Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 05-31-2011, 08:13 PM

Wasn't someone looking for an Elna Supermatic just a few days ago?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...pid=12&search=
Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
This is kind of off topic, but at the same time it is topic.

So, how many of you while researching info on vintage machines and usage of vintage machines start folders of the google sites that you found helpful? And how many of you find that you can't find the info that you bookmarked when you are looking for the info to help others? So, you have to just google again. Or when you do recall the bookmarked site where the info is located, you find the site is no longer up; so, you have to google again.

It's so easy to find oneself in the state of confusion while searching through bookmarks.

Time for me to delete bookmarks and organize folders, or just google for the information in the first place.

:? :roll:
Yes, I have run across this problem. I have started a binder, and I print out the information pages I find and put them in it so I don't lose them! Whoever promised we would be a paperless society was wrong!!! Information disappears, and if you don't get it while it's in front of you, you may lose it forever! :wink:
That is so true! I have bookmarked a couple of site only to find that the site has gone down and the info is no longer there.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Went to the flea market today and this is another machine that followed DH home. It's another Davis VF. last patent date is 1886. It had another number under the bobbin plate but forgot what it was. This is our 2nd Davis and she is in real nice condition. Unloaded it from the truck and put the head back in the cabinet and she started sewing. Belt a little loose other than that can't see any problems. Maybe a little cleaning needed and a drink of oil. She was loaded with jewelery. Man said he had needles and other stuff but didn't know they went with the machine. Here is a few pictures of Betty Boops (what DH named her)
Trish, Congrats on your Davis VF. I love those machines for binding work! I like all your attachments that you got with the machine too! Have fun with your Betty Boops!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I am so excited I finally got my Red Eye. Miss Carol was born Jan9, 1923. The top of the cabinet is completely gone. The rest is in good condition. Kathie S.
Kathie, she is beautiful and should clean up really nice. Her decals look really good!
Kathie Congrats on your Singer 66 Red Eye! Pretty machine!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Power Poster

Woohooo congrats!!!!!

Originally Posted by sew wishful
I got such a pleasant surprise while camping this past weekend. My two older daughters called and wanted to come over...to the campground and bring my birthday gift. Lots of comments interjected into the conversation like...did I tell you how awesome this gift is??....or can't wait for you to see this awesome gift we got for you! LOL!! Driving me crazy so I said come on over...NOW!!! LOL! Well, they did come over with this big gift wrapped box in the back of the pickup. More to follow....
Old 05-31-2011, 09:16 PM

I need to buy a new belt for Miss Carol. The treadlon site is talking about the coil spring belts. Any feed back on that one? Kathie
http://www.mcmaster.com/#coil-spring...-belts/=cjcp9b

Here is the company that sells the coil spring belts.

I have order two 3/16 carbon belts, the cheaper 3/16 belts and the connectors that goes with them. The connectors comes in a package of five. So, I decided to purchase two of the 10' belts to cut in half ( may have to check what works best in length for treadle) and then I will have 4 belts for 4 of my treadles.
I like the idea of the ease of changing the machine heads with the coil spring belts and the fact that you can tilt the machine to get to the underside for oiling with out having to take the belt off the wheel. I will let all of you know how I like this over the traditional belts.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
I need to buy a new belt for Miss Carol. The treadlon site is talking about the coil spring belts. Any feed back on that one? Kathie
I couldn't figure out the link - who ever had that sent a pm with no link attached.
Sorry I thought my copy and paste went through. I resent you the info, and now I have posted the link here for all to read. I got busy today with family stuff. But I didn't forget you!

My "users page" is full of helpful info available to all! :)
Old 05-31-2011, 10:40 PM

I use "My Pages' similarly. Click on 'My Pages', choose 'Create a new page' (near bottom), name your page like 'Patterns' or "Sewing Machines', then when it's added, open it. Choose 'Edit', then name the item. Next go to 'Edit' in the upper toolbar and 'Paste' in the drop down box.

To copy a link, you right click on the URL in the very top box that starts http:, then choose 'Copy'. Do this before you open 'My Pages" - you can't paste what you haven't copied. If this isn't clear, let me know.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
how do you "clean" the machine? I might be getting these
http://charleston.craigslist.org/atq/2409364827.html
and I wanted to make them shiny again :)
Did you get these? Billy has a tut on cleaning the machines. It intimidated me! I am not good at mechanics. I was just given a 99K and thought about cleaning her but I don't know if I am up to all that.

post pictures if you get them and clean them up. I would love to see them.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
OK, here goes Stranger... :lol:

USER'S PAGES & how to use them to save info to readily access it.

Oh great, I have been calling them ‘my pages’ but really it’s called USER’S PAGES (list). So, in order for you to see how I have done mine, open up my profile and then go down and click on LIST next to USER’S PAGES on my profile. Each topic listed is a separate page. Each time you want to add to your page, you click EDIT PAGE at the top of that page after clicking on the page.

I usually type in a short blurb to remind me what is in the web address I am going to save, then make a colon, hit the space bar twice and then right click on the mouse and click edit/paste of whatever I am saving.

When you go back to look up information, you only need to click on the title of a topic and then you can click on the URL of the page you want to open. For instance on my USER’S PAGES if you click on Vintage Sewing Machines page and then click on the URL in blue for Attachments & how to use them, it will open up that page on the Internet.

That might be clear as mud. Then, when I want to look up my info or look up info someone has saved on their USER’S PAGES, it is readily available. Please let me know if you need me to explain better than I have done.
Well, you lost me at edit....so let's just say I want to save a page on VSMS. When I bookmark it I find I get the whole 1100 and some pages. So if I find a page I want to save, where do I find edit page? And is it a right click on the page?
I hate showing my stupidity this way!! I can usually find my way around computers once I'm shown, but to do things on my own is scary!!!