Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-13-2011, 06:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Honchey
Question??? Are handcrank parts all the same size for use on any qualified model? ie: 66, 15, etc. Anne
Yeah they will all interchange with each other.

Billy
Old 06-13-2011, 06:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Question??? Are handcrank parts all the same size for use on any qualified model? ie: 66, 15, etc. Anne
Well Anne, Miz Johnny can answer this question in detail, but yes and no! The new reproduction HC's work on the 66, 15, 99, 99k, 28, 128 if the machines have the spoked hand wheel, but if you want to put a HC on something other than a Singer you will have to find the original HC for that model. Most of the repro's won't work on say a New Home, etc.

Nancy
You beat me to it! :lol: And she is right I forgot about some of the earlier models like the 27 and 28's that do not have the boss for the motors.

Billy
Old 06-13-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
Do you just need old wooden spools to wind thread on? I have a few, and I feel sure you could rig up a winder to rewind them.
Phyllis if you are talking about the Two Spools, yes any old wooden spool that will fit in the spool can works!

Nancy
If anyone gets desperate for wooden spools, Casey's Wood Works in Maine sells new ones.....

One of my friends used an electric drill to wind spools for her Two Spools--her hubby rigged it up for her. Cannot remember specifics--it has been 30 years!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by okiepastor
If anyone gets desperate for wooden spools, Casey's Wood Works in Maine sells new ones.....

One of my friends used an electric drill to wind spools for her Two Spools--her hubby rigged it up for her. Cannot remember specifics--it has been 30 years!

I never thought about having to wind the wooden spools for the two spools. I am glad I have a huge collection of spools in case I get lucky and find one!!!

Billy
Old 06-13-2011, 06:55 AM

Hey, can I ask a question about my hand-crank machine? I can sew for about 15 minutes before the screw holding the crank comes loose and it starts clunking loudly (and would fall off, I'm sure, if I just kept cranking!). Is this just something that usually happens with the cranks? I keep a screwdriver right next to the machine now so I can tighten it up when this happens, but it's kind of annoying.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:12 AM

I have an opportunity to buy this machine. Is this a 401? I've heard the praises of the 301, but is this machine good too? It looks so sad under all that grime. I just want to take it home and clean it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-210829.jpe
Views:	892
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	210835  
Old 06-13-2011, 07:23 AM

Attention Sewing Machine Guru's. I picked this Brother sewing machine yesterday for $10. It's a Bradford 1641 model..I went to the Brother site and cannot locate the year it was built. I sews really quiet..has a few cams(pictured . The needle only sews to the far left..When I move the screws for the zig zag it sews the stitch but I can't figure out how to get the neeedle to sew in the center position. Is it only supposed to sew to the left?? Help!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-210833.jpe
Views:	876
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	210839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-210834.jpe
Views:	837
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	210840  
Old 06-13-2011, 07:49 AM

I can't tell you for sure, but I have had a few machines (mostly Japanese-made) that were dedicated left stitchers. Yours probably is as well.

Attention Sewing Machine Guru's. I picked this Brother sewing machine yesterday for $10. It's a Bradford 1641 model..I went to the Brother site and cannot locate the year it was built. I sews really quiet..has a few cams(pictured . The needle only sews to the far left..When I move the screws for the zig zag it sews the stitch but I can't figure out how to get the neeedle to sew in the center position. Is it only supposed to sew to the left?? Help!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC
Hey, can I ask a question about my hand-crank machine? I can sew for about 15 minutes before the screw holding the crank comes loose and it starts clunking loudly (and would fall off, I'm sure, if I just kept cranking!). Is this just something that usually happens with the cranks? I keep a screwdriver right next to the machine now so I can tighten it up when this happens, but it's kind of annoying.
Sounds like the wrong screw, or the threads are stripped. Is it a repro HC or original?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:59 AM

They also fit MOST Japanese class 15 machines. I'm with Billy here--I think they are (for the most part) superior machines.

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Well Anne, Miz Johnny can answer this question in detail, but yes and no! The new reproduction HC's work on the 66, 15, 99, 99k, 28, 128 if the machines have the spoked hand wheel, but if you want to put a HC on something other than a Singer you will have to find the original HC for that model. Most of the repro's won't work on say a New Home, etc.

Nancy
You beat me to it! :lol: And she is right I forgot about some of the earlier models like the 27 and 28's that do not have the boss for the motors.

Billy