Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Felt Very Judged:  Quilt tops vs Finished quilts >

I Felt Very Judged: Quilt tops vs Finished quilts

I Felt Very Judged: Quilt tops vs Finished quilts

Old 07-17-2011, 04:53 AM

Phooey on that woman. You quilt for you.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:54 AM

So she is shocked because she has five finished (maybe) and you have 15 you enjoy. Its your house and your rules until she moves in and takes over...Enjoy. Each to their own.

I have a number of unfinished tops because I have not learned to do them with my old Bernina and cannot afford a LA to machine quilt them. Maybe someday that has not come yet. I still enjoy doing the different patterns and colors in quilt tops. Go for it and SMILE.

Turn the other comments into a humorous reply and laugh. Quilts are suppposed to be finished??? Mine are the way they are loved.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:58 AM

A very dear friend of mine once told me the following: You can't be put down by anybody without a little help from yourself. I think you need to ignore the "others" out there and stick to what you like to do. I make prayers shawls for our church. I have also quilted items for them to sell at their fund raisers. Last Sunday, I took in 3 of them, only to be very rudely told:"we don't need anymore lap robes". Some of them can be used for either since we have men and women we give them to. I started to feel really unappreciated until I realized I had done nothing wrong. I am now giving ALL of my shawls, afghans, etc to Hospice for their patients. I volunteer for them and visit patients and I have made things for many of them. So, don't worry. IT IS YOUR HOUSE AND YOUR LIFE. Do with it whatever makes YOU happy.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:00 AM

I went to a quilt show once and in addition to the quilted quilts they had a whole room in which they displayed quilts that were tops and not quilted. They had them on ladders and on racks folded and hanging proudly. I wish more shows would do that! Many were very intricate piecing and beautiful to see the colors and patterns. If they hadn't had that room to show those quilts all would have been home unshown and I wouldn't have had the chance to see them. I'm glad your quilts are out where your family and friends can enjoy seeing them! Enjoy!
Old 07-17-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
Well I'm just going to say it: Life (IMHO it's God) has a way of dealing with those who speak with disdain- it's called "what goes around comes around". I realize it's easier to say don't give that person another thought than it is to actually do it, but please try. Art is in the eye of the beholder and considering some of what I have seen called " Art" ppffffftttt on unquilted tops. Some shops and LAQs will rent time on a longarm. If this is something that ever interests you check it out. Otherwise enjoy your art whatever form it takes!
You are so right. I was viewing an art exhibit a while back and there was an approx. 6 ft. x 6 ft canvas displayed with nothing but all different colors of paint splatters all over it and it took first prize!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 05:01 AM

I have a philosophy -- if you don't like my housekeeping or my decorating, you don't have to come back. If I choose to put a red quilt up in my sage green living room....it's MY room, I'm paying for it, it's none of your business. Enjoy your home and ignore the snob :roll:
Old 07-17-2011, 05:02 AM

Jazz, I'd love to put your avatar on my wall, quilted or unquilted.

If you like what you do, more power to you and raspberries to critics.

Illegitimi non carborundum.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:08 AM

People like that really make me mad! I hope that she didn't make you feel so bad that you stop making quilt tops,because she is not worth your time.
I have a saying" if you don't like what I am doing,turn your head, cause I am happy being Me"!!!
Hang in there,ladies and gents on here are helpful, not mean.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:10 AM

My reaction to people like the quilt police is "why do they care?" You werent trying to hand a top in HER house so what difference does it make to her? I say enjoy your tops, however it's right for you. We had a saying in the 69s, Different strokes for different folks. Works for me.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:14 AM

Be true to yourself - enjoy your work and don't worry about what someone else thinks. (One finished quilt under my belt with 15 or so quilt tops in my house.)