chair. But for me it's just perfect. And I simply love sitting in my grandmother's chair. She used to sew a lot herself - clothes and quilts - and her parents were both professional tailors. This chair emphasizes my feeling of carrying on a family tradition.
I agree wholeheartedly ....... I used an old sewing bench that belonged to my MIL, then tried a straight-backed ladder-back chair. Neither helped my back at all --- had back surgery in '09 and thngs went downhill. I now use a firmly padded occasional chair and its been a godsend for my back .... I can sew in it for extended amounts of time! Good luck in your search - that bench/chair set-up is definatley important!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 03:53 AM
Banned

I have 3 of these chairs, I absolutely love them!
http://www.staples.com/Office-Star-C...cmArea=REORDER
Old 05-18-2011, 03:54 AM

Ditto! Must be comfortable and well-supported or my neck and shoulders ache badly!
Originally Posted by Rose L
I have an office chair with arms that I got a Walmart for around $50. It is height adjustable with a little lever under one side. It has five wheels under it so it's very sturdy.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:02 AM

An adjustable office chair on wheels.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:05 AM

I have an old fashioned rolling secretarial chair at work that keeps my back in the perfect position for me. I managed to find one exactly like it for my home so that when we move I'll be using that for my sewing chair.

Note: I did remove the arms. I can sit in it all day long and not have my back hurting.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:06 AM

I use my adjustable office chair. It has wheels and all the ergonomic adjustments I may ever need. I just roll it out to my dining room where I set up my machine etc.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:08 AM

I am presently using a straight back chair. I had an armless office chair on wheels. I obsolutely love it, but it picks up anything/everything I might drop on the floor in the wheels. I try to put all my threads in a bag, but it is amazing how many the wheels find. After a while, the wheels won't roll until I clean themout. You wouldn't believe how much can get stuck in those wheels and it takes pliers and sissors to get it all out. Anyone know a way around this problem?