Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-01-2011, 02:46 AM

I purchased a Singer on ebay. It arrived yesterday and was not as the photo showed on the site. The plate over the bobbin was missing, the bobbin winder was broken off, no back plate on the machine and the light was in pieces. There was no bobbin in the machine so I can't test stitching, but the wheel turns. Sounds a little rough, but it needs to be cleaned i'm sure. I have not purchases through ebay before and I'm unsure of the procedure to report the discrepancy. I emailed the seller. He does have insurance for the shipment. I wish it had been packed like Billy does them. Can anyone advise as to how I proceed. If this is in the wrong posting spot I apologize. I am new to all of this.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:44 AM

I picked up another 201-2 last night. Ser # AH635142 date 5/20/48. The man said it started breaking thread so he just bought a MW instead of having it fixed. I wanted to tell him he made a mistake but was afraid he would not sell me the 201. It is in a nice shaker style cabinet that does not need refinshing. I was happy.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by a1crafter
I purchased a Singer on ebay. It arrived yesterday and was not as the photo showed on the site. The plate over the bobbin was missing, the bobbin winder was broken off, no back plate on the machine and the light was in pieces. There was no bobbin in the machine so I can't test stitching, but the wheel turns. Sounds a little rough, but it needs to be cleaned i'm sure. I have not purchases through ebay before and I'm unsure of the procedure to report the discrepancy. I emailed the seller. He does have insurance for the shipment. I wish it had been packed like Billy does them. Can anyone advise as to how I proceed. If this is in the wrong posting spot I apologize. I am new to all of this.
I live in fear of sellers who have no idea how to pack a sewing machine. Try to work with your seller, if that doesn't help, file a complaint with paypal. What model of Singer is your machine? Can you please post the auction #number so we can see what you were supposed to get?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by a1crafter
I live in fear of sellers who have no idea how to pack a sewing machine. Try to work with your seller, if that doesn't help, file a complaint with paypal. What model of Singer is your machine? Can you please post the auction #number so we can see what you were supposed to get?
So sorry your machine arrived damaged. As Purple said if your seller won't cooperate file a complaint with Paypal, all the info is on their website just make sure you do it sooner rather than later because if it's past the cutoff date they won't want to know you.

In the meantime, take photos of the damage and keep a copy of the eBay listing along with those photos so you have the 'before' and 'after' shots. If you still aren't sure of the procedure to follow, they have a toll free number you can call and they will assist you.

I think the insurance only covers for actual damage while in transit...at least that's how it works here (Australia) it won't cover 'item not as described' on eBay. That's where Paypal steps in. At least Paypal now refunds postage costs when something like this goes wrong, which is a huge improvement.

Again, sorry it's turned out like this, it's not nice when someone ships a faulty (or damaged) item, no matter what it is!

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 06-01-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
OK, here goes Stranger... :lol:

USER'S PAGES & how to use them to save info to readily access it.

Oh great, I have been calling them ‘my pages’ but really it’s called USER’S PAGES (list). So, in order for you to see how I have done mine, open up my profile and then go down and click on LIST next to USER’S PAGES on my profile. Each topic listed is a separate page. Each time you want to add to your page, you click EDIT PAGE at the top of that page after clicking on the page.

I usually type in a short blurb to remind me what is in the web address I am going to save, then make a colon, hit the space bar twice and then right click on the mouse and click edit/paste of whatever I am saving.

When you go back to look up information, you only need to click on the title of a topic and then you can click on the URL of the page you want to open. For instance on my USER’S PAGES if you click on Vintage Sewing Machines page and then click on the URL in blue for Attachments & how to use them, it will open up that page on the Internet.

That might be clear as mud. Then, when I want to look up my info or look up info someone has saved on their USER’S PAGES, it is readily available. Please let me know if you need me to explain better than I have done.
Well, you lost me at edit....so let's just say I want to save a page on VSMS. When I bookmark it I find I get the whole 1100 and some pages. So if I find a page I want to save, where do I find edit page? And is it a right click on the page?
I hate showing my stupidity this way!! I can usually find my way around computers once I'm shown, but to do things on my own is scary!!!
No questions are stupid... isn't that the motto of this shop? Yup, I am pretty sure it is. I have found that it helps if you open the VSMS two times. That way you can read the directions here and work on your 'User Pages' on the other one. In fact, I have started leaving an open site of VSMS so I can access my profile more easily to save info. Especially concerning Vintage Machines you want to be able to save and access a lot of important info. And, yes, you can save a particular page of VSMS. Just make sure you write a blurb as to what that info is, hit colon, two spaces and then right click/save your URL of that specific page.

OK, create a page in your 'User's Pages'.

Type in the info you want on that page. Go to the bottom of that page where it says 'Save" and click it.

Next time you want to save something to that particular page, you open up User's Pages, click on the title of the page you want to save items to and at the top it will say 'Edit Page'. That means you want to open it so you can add info. If you don't click 'Edit Page' you won't be able to add anything to it. Then, you always hit save once you have put your info on that page.

Something I just noticed, which I think is very weird... Last night in My Profile it was saying 'User's Pages', now this morning it is saying 'My Pages'. I don't understand why that is but I know I checked it out several times last night because I thought in the past it was saying 'My Pages'. Oh well. They are one and the same. Whew!

You, or anyone, can look at the 'My Pages' on My Profile but only I can edit/add/delete anything on it.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. It is worth working through so you can take advantage of using this feature. Much more convenient that Bookmarking.

:-D
Old 06-01-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I need to buy a new belt for Miss Carol. The treadlon site is talking about the coil spring belts. Any feed back on that one? Kathie
I watched the u-tube that Monica sent on the spring belts. It looks really interesting, but I wonder how hard that spring belt will be on the wheel and treadle groove after continued use? The gal who did the video had put a piece (I think it was leather) to quiet the machine down on the wheel belt groove. But, I still wonder about the affect on the machine after continued use with a coil spring?

Nancy
Old 06-01-2011, 05:20 AM

I got such a pleasant surprise while camping this past weekend. My two older daughters called and wanted to come over...to the campground and bring my birthday gift. Lots of comments interjected into the conversation like...did I tell you how awesome this gift is??....or can't wait for you to see this awesome gift we got for you! LOL!! Driving me crazy so I said come on over...NOW!!! LOL! Well, they did come over with this big gift wrapped box in the back of the pickup. More to follow....
Happy Birthday Randa! How sweet of your daughters to give you something so special and that they were so excited to give it to you. :-D
Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 AM

I got such a pleasant surprise while camping this past weekend. My two older daughters called and wanted to come over...to the campground and bring my birthday gift. Lots of comments interjected into the conversation like...did I tell you how awesome this gift is??....or can't wait for you to see this awesome gift we got for you! LOL!! Driving me crazy so I said come on over...NOW!!! LOL! Well, they did come over with this big gift wrapped box in the back of the pickup. More to follow....
Randa, I am a couple pages behind so you may have already been told this, but do you realize that blue around the badge is for the 'centennial' model. Even though Singer started in 1851 and their Centennial models were 1951, they started appearing in the mid range of the AJ series in 1950. Congratulations, what sweet daughters you have!

Nancy
Old 06-01-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
Originally Posted by BoJangles

Annesthreads, it is too bad you can't find a Model 15. I think the Model 15's or the Model 15 clones do the best at FWQting. I don't have a 201 so I really can't judge that machine, but as you probably know Singer always advertised the 201 machine as the 'finest Singer ever made.' It seems the consensus on here is that the 201 is a great piecing, sewing machine, but the 15's are superior at FMQting. I do a lot of free motion on my 15 and it works wonderfully.

Are just talking about just replacing the belt? That is an easy thing to do.
Nancy
Thanks Nancy. I've seen one or 2 15s advertised, but far more 201s. I may get the 201, see how I go and maybe keep looking for a 15
Don't pass up a Precision if you see one--great machines, and usually pretty easy to find....!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:23 AM

New here but just bought a treadle sewing machine serial number is 3218618 and it needs a new belt where do I go to find one of those?