Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy quilts >

Scrappy quilts

Scrappy quilts

Old 07-06-2011, 07:30 PM

I like the look of a scrappy quilt, but I can not seems to rap my mind around how to make one. At this time in my early quilting life, I have to have a pattern a plan and my colors must blend in a way that works in my mind. I hope that one day the light bulb will go off in my head and I will be able to understand and make a scrappy quilt.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Scrap quilts are what I grew up using. They are my favorite.
The other quilts a beautiful but they don't equal cozy and wrapped in love. Just my thoughts and feeling.
Scrappy quilts kept my family alive to come across the country. I guess I have a special reason to like them. :-)
Old 07-06-2011, 07:48 PM

I love scrappy quilts because you can have so many different fabrics in them. You can use up your scraps or use your stash and never worry about running out of fabric because you can always add more scraps. Nothing has to match. I just think that they are so visually appealing, more than just a two or three color quilt.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

I love scrappy quilts. They offer great patterns to use up leftoevers. Plus, I know that the scraps will play nicely together because the fabrics play nicely in planned quilts. They also challenge my need for control. Scrappies make me go with the flow.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:06 PM

I have never made a truely scrappy quilt, not yet. All my quilts are somewhat scrappy, planned scrappy. I like to use lots of fabrics in a quilt that might call for 3 colors, I will use maybe 10 or 15 of each of those colors. I hope to make a truely scrappy quilt someday, so I can have a piece of each quilt that I have made up to that point. I will use some other solid to bring it all together though. If you think about it the new quilts that use jelly rolls, layer cakes, etc... are really scrappy quilts made with 40 different fabrics.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:43 PM

Scrappy quilts simply hold my interest longer when I look at them. I love to scan the quilt, examine each colour pattern, then look closer at all the different kinds of fabrics. For me I love working with colour and like manipulating it. I love the memories tied up in fabric but do prefer the orderly scrappy rather than the anything together scrappy. My eye is just more interested in variety rather than repetition of a particular fabric. I get the repetition often from the block and then use as many colours or as many variety of fabrics in that colourway for my interest.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:12 AM

scrapy quilts is what it is all about, that is how patchwork quilts started out, with the need to make a blanket with what ever scraps of fabric our great great granny's could find to sew into a blanket to keep the members of their family warm and comfortable.
I love to make scrap quilts and give them away
Dale Thornton
New Zealand
Old 07-07-2011, 02:26 AM

I do scrappy quilts because using only one color pallette for a whole quilt would be SO BORING to me. I would probably never finish it.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:39 AM

As a child I remember my grandmother's house had wood pot belly stoves for heating. The stoves in the bedrooms were not generally fired up, unless someone was sick in bed or had a baby, etc. So at night the rooms in winter were really, really cold. The quilts were the only warmth, besides body heat, we had. They were sooo heavy, and several were piled on top of you. You stayed in whatever position you were in when the quilts were placed on you, because the weight of the quilts did not allow much room to move. Of course they were scrap quilts...made from scraps of feed sacks after shirts/dresses had been made from them....also made from good parts of used clothing....but they were made with much much love. In the morning my granddad would come into the bedroom and carry us from the bed into the dining/living room where he had a roaring fire in the stove. He carried us so our feet wouldn't get cold by walking on the cold, cold floor. It seemed as if life was sweeter back then and one could sleep well and wake refreshed after sleeping under those quilts. These memories are the reasons I prefer scrappy quilts.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:50 AM

I love scrappys! The mix of colors, and the kids like picking out the small scraps of material that was 'from their summer dress' 'from a favorite costume' etc even though they are grown up young women now!