Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Colored pencils and quilting >

Colored pencils and quilting

Colored pencils and quilting

Old 06-21-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by janeknapp
Originally Posted by Somerset Val
Thanks. I'm wondering where the gel is available in England?! Has anyone seen it?
The gel in the U.S. is located with the sunscreen lotions.
Thanks - will have a look!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:06 AM

For anyone interested in the Derwent Inktense pencils...

Dick Blick has a 50% off sale right now online. There is no sale price in my local store. I just ordered the set of 72. They look "delicious." My present set of 12 look pretty skimpy in comparison.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/de...tense-pencils/

Product description:

Derwent Inktense Pencils

Derwent Inktense Pencils are as versatile as watercolor pencils, but with a firmer texture that allows them to perform with the brilliant intensity of traditional pen-and-ink. These pencils are available in strong, vibrant colors which work beautifully on their own or can be mixed together to create rich, subtle tones. The pure, clean colors are perfect for bold expressive drawings, including fashion illustration, landscapes, greeting cards, and more.

Inktense pencils can be used dry for rich, intense color or washed out with a little water to create a vivid translucent effect. Once dry, the color is permanent and can be worked over with other media. Pencils are pre-sharpened.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:14 AM

I've used crayons before but not colored pencils. I'll have to try it. Lovely quilt.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:18 AM

Very nice -- hope to try it soon !! Love learning about new techniques. Thank you for sharing.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:18 AM

Wonderful quilt and thank you, thank you, thank you for telling us the products you used. I've always wanted to take some of my sketches and make them into quilts of this nature. Off to find some Dewent products. Thanks once again for sharing your beautiful flower with us all - I'm sure your mother will be envied by many at the nursing home.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:22 AM

I thank all of you for your postings and comments. I LOVE learning from others on this message board!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Browngirl
I love this. What is the technique called? I would love to learn how to do this. Thanks for sharing.
Icee
I have heard it called several things
Colorque (branding name of Helen Stubbings' products)
Irena Bluhm just calls it "applying color" to a quilt
quilt painting
fabric painting

The process is really VERY simple- apply color to the fabric, and set the color. Some colors can be heat set (hot iron) but most are set with aloe or fabric medium.

There are a multitude of tools that work for this fabric painting process (cheap can be too cheap, but most expensive is not always better!):
regular colored pencils
watercolor pencils
Shiva paintstick products
pens, markers
fine tipped permanent markers (Sharpie!)
crayons
paints, can be acrylic or fabric paints
Pre-mixed paints from Karen Pharr's Store http://KarenPharrStudios.com

Go to Michaels and you will drown in all the color choices for painting on t-shirts and other clothing- this process has been around for a long time!

The color intensity really depends on how you apply it and the strength of the initial paint. I've used my watercolor pencils for a light background, applied fabric medium, and then lightly reapplied the watercolor pencils while the fabric was still wet for in intense top detail. With fabric medium you can blend the color right on the fabric.

Blick website has these Dewent Inktense Pencils 50% off currently!
http://www.dickblick.com/products/de...pencils/#items

I bought my fabric medium at Michaels. My local Walmart and JoAnns didn't have it, and neither did my local art store that sold paints of every kind.

Here's another tip:
What if you say "I can't draw"- well, go find a white on white print of flowers. Paint within the lines! I did that very successfully with a fabric I found at my LQS. The center fabric in this picture started life as a white on white print! Here's a pic of that experiment:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-214785.jpe
Views:	1920
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	214791  
Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 AM

Wow!! Now I have one more idea for quilting to add to all the others in my head. Thanks for adding beauty to my day
Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 AM

I love your idea! I am on a fabric diet but I do have Watercolor Pencils and fabric and can't wait to start. :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 AM

Beautiful, do you think a ten year old would be able to do this with a much simpler drawing? I have a dgs who keeps asking me when we are going to make a quilt together & he loves to draw.