Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-28-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Hello fellow members of the the VSMS. I an back from camping and had a great time. Just my luck we had a tornado warning on the the fourth day at the camp grounds but it was nothing!! Did catch some fish and did a little hiking in the woods. Got ticks! Now we are home must mow yard and get ready for our next trip. I did some piecing with the FW on the rainy day. I have so much to catch up on this siite. You people are very busy here. Got to stencil my bent wood case and do other customer work. Glenn
Yuck, I hate ticks! I pull ticks off the horses everytime I take them out to Folsom Lake for a nice ride!

Glenn, isn't it fun to be able to sew on your FW while you guys are out camping? I wish when my parents were still alive and snowbirding all over the country I had known about FW's. Mom tried several different modern machines in the trailer because her Pfaff 130 was just too big, but she didn't like any of them - so she gave up on sewing for a short time! She would of loved a FW or even a 99 or Spartan, although, the 99's and Spartan's are really heavy!

Nancy
Old 05-28-2011, 05:09 AM

Billy - Very happy your safe and sound. Maybe the "nasties" are done for the year for you since you've had more than your share. God bless ............
Old 05-28-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
ok, got a couple great deals today ~ yay! I am hoping between the experts here, they can give me more info on these two finds... Kenmore machine first, son, 11 has been a little jealous of us girls iwth our new sewing space, and we're tinkering with so many toys and gadgets... so he wanted to make his own stuff, so this machine is for him. His very own, so now both kids have "their own" machine with tables!!!

This was given to us, was talking to a lady at an estate sale today where I got a neat old machine (will post that one in a few!)... she said she had an old machine, folds into the table, and they didn't even know how to expose the machine... hubby asked how much, she said "you can have it" Yay!

Got it home, and it has the buttonholer, and ALL the original attachments, and works great!
Fabricwhisper, check out this site and look at the pictures of the White machines made for Sears. Also look at the serial number under "Serial Number/Dating List.

I would be willing to bet that machine was made by White. The first clue is the bobbin, that is a classic White bobbin. The Serial Number/Dating List has the 117.83 through 117.101 listed with manufacturing dates between 1938 and 1942. Your machine is later than those dates, probably in the 1950's. http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession

Nancy

Also check out this site. Scroll down toward the last picture, there is a Kenmore that looks similar to yours. http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html
Old 05-28-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Trish and Nancy - You've motivated me! Got the fabric out to make the purse and wondered ~ Do you draw grid lines for quilting or do you use the Quilting Guide attachment only?

Trish your purses are so adorable - I specially like the pink plaid one. Thanks for posting your photos, it really was the boost I needed to get busy.

Judy
Judy, I'd draw the first line, then use the quilting guide after that! Have fun and please post pictures when you are done!

Nancy
Old 05-28-2011, 05:28 AM

this is a 15 clone? ??? really? I had no idea what it was, but never would have suspected that! the only gold that is messed up is the name on the front ~ looks like someone had a label on there, like an address label, and then removed it. its a perfect rectangle "removed" from the decal. and some normal rubbing on the top name gold.

Looked at my receipt ~ she charged me $24 for the machine. And the one lady must have overheard me talking to my husband, because they added $10 to the bill for the attachments box. So $34 for both. The feet in the black box are not for the Martin.

Now to figure out how in the world to get the musty smell out of the case... yes, we have the full case top & bottom for the Martin machine. we unscrewed the sewing head from the box base, it is a strong smell... the box lives on the porch until further notice!!! already cleaned up the machine a little... wow, sews SMOOTH!
Yes, that is a 15 clone! Look at that face plate! Those clone's are just the best machines! You will love that machine and you got it for a steal!

Nancy
Old 05-28-2011, 05:37 AM

The young lady riding the horse is in her 20's - her father passed away just 24 days before this performance. She can't hear, nor can she speak. No bridle, no saddle... all commands are by touch only.
Holy cats, the love between her and that gorgeous beast is tremendous. I was in tears :thumbup:
I taught tackless training for many years and rehabbed hundreds of "untrainable" or "dangerous" horses--most of which just needed to know they were not going to be hurt again!.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:38 AM

Nancy and QuiltnCowgirl: Thought you might like to see this video. My father sent it to me and I wanted to share.

According to the info in my email ~ The young lady riding the horse is in her 20's - her father passed away just 24 days before this performance. She can't hear, nor can she speak. No bridle, no saddle... all commands are by touch only. This is one of those, "I wouldn't believe it unless I saw it with my own eyes" kind of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKK7AXLOUNo

Judy
Judy, thank you - I have seen this video several times and each time I am just in awe of Stacy. She is a fantastic trainer, but she does hear and she speaks very well. I have been to her clinics and she is a great person. That was a really moving ride -- quite amazing and touching as she dedicated it to her dad.

Nancy
Old 05-28-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
this is a 15 clone? ??? really? I had no idea what it was, but never would have suspected that! the only gold that is messed up is the name on the front ~ looks like someone had a label on there, like an address label, and then removed it. its a perfect rectangle "removed" from the decal. and some normal rubbing on the top name gold.

Looked at my receipt ~ she charged me $24 for the machine. And the one lady must have overheard me talking to my husband, because they added $10 to the bill for the attachments box. So $34 for both. The feet in the black box are not for the Martin.

Now to figure out how in the world to get the musty smell out of the case... yes, we have the full case top & bottom for the Martin machine. we unscrewed the sewing head from the box base, it is a strong smell... the box lives on the porch until further notice!!! already cleaned up the machine a little... wow, sews SMOOTH!
Yes, that is a 15 clone! Look at that face plate! Those clone's are just the best machines! You will love that machine and you got it for a steal!

Nancy
I have an old Precison Deluxe--tomilu just serviced her--and she will be in use again today...those 15 clones are great machines~
Old 05-28-2011, 05:44 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I have no manual for the clone ~ found a threading guide online, for the clones/15s/66s ~ but it freezes up my browser everytime I try to view it. Anyone have a threading guide so my kids can easily thread the different machines? They want to test drive my clone LOL ~ they have their own machines, yet STILL want to play with my toys?!? Geez, I wish my mommy didn't teach me to share !!!
Old 05-28-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA
Vintage machine help needed please:
I found these few on our local craigslist would like to know 'if you would purchase one of these' thanks.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/atq/2383283637.html
no further info on this one yet
this one is still availabe for $50.00

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/atq/2325344346.html

Since I am not as well 'versed' in these vintage SM i was hoping some of youcould help direct me to the better of the two, or if I should purchase either one of them at all.?

Is there something I should or should not be looking for in either of these? I am mainly wanting one (b/c yall brag on them so much that I wanted one too! :) aLSO ONE THAT MASKES GOOD STITCHES FOR PIECING.
thanks everyone for the help, in advance!
Yall are greAt!
The first one is a Singer Model 15 and that is the one I'd take! It has reverse, it drops its feed dogs, and those machine sew a beautiful stitch.

The second one - the 99 is also a great machine. It is a 3/4 size machine, but that one does not have a reverse nor drop its feed dogs.

So it just depends on what you want to do? The Model 15 is a full sized machine. The Model 99 is a 3/4 size machine. Both are great machines, both have bobbins that are very easy to find, both sew great.

Nancy