Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-09-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by greenini
Ok, I'm here to say that the spindly legs came off and we took the knee pedal off and are going to pad the thin swing under the machine and it's all going on the bottom of all our camping stuff in the back of the van...over the engine...so DH wants to check the oil and such before we pack it. It did take the 2 of us and 3 screw drivers but it's done!
Isn't it rather interesting how those old pieces of furniture were put together? We take so much for granted about assembly of just about everything! But, the workmanship and creativity of that old stuff - - can't be beat! <wave>
Old 07-09-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Originally Posted by tomilu
Perhaps I should let all know I have an empty puzzle box on the "free" topic. I shall draw a name at 7pm central time.
Tommie
How do you get to free topics? I want in the drawing. Kathie
me too...
Old 07-09-2011, 03:59 PM

Me too! Thanks
Old 07-09-2011, 04:13 PM

Perhaps I should let all know I have an empty puzzle box on the "free" topic. I shall draw a name at 7pm central time.
Tommie
Go to "home" and then go down to "donations and free"
But it is over now.
Tommie
Old 07-09-2011, 04:17 PM

Tommie
Go to "home" and then go down to "donations and free"
But it is over now.
Tommie
Tommie your notice did not get to me until 4:45 my time. I have had my computer on all day. Kathie
Old 07-09-2011, 04:20 PM

Mornin' all. DH and I are headed out to pick up a Singer 66 in a bentwood case. Looks pretty good on CL, but he says needs new wire. But that's ok, because I'm going to take the head out of the case, convert to a HC and ship to Afghanistan to a soldier.
Tommie
Well, we got 2 machines instead of one. The Bentwood case is ok, but the machine is not a 66, but one of the 3/4 size elec. ones that needs the big knee bar. Having a senior moment, so don't remember which model it is. Plans are to convert that one as well to HC.
He had a 66 that was almost frozen and got that as well. Worked on it this afternoon and it should be ready to ship Monday to Afghan.
Tommie

Tommie
Old 07-09-2011, 04:47 PM

Mornin' all. DH and I are headed out to pick up a Singer 66 in a bentwood case. Looks pretty good on CL, but he says needs new wire. But that's ok, because I'm going to take the head out of the case, convert to a HC and ship to Afghanistan to a soldier.
Tommie
Well, we got 2 machines instead of one. The Bentwood case is ok, but the machine is not a 66, but one of the 3/4 size elec. ones that needs the big knee bar. Having a senior moment, so don't remember which model it is. Plans are to convert that one as well to HC.
He had a 66 that was almost frozen and got that as well. Worked on it this afternoon and it should be ready to ship Monday to Afghan.
Tommie

Tommie
That would be a model 99 needing the knee bar. I have one just like that, and don't have the knee bar. I am going to put a hand crank on that one.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:55 PM

Picked up a two tone beige/tan Brother made in Japan #AA129057. Anybody have any info on it? It needs the plate under the needle and a bobbin case but for $2.00 I thought I could swing it. The case smells so musty it's sickening so I may discard it cause it pretty rough anyway. DH has it running after putting a new belt on it. It looks like it could be treadled easily. Any info is greatly appreciated. I'll snap a pic soon. Too hot for this old heifer to venture out again today. TIA
Old 07-09-2011, 05:23 PM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=kwendt][quote=miriam]
Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by miriam
But naming the old machines after a celeb? that's a thought! Maybe I should name some of my old singer girls, "Francis Langford", "Betty Boop", Cyd Charisse and maybe "Bettie Page" or "Jessica Rabbit". lol!
I have one named after Blaze Starr! My singer 201k is called Starr. I grew up in the Baltimore area and remember adults talking about Blaze Starr and the 2o'clock club down in the city when I was a kid.
Well, after I found my machine, I decided to call it Starr, and then Blaze popped into my head...which led to me thinking of Blaze Starr. I read somewhere that she sewed her own clothes. I can picture her with a Singer!
I remember my parents talking about Blaze Starr. B/C I lived in Md as a child. My parents knew Baltimore pretty well. Any way what I am getting at is a year or so ago they had Blaze Starr's FW on e bay. can't remember what it was sold for. They showed a picture of her machine and supposedly some of the costumes she had made with the FW.
Another person my parents talked about was Gypsy Rose Lee
and I think she made her own clothes when just starting out.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

OK it is edumaction time
here is an animation of sewing.
Those of you who need to time pay close attention to where the needle and the shuttle hook come together. It is how you do timing.
OK here is the big show:
http://home.howstuffworks.com/sewing-machine1.htm
any ???'s
there maybe a test some day...