Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-28-2011, 11:48 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by Charlee
Try any short shank darning/hopping foot...or release the pressure on the presser foot. The knob on top of the machine above the presser foot should release the pressure (or apply it) Another option is to remove the presser foot completely and sew without it...remembering to put the lever down each time! ;)
OMG ~ blonde moment ~ THAT's what that knob is for?! I hope you're all getting a good giggle from my bumbledummyness LOL ~ I am surely laughing at myself!
Old 05-28-2011, 11:51 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

Originally Posted by greenini
Do you think someone ought to bother to tell the Pensacola person they've got a Supermatic, not a Grasshopper?

I don't believe I will ever get my Grasshopper, it was my MIL's and after she threw it across 20 ft at my DH and the cop who were trying to get her to the hospital to get checked out...well somehow it just has shall we say bad feelings associated with it???
Oh my, hope all was ok afterward? I am not familiar with the Supermatics... but I really like the top machine, and the lower left corner one... and I've sent emails to my friend in Gulf Breeze, as well as the CL poster... not sure if I'll hear back?
Old 05-28-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by greenini
Do you think someone ought to bother to tell the Pensacola person they've got a Supermatic, not a Grasshopper?

I don't believe I will ever get my Grasshopper, it was my MIL's and after she threw it across 20 ft at my DH and the cop who were trying to get her to the hospital to get checked out...well somehow it just has shall we say bad feelings associated with it???
LOL :lol: Quite a few times I have wanted to inform craigslist sellers that they don't have what they think they have... then, I realize that it's ok if everyone isn't as 'educated' on vintage machines as I am... or, think I am! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-28-2011, 12:27 PM

[quote=greenini]Do you think someone ought to bother to tell the Pensacola person they've got a Supermatic, not a Grasshopper?

Does anyone here have an opinion on which is the more desirable machine...the Supermatic or the Grasshopper? A Supermatic made it's way home with me from the auction last week and I know nothing about them...
Old 05-28-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
does anyone know what this foot's purpose is? I've seen some like it, but not quite... it came with my black case with my clone yesterday, but has the right fitting for son's Kenmore "tank" ~ ??? inquiring minds want to know :)
That looks like a foot to my White. I do not know what it is for either. Hope someone can shade a little light on this, Nancy? Kathie
Old 05-28-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
does anyone know what this foot's purpose is? I've seen some like it, but not quite... it came with my black case with my clone yesterday, but has the right fitting for son's Kenmore "tank" ~ ??? inquiring minds want to know :)
That looks like a foot to my White. I do not know what it is for either. Hope someone can shade a little light on this, Nancy? Kathie

My inclination is that it's an adjustable hemmer... but don't think I've ever seen one like that before...
Old 05-28-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Minnesota newbie
I'm a proud owner of a FW today,I've read every post and love seeing all the machines and the knowledge that you all have!My FW came in a wood round top case #AC613069 knee lever no foot pedal,other New home treadle in cabinet all the way to floor enclesed and treadle inside #4134573 theres a grayhound or something on bed of machine.any info would greatly be appreciated.My fiance'is having a ball getting these machines and cleaning per billys inst.Fun bullet type bobbins on both
Sorry to tell you that you don't have a FW, more likely a Singer 128. The FW serial numbers don't start until the AD series and don't come in a case like you describe.
Sharon W.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:57 PM

Thank you so much ,even though not fw sure is neat machine but i can't seem to find manuals for either sure appreciate your in put as to what i bought thanks.I'll keep looking for FW is my machine anygood I sure look to find one I better read up more b4 I buy another
Old 05-28-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Kathie S.

My inclination is that it's an adjustable hemmer... but don't think I've ever seen one like that before...
I shouldn't second guess myself...it's a pintucker... see this one:

http://www.thesewbox.com/catalog/ite...14/8821984.htm
Old 05-28-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Minnesota newbie
Thank you so much ,even though not fw sure is neat machine but i can't seem to find manuals for either sure appreciate your in put as to what i bought thanks.I'll keep looking for FW is my machine anygood I sure look to find one I better read up more b4 I buy another
If you join the yahoo group, vintage singers, there is a free manual in the group files.
I tried to put the link to the group in here and it won't let me send it.