Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
LADIES! WARNING!!    hide your purse.... >

LADIES! WARNING!! hide your purse....

LADIES! WARNING!! hide your purse....

Old 07-13-2011, 04:06 AM

I am glad to know you are all OK, but it is wise to begin to take serious precautions. How sad that this happened because it causes people to lose faith in their own community. We deadbolt all our entrances and lock our cars in our driveway. Nothing is fool-proof, of course, but so far so good here...
Old 07-13-2011, 04:36 AM

Our DD had her house broken into while they were away on vacation, 4yrs ago......while a neighbor was keeping watch on their property.
Broke Grson's piggy bank & took the money from it....along with any cash etc they could find.Another elderly neighbor happened to be sitting on his porch & told the police what he looked like...as he was on a bike.
They thought a kid....but was a young man 22 from a nearby wealthy area.His parents had bailed him out of a lot of trouble & this time, he was found guilty of breaking into 11 houses & more suspected.The sentence was several yrs in jail.He's due to get out soon.
DD still can't sleep if son in law has to work late at night.It violates your own personal space.Glad you were ok.Do what you can to assure your safety.DD now has a baby cam that's on when they're gone & good locks on all doors.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:41 AM

So sorry to hear this! The sense of being violated really makes me angry on your behalf.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:41 AM

We were robbed twice before we got an alarm. The first one, they went in every room,cabinet,and drawer in the house (except for my teenage daughter's room, (they probably thought they might get snake bit in that mess). I felt as if my house had been raped. It was a violation of my feeling of safety and security. It made my skin crawl to know they had been in drawers and cabinets.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:47 AM

Sorry to hear this happened to you. I had my car broken into before (it was locked) and some items that belonged to my daughter stolen (tried to get her to bring them in the house but she didn't listen). I always lock my car - whether there's anything in it or not - for insurance purposes. If the car is unlocked and anything happens, you may not be covered. Check with your insurance company to be sure.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:41 AM

Oh yes, I can relate. A few years back I lived in an apartment complex. There were locked doors on each end of the building, but all of the outside locks on all four buildings were keyed the same. I lived on the THIRD (top) floor of the building. My apartment, as well as my neighbor's across the hall, were both robbed during the day while we were at work. I lost ALL of my jewelry and he lost an entire coin collection. The police said it had to be one of our neighbors who knew when we left and came back each day. How heartwarming to know that you're being stalked by a thief. Neither of us ever located anything... hope you can at least find out who did this to you.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:43 AM

That's so scary. I'm glad nobody was hurt in the invasion. There have been some deaths up here in similar circumstances.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:44 AM

If you are in a gated community, they probably have the other stuff and probably have the "smarts" to know that it is more traceable than the cash..ironic that it is your neighbours - don't disclose anything to anyone about how you have enhanced your security and they will soon be caught out - especially if you install undetectable cameras as well.Hope you never have a repeat of such invasive behaviour.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:45 AM

Looks like we can never be careful enough. Too many criminals out there.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:54 AM

I have as my darling son would say have always been paranoid!! I never leave anything in my car or I cover it up. So many people around us have had their cars "broken" in to. But....their cars were unlocked???
In the store I can not tell you how many times I have seen women leaving their purses in their carts! I had my purse stolen at work one time and that was it! It's a terrible feeling! I hope you find the jerks who did this. Ladies always protect yourselves by being aware of who's around you. As our economy gets worse it's going to get worse with people taking every chance they have to grab something they think they can sell and get money from. I'm angry that we have to live & feel like this!!