Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-26-2011, 02:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
OK, I need to stay home. I bought two FW last week that I have not got home yet. I bought a Huskystar 219 with a nice Kuala cabinet. Then I bought this some one will ha e to tell what I have. It is a slant needle about the same size as 301 without but has horizontal bobbin. Nice little machine has a lever to lift the needle plate instead of dropping the feed dogs. Cannot find a serial number on it or a model number so what is it?
You have a winner! It is a Singer 404 - those were used in Home Ec classes. They are a wonderful machine. My GDs and Niece all have them. They are about the same weight and size as a 301. They take any of the slant feet that straight stitch. They are straight stitch only. They have a front loading drop in bobbin.

www.sewclassic.blog has info and she has bobbins and accessories. Nice cabinet! She also has a link to a free manual. serial number might be under the lip by the bobbin on the very end

I do not understand why they aren't right up there in value with the 301.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Kathie, maybe for the next Girl's Night Out - although, I can't make the July one -- August then, I will make the cake for all the ladies!

Nancy
Can you make the Runs one in July? That would be a good one to try on us. Yummy. Cat[/quote]

I will be gone from the 14th till the 19th on a little cruise with the grandkids. What is the July date for Runs again?

Nancy
Old 06-26-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Okay, I'm blaming you guys on my latest find.
While walking the dog this morning, I'm strolling around the neighborhood checking out the garage deals. As I'm walking down the street, I spot a 401A sitting off to the side. So, of course I pick up my pace. The lady was selling it for $10 without the power cord; it did have the foot petal cord. She was very apologetic that it didn't have the cord. I told her that is ok, I'll still take it. After I got home, I dug through my discarded motors box and pull out a cord with the correct adapter. I'm in business!

I thank whoever talked about the sewing lid holding the box of attachments. I really dig the way that contraption operates and tucks away nicely.

See Nancy, I now have two machines that I will not be treadling.
:-)
OMG!!!!!! You got a 401A for $10!!!!!! Geeze you are the lucky one -- and now you have a feather weight and a Rocketeer!!! Did you get any cams? Monica, you will love playing with that machine! Geeze, you and I will have a matched set of everthing! Except, I have the 503A!

What year is the Rocketeer and what year is your FW?
Nancy

I see you answered that - the Rocketeer is 1951!
Old 06-26-2011, 04:56 AM

You have a winner! It is a Singer 404 - those were used in Home Ec classes. They are a wonderful machine. My GDs and Niece all have them. They are about the same weight and size as a 301. They take any of the slant feet that straight stitch. They are straight stitch only. They have a front loading drop in bobbin.

www.sewclassic.blog has info and she has bobbins and accessories. Nice cabinet! She also has a link to a free manual. serial number might be under the lip by the bobbin on the very end

I do not understand why they aren't right up there in value with the 301.[/quote]

I found this one for $25.00. I found all the info on sew classic. Thanks to everyone but I do need to relocate some of my finds.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by skaduzy
Here is the head. I am going to try to show what the bobbin area looks like. I also have this round piece. I don't know what I am missing but I bet it is a lot.
I ordered a manual from some place in West Virginia and hope it will answer some questions for me.
Skaduzy, remember Singer bought out Wheeler & Wilson in 1905 - so if you have an authentic Wheeler & Wilson it is pre 1905 for sure!

Here is some interesting history of the Wheeler & Wilson Company.

http://www.sewalot.com/wheeler%20&%2...20machines.htm

I love your machine too! I have always said those Wheeler & Wilson's are the aristocrates of the sewing machine world - a step above the others!
Nancy
Old 06-26-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by Lostn51
This decal is called "Red Lilies", I think, and yours is quite beautiful. I have one like it and love it. I don't remember for sure, but think it takes a regular 15 x 1 needle.
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Frister and Rossmann--
I went and picked up my $40.00 STEAL today. It is a beautiful handcrank. The serial number is 1274841. I found one just like it on Sewmuse and they had it dated about 1904. The badge says "Manufactured in Germany by Frister & Rossmann. Sole Agen W. Pierssene, 49 Fore St,
London EC.
She is gear driven machine and has everything she needs but a needle. The one needle with her is broken. The shuttle is there and one bobbin. The bobbin winder rubber is not good, but no surprise there. I never thought I would find such a beautiful machine. There is a celuloid tag on the wood that has been cleaned at some time and the lettering wiped off. I am trying every way I can to see what it says. This is what I think I can see so far:
M-- DUNN --S
NEW ITI ----------YNE
The first line is bigger lettering. The second line is smaller and I am not sure that any of those letters are correct. It is probably the dealer that sold the machine. Any ideas, anyone???

Texas Jan
My books show a 12x1 or a Boye 23 but it may not show all of the F&R's. I hope it does take a 15x1 that sure would make life a lot easier for her!

Billy
Nope, you're right. I just went and took mine out to make sure, and now I have to put it back in. Dang!! At least it's not a needle that's too hard to find.
Thank you Miz Johnny!! I'm learning more and more about her. It is wonderful to have so many people answer questions that I have, sometimes before I even think I will find the answer. I didn't know that the pattern had a name. How neat!!

Texas Jan
Old 06-26-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Okay, I'm blaming you guys on my latest find.

See Nancy, I now have two machines that I will not be treadling.
:-)
Very cool 401. You sure stole it for $10!

Where did you find the serial number?

The 401 that I picked up yesterday is still in the car but as I was purchasing it, I couldn't find the serial number. I think I may have to take the bottom screws off or something. :-D :thumbup:
Yes, you have to take the bottom off. The serial number is found on the bottom left. I'm still cleaning the machine up.
This was to be a day of working on a quilt., but this is more interesting! :D
The serial number is on the bottom in front of the bobbin case - etched into the machine bed. I can see Monica's serial number etched into the bottom from your picture. Look all the way to the tip of the underneath part of the machine bed - in front of the bobbin casing. On my 503A, I don't have to take the bottom cover off - my bottom cover for the 503a is exactly the same type as the cover on a FW. I can see by your picture that the cover on your machine is a bigger deal?
Nancy
Old 06-26-2011, 05:14 AM

There's also modern equivalents.
This needle is much easier to set than a model 12, but instructions say the long groove should be toward the operator--which sounds to me like to the front. I haven't tried to sew on mine since putting the needle back in, but it sure looks like the long groove should be to the side (facing out). What do you think?
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Nope, you're right. I just went and took mine out to make sure, and now I have to put it back in. Dang!! At least it's not a needle that's too hard to find.
Rats I was hoping I was wrong on this one, but like you said they are not impossible to find. I believe I have several hundred of them here in my studio.

Billy
The instructions I have with an earlier F&R manual say the long groove goes to the front. Proably the same manual you have.

Texas Jan
Old 06-26-2011, 05:15 AM

New Home and Singer have different base size and different pin distances.

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by sew wishful
Can anyone tell me if a Singer machine will fit into a "New Home" treadle base? Found one for $25 at a garage sale in really good condition, but am uncertain if my Singers would fit. I purchased a modern cabinet for an electric machine but mine won't fit into it. Love the cabinet, though, so am keeping it for the time being.
What model of Singer?
The one I'd really like to put in it is the 27. It's in a cabinet but the cabinet is very "loose". Maybe I should just have DH tighten things up.
Thanks, Miz Johnny!! Saved $25 to spend on the machine of my dreams....if I ever find it!
Old 06-26-2011, 05:17 AM

Texas Jan[/quote]

Jan, I love your HC. DH wanted to know how you took the side off. We can't see where there are screw holes. What a wonderful experience and education we all get by sharing all of our machines with each other. I love it. Thanks for sharing. :-D[/quote]

There is a large thumb screw that holds the back side in place. Check out the picture. I didn't even notice it for a couple of hours. Too much else to see.

Texas Jan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-216871.jpe
Views:	301
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	216877