Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-13-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Here is a picture of a quilt my 11 year old DGD made. She used my 319 and a machine that we got for her don't know the date but sure it is in the 50's. She is going to enter this in the WV State Fair. Did all the sewing I did the cutting.
Cute! You should also post on "Quilts made using Vintage Machines". here is the link:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-134918-1.htm
Old 07-13-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts

It may be Mother's Mag chrome polish amd it might be found at WM or KMart but also at automotive stores. I just smile sweetly when they ask why I want that and say to polish my sewing machine of course. Speechless, every time.:mrgreen:
Chris, I love that!!! I would answer the same thing!! LOL I love it when guys think they are Soooo exclusive!!! :-)
Old 07-13-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Glenn, I had to laugh when you wrote this:

'Remember wood does not need to be fed it is dead.'

That brings back memories of all the controversy about how to care for wood furniture; leather too! :-D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
Old 07-13-2011, 01:51 PM

That brings back memories of all the controversy about how to care for wood furniture; leather too! :-D
Linda, yes and woodworkers are still up in arms over this. It is funny at that. I had a lady bring me a table to restore. She tried to do it herself the problem was that a famous woodworker told he to strip the piece and then feed the wood linseed oil. She came to me saying that the wood would not take a stain nor would shellac stick to the wood. It took me three days to strip the oil so I could refinish the thing. Glenn
Old 07-13-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn

Linda, yes and woodworkers are still up in arms over this. It is funny at that. I had a lady bring me a table to restore. She tried to do it herself the problem was that a famous woodworker told he to strip the piece and then feed the wood linseed oil. She came to me saying that the wood would not take a stain nor would shellac stick to the wood. It took me three days to strip the oil so I could refinish the thing. Glenn
:lol: :lol: :lol: That is funny!
Old 07-13-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Chris, are you needing parts for that 15-91? I just picked up a machine that's going to most likely be a parts machine...will have to see if I can get it cleaned up first, but let me know!
Charlee; The answer now is yes. Didn't realize I was missing the stitch length selector screw for her. I do have another 15 which I'm considering using that screw for this 15 but still need the screw. If your offer is still good, I'd like that screw. Thanks so much for your offer. Picked up LindaR's attachments so will maybe fork over some feet to SIL because I have more coming.
Let me dig the machine out of the closet and check the condition of that part...I'll get back to you soon! :)
Old 07-13-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Let me dig the machine out of the closet and check the condition of that part...I'll get back to you soon! :)
Thanks for checking.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:37 PM

[quote Quilt Addict]Then when that is done Billy had suggested Mother's chrome polish. It has done wonders on parts that I thought would never be shiney again.. :thumbup:

Nanasmom: Is the Mother's chrome polish found at big box stores, like WM or Lowes or at an automotive supply store?

It may be Mother's Mag chrome polish amd it might be found at WM or KMart but also at automotive stores. I just smile sweetly when they ask why I want that and say to polish my sewing machine of course. Speechless, every time.:mrgreen:
Thanks! Your comment to them is toooo funny! :)
Old 07-13-2011, 02:49 PM

I have cleaned this singer 500, I swear it had sand dumped in it. It was hard to turn the dials on the front. It is clean now but I can not get the calm to go back in. It pops out and will not stay in. I set the front dial to B and the back dial to L and special, it’s the #1 cam. The dials trun much better.I took the motor out cleaned the sand off and greased the worm gear. I don’t know what else to do.
Thanks
Old 07-13-2011, 02:53 PM

Thanks so much MizJohnny, will go there now.