Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-06-2011, 10:08 AM

Not long ago the question of when the first FW 221s came out was asked. I was just looking at the serial number records, and it looks like the first run started Oct 1933. For 2 years before that, at least, there are no 221s listed.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SerendipiD
Originally Posted by LindaR
does anyone know what this is... :roll: antique walking foot...I bought 13 attachments for the back clamp singer and this was in it...lots of attachments I probably will never get into. thats the stitches the treadle is doing after got it all cleaned up and running. She is a trooper.
I am very new here, but this looks just like my ruffler foot. :)

I also wanted to post pictures of the machine I just restored - I am pretty excited about it - thanks to Billy's tutorials and a couple of other tutorials, I was able to get my new machine to whirr like I've never heard before - it's just the most beautiful sound...

I purchased her on Craigslist with her table for $65. She was in very good condition.

Before:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../IMG_14761.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../IMG_14772.jpg[/IMG]

After:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../IMG_15221.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../IMG_15232.jpg[/IMG]

Now, I have the problem of... my plastic machines just don't give me the satisfaction that this one does - so I'd love to find an old machine that does a zig-zag (love the look of the 301s, but I don't think they do it). Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

THanks!
D~
SINGER 401
Old 07-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Kas
Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
it's leaves aren't jagged like in the pictures on line
If the leaves do not look like the ones on the internet then its not it. You probably have a weed. Also the fact that its in your yard and the neighbors points to a weed as well.

Hope the poison ivy clears up. I have never gotten it but heard its painful

You probably have a weed? LOL! Isn't that what she was afraid of? Still giggling over here! How many leaves does it have?
ha how many do you think???
I don't know! I could ask my mother. When I was too small to remember but not too young to talk, my grandmother was renting out her house that was up the street from us. There were people in and out of the house at all hours and they grew such lovely plants. Well, after they took the engine apart on the livingroom carpet, my mom decided to find out just what they were growing. She took me with her when she went to the police station to look at their books describing and showing good girls what bad things look like. She got to the page with that naughty weed and I piped up (in the middle of the police station!) "Look, Mama! It's just like what Mema has growing in her yard!" My mom said she slammed the book, grabbed me by the hand, and made a bee-line out of there! She told the "nice boys" to destroy all the plants and vacate the premises or she was calling the cops. They left in the middle of the night. It was always already "packaged" when I saw it in person, later! LOL
Old 07-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by Kas
If the leaves do not look like the ones on the internet then its not it. You probably have a weed. Also the fact that its in your yard and the neighbors points to a weed as well.

You probably have a weed? LOL! Isn't that what she was afraid of? Still giggling over here! How many leaves does it have?
5 & 7 fanned leaves - actually there are 3 plants that I saw - some shoots come up out of the ground and are pretty tall before they get a leaf. Some stalks have several branches with leaves on the ends. They have white flowers on the ends - very fragrant. DH told me they were all along the fence. He was referring to jewel weed. He got it mixed up because it is right in there with the beautiful fragrant white flowered very tall plant that isn't poison ivy or jewel weed. DH can't tell a dandelion from a clover.... under there I saw some day lilies that were too crowded to get day light. There are azaleas and some nice ground covers lots of spring bulbs. There are also some huge trees that used to be ornamental and pretty. Then there are locust trees and mulberry trees EVERYWHERE in the same garden. I don't think I have poison ivy too bad - just a ton of bug bits and they cleared up - benedryl helped a lot
Nope. Not that kind of weed. Bad weed has hairy, brownish flowers from what I have seen on the net. Watched some flower on Youtube. If it smells pretty, leave it. You are safe from the law!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR
does anyone know what this is... :roll: antique walking foot...I bought 13 attachments for the back clamp singer and this was in it...lots of attachments I probably will never get into. thats the stitches the treadle is doing after got it all cleaned up and running. She is a trooper.
ruffler. I have one for my back clamp 66
Glenn
Old 07-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kas
Originally Posted by Kas

5 & 7 fanned leaves - actually there are 3 plants that I saw - some shoots come up out of the ground and are pretty tall before they get a leaf. Some stalks have several branches with leaves on the ends. They have white flowers on the ends - very fragrant. DH told me they were all along the fence. He was referring to jewel weed. He got it mixed up because it is right in there with the beautiful fragrant white flowered very tall plant that isn't poison ivy or jewel weed. DH can't tell a dandelion from a clover.... under there I saw some day lilies that were too crowded to get day light. There are azaleas and some nice ground covers lots of spring bulbs. There are also some huge trees that used to be ornamental and pretty. Then there are locust trees and mulberry trees EVERYWHERE in the same garden. I don't think I have poison ivy too bad - just a ton of bug bits and they cleared up - benedryl helped a lot
Nope. Not that kind of weed. Bad weed has hairy, brownish flowers from what I have seen on the net. Watched some flower on Youtube. If it smells pretty, leave it. You are safe from the law!
I kind of thought they were safe. You'd think if they weren't somebody would have harvested them a long time ago... Not all hairy at all. Thanks. Some of them spike up to 7 ft tall.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:57 PM

I'm always looking at CL and wish I could afford this beauty. I've not seen a cabinet like this before... gorgeous!!
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/atq/2472363807.html
Old 07-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

Hello everyone. I'm new to this thread. I am astounded by all the vintage and love on this thread and know I will find help here. I received my grandmothers Kenmore and she need lots of cleaning and some basic parts. There is lots of dry, gunky oil on most of her parts. What is the best method of removing this so she will shine again?

She still moves but feels a bit arthritic, not frozen up but I think some proper oiling will help cure her of that.

It is model# 117 959 and serial# 189363. Can anyone tell me anything about her and if parts are available. She needs a bobbin case. What kind of needle will she use? Can the electric cord be replaced? I want to use her and maybe Nana will here her sing again!

Is there a manual available also. I have to learn how to thread her and use her.

Any help and info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ube quilting
Hello everyone. I'm new to this thread. I am astounded by all the vintage and love on this thread and know I will find help here. I received my grandmothers Singer and she need lots of cleaning and some basic parts. There is lots of dry, gunky oil on most of her parts. What is the best method of removing this so she will shine again?

She still moves but feels a bit arthritic, not frozen up but I think some proper oiling will help cure her of that.

It is model# 117 959 and serial# 189363. Can anyone tell me anything about her and if parts are available. She needs a bobbin case. What kind of needle will she use? Can the electric cord be replaced? I want to use her and maybe Nana will here her sing again!

Is there a manual available also. I have to learn how to thread her and use her.

Any help and info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Welcome happy to have you along.
CAUTION/WARNING: this place is addictive. If you get any of that kerosene under your skin you will be wanting to collect and clean up every old sewing machine you can find. Then you will only want to use vintage machines. AND you will spend all your time ogling what everybody else finds...
Seriously, Billy has made up a tutorial so you can clean her up. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45983-1.htm
I don't really know what model you have. I tried to search it by the model number. I come up with a brown Kenmore.
Can you post a picture so we can all ogle and admire and maybe identify. Try reading as many of the posts on here as you can and you will learn a ton. I do know the lady at sewclassic has parts, bobbin cases and cords with plugs and what not. She also has good info too. I have found that the machine I'm working on usually gets worse before it gets better but it is so worth it. The old machines are machined & all metal rather than stamped and plastic when they were manufactured. Once you get them going there is no going back! SO please give more info!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:49 PM

Ube

Being a Kenmore, you should be able to go to a Sears service and parts place, if there's one near you. Just take your model and serial numbers with you, they may be able to still get the parts.