Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-14-2011, 02:18 PM

OK, I have a big problem. Further to my problem of the needle won't go down the throat on my FW, I cannot get one of the throat plate screws loose. It's like it's glued in place. It's the front one, so of course, hard to get a good sized screwdriver on it. I put some WD40 around the edge of the screw, and I tried for 20 minutes to get it out. Not a budge!!! I am soooo frustrated with it. The rear screw came right out. From the bottom I was able to see some very old thick thread wound around behind the bobbin/hook assembly, and I think I got it all out. But the needle still won't go down.

Any suggestions? I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and take it to the shop. I'm kinda mad at myself for not verifying that it was operational before I bought it. The handwheel turns fine until you put a needle in...which it did not have in when I bought it. My own fault. But at this point I just want her working.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
Originally Posted by Bennett
Originally Posted by Phyllis nm
I just posted my new machine on http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-11.htm
I need to find a way to mount the foot treadle to the bottom of the cabinet. I had to wait 2 days for someone to help me take it out of the car to check the date.It was killing me to wait. I took the original one way stright rollers off and mounted these so I can move it.
That is one beautiful cabinet! :) I am a sucker for mission/arts and crafts furniture. Does the front panel with "White" on it lift up when the machine is up and just come down when it is closed? There is one on kind of local CL that I'm eye-balling because of yours now, but I thought maybe it was missing that panel. Now I'm not so sure. Also, do you happen to know what size needles it takes?

This place has way too much eye candy to be good for me!
When you raise the cabinet top the head comes up, as it moves up the front panel moves up and under the head also. I called the 800 # and they told me it takes a “regular needle”. It is 3rd in line to be cleaned. That gives me or Billy time to rig a support for the foot peddle.
Phyllis I just LOVE that cabinet. I have never seen one like it. Can't wait to see how it turns out!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
OK, I have a big problem. Further to my problem of the needle won't go down the throat on my FW, I cannot get one of the throat plate screws loose. It's like it's glued in place. It's the front one, so of course, hard to get a good sized screwdriver on it. I put some WD40 around the edge of the screw, and I tried for 20 minutes to get it out. Not a budge!!! I am soooo frustrated with it. The rear screw came right out. From the bottom I was able to see some very old thick thread wound around behind the bobbin/hook assembly, and I think I got it all out. But the needle still won't go down.

Any suggestions? I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and take it to the shop. I'm kinda mad at myself for not verifying that it was operational before I bought it. The handwheel turns fine until you put a needle in...which it did not have in when I bought it. My own fault. But at this point I just want her working.
I would get some penetrating oil from below (turn her upside down - be very careful of your paint though. Then I would try heat on that screw. DH has more strength than I do for that. He had to drill one out with some special kind of tool once. I stayed out of his way... I usually use a screw driver tip from out of the kind that stores in the handle and a tiny wrench to get those off - I used to have a long screw driver ground at a slight angle worked pretty good - it was stolen a while back... It is very hard sometimes to get that screw out because of the angle you have to work at. I'd hate to see the repair bill just getting that screw out.... and I'd hate to hear somebody talking to that machine...

When you lift the lid what do you see the shuttle doing? You said you got thread out. Is the notch in it's right place or is it spinning around under there? You did say it turned nice. http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ght-manual.pdf look at the info on page 12. It has a great photo of how it is suppose to look. I realize it is a FW but they look about the same. If it is not set like that it could be your problem. But you still have to get the plate off and reset the notch if that is what is wrong.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by jljack

Try some penetrating oil let it set. Be sure your screwdriver fits tight tap it with a hammer to jar it then turn it. You can also take a wrench and put it on a square screwdriver handle for more leverage while pushing down on the screwdriver. Or use a ratchet with the correct fitting bit.
Thread in or behind the hook is why the needle bar is frozen. Try moving the hand wheel backwards to see and work the thread loose to be seen and pulled out. Look under the bed to see the thread after you take the oil pan cover off. Try a scripto blade behind the hook to cut the thread also.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:36 PM

Abby, I assume that beautiful little girl is your granddaughter. Looks as though she is going to follow in your footsteps. I know you must be so proud.

Abby, I read further and saw that she is your niece, well she is still beautiful.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:40 PM

Sob Sob Sob... I have seven vintage singers - dated between 1921 - 1924. Three are portables - in the coffin wooden cases and three are in the treadle cabinets. One is "loose" no case or cabinet. The reason I'm sad is because my husband refuses to let me bring anymore home. He thinks seven machines is enough. He said we don't have enough house to have any more. He is right, we really don't have the room, but I would love to have more. Everyone's machines are great here.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cheri_J
Sob Sob Sob... I have seven vintage singers - dated between 1921 - 1924. Three are portables - in the coffin wooden cases and three are in the treadle cabinets. One is "loose" no case or cabinet. The reason I'm sad is because my husband refuses to let me bring anymore home. He thinks seven machines is enough. He said we don't have enough house to have any more. He is right, we really don't have the room, but I would love to have more. Everyone's machines are great here.
mine is making some noise too...
Old 07-14-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by miriam

I would get some penetrating oil from below (turn her upside down - be very careful of your paint though. Then I would try heat on that screw. DH has more strength than I do for that. He had to drill one out with some special kind of tool once. I stayed out of his way... I usually use a screw driver tip from out of the kind that stores in the handle and a tiny wrench to get those off - I used to have a long screw driver ground at a slight angle worked pretty good - it was stolen a while back... It is very hard sometimes to get that screw out because of the angle you have to work at. I'd hate to see the repair bill just getting that screw out.... and I'd hate to hear somebody talking to that machine...

When you lift the lid what do you see the shuttle doing? You said you got thread out. Is the notch in it's right place or is it spinning around under there? You did say it turned nice. http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ght-manual.pdf look at the info on page 12. It has a great photo of how it is suppose to look. I realize it is a FW but they look about the same. If it is not set like that it could be your problem. But you still have to get the plate off and reset the notch if that is what is wrong.
OK, yes, I'll try again tonite since the WD40 will have been on for 24 hours. The finger is in the notch correctly. I just can't see what's happening, because I can't get the throat plate off!! LOL Catch-22 here!! I even have the bobbin holder out, and I still can't see what's going on. I was prepared to take everything apart last night, and then I had that stupid screw stuck in there!! I took the oil cover off the bottom and looked up there with a flashlight, and that's how I saw the thread wrapped around. I used my handy little seam ripper and got out what I could see.

Phyllis, when I turn the handwheel the needle bar does move up and down, but the needle won't go down the throat. It's hitting on something that I can't see. That's where the problem is. When I asked if it could be out of time, everyone thought that was doubtful. So..... OK, Round 2 tonite!!!\
Old 07-14-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Okay, ladies and gents...I'm tearing into an old treadle that was given to me. It's a Singer 66 model. Bought a new belt but it keeps slipping off the hand wheel. If I hold my finger to the back of the machine as a guide to keep the belt on, it will stay put. Is there supposed to be some kind of guide there? Since my other 66 is electric I'm lost as to why it would fall off there? I tried to watch to see what the deal is, but I see nothing wrong. Can anyone help?
Is your belt to large for the belt grove? or to loose?
Old 07-14-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Cheri_J
mine is making some noise too...
My kids are making the noise too but none yet from DH. I am rehoming a couple of them this coming week. That'll take me below 20 machines.