Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-28-2011, 05:57 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Nancy ~ does my clone drop the dogs too? How? I have a whole new machine to learn about :) :) :) OMG I will be thrilled if I can FMQ on the clone!
Old 05-28-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
Nancy ~ does my clone drop the dogs too? How? I have a whole new machine to learn about :) :) :) OMG I will be thrilled if I can FMQ on the clone!
It should---there is a screw underneath---look at a manual online....
OR you can cover the feed dogs and FMQ...
Old 05-28-2011, 06:01 AM

Yes, see that round switch at the base of the arm? Turn that and your feed dogs should drop! That is what's so nice about the 'clones.' They are actually made better than the actual Singer 15's, which had to be lifted up so you could turn the thumb screw underneath the machine. You have a knob on the bed that does that! Try it and let me know if it works!

Nancy
Old 05-28-2011, 06:13 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Yes, see that round switch at the base of the arm? Turn that and your feed dogs should drop! That is what's so nice about the 'clones.' They are actually made better than the actual Singer 15's, which had to be lifted up so you could turn the thumb screw underneath the machine. You have a knob on the bed that does that! Try it and let me know if it works!

Nancy
:shock: the little silver knob ~ marked "embr" / "silk" / "norm" ~ and it drops the FD!!! I had removed the motor last night for cleaning, only hand-crank power right now... let me put her back together and play!

I cannot believe how clean this machine is ~ she has the "smell" but other than that, very little scratching, the japanblack is nearly pristine, and 95% + of the decals are pristine! I think she was only used to hem curtains or something. Wow. She's going to be fun, and I just HAVE to use her for a little while on my niece's vintage butterfly hanky quilt that I am trying to get done! It just feels right LOL

wedding is June 25th ~ one month to finish!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]203371[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-203365.jpe
Views:	134
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	203371  
Old 05-28-2011, 06:56 AM

That quilt is so pretty!
Old 05-28-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by emmah
Thank you. What we got was just a bunch of wind and some hail, but nothing bad. I guess I would rather the weather service be cautious than have no warning.
Yard "sale-ing" today produced 2 vintage sewing machines-$3 apiece-a 15 clone in blue and white named Ambassador, and a green Kenmore that was my first machine--now used by my non quilting sister for mending.
Someone had used some terrible stuff to "oil" the Kenmore, it was slopped all over the machine and was like orange chewing gum. After trying kerosene and liquid wrench to no avail, I finally remembered that ammonia cuts grease very well, so toothbrushed it all over the place. Took hours to get the gummy stuff out and loosen up the machine. Now to oil the machine and put it all back together.
It is so fun!!!
What????? You got a 15 clone for $3? What is wrong with it? When are you going to post pictures? Congratulations!

Nancy
The 15 clone looks in perfect shape, not gummed up or anything.
I haven't tried it yet, but got the Kenmore going and it sews perfectly. The gummy oily stuff on the Kenmore was the color and consistancy of EARWAX. Can you imagine how sticky and gluey it was!!! (I thought of that image while I was doing some fine cleaning around the machine with qtips!)
Glad to hear Billy is surviving another storm. When the sun is shining and the storms are past, the world seems like its been scrubbed and polished..............kinda like what we do with these old machines.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:49 AM

OH BOY! My dsil just brought me the machine from accross the road. We have decided the letter might be a G. making it a 128, according to a very helpful member of this board. It is the first machine i have even seen with the bullet shaped bobbin case. The decals are bright and in good shape. thejapan isblistered a little, and the wiring is very scary. all in all i am a happy camper!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:23 AM

does anyone know what this foot's purpose is? I've seen some like it, but not quite... it came with my black case with my clone yesterday, but has the right fitting for son's Kenmore "tank" ~ ??? inquiring minds want to know :)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-203449.jpe
Views:	333
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	203455  
Old 05-28-2011, 09:29 AM

Those top clamps are for the Kenmore, and to be honest, I'm not sure if this one is a pintuck attachment or a hemmer...
Old 05-28-2011, 09:38 AM

does anyone know what this foot's purpose is? I've seen some like it, but not quite... it came with my black case with my clone yesterday, but has the right fitting for son's Kenmore "tank" ~ ??? inquiring minds want to know :)
I recently learned that on the Singer attachments they have a number engraved in them. If you 'google' the numbers followed by singer attachments it will lead to you sites that will identify what they are and the machines they work for. Not sure if the Kenmores do that or not. Worth a try.