Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It's official . . . . I hate binding!! >

It's official . . . . I hate binding!!

It's official . . . . I hate binding!!

Old 07-17-2011, 05:46 AM

your avatar is beautiful!!!!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
I don't mind making the binding or attaching it to a quilt - was taught an excellent way when I first started out 3 years ago and I never fail to get great corners and a perfect joining of the ends to hide them - but I hate hand sewing the back down!!! I admit I'm picky about using tiny stitches that are invisible, but I don't like hand work. If I could figure out a way to do the whole thing on my machine, I'd be happy!!!
I love binding, and it's SO easy to do by machine, which is how I sew it down for charity quilts. For quilts going to someone special, I hand stitch the binding. I have 9 different ways to make binding more interesting. Choosing the fabric(s) is the funnest part, it just frames and finishes the quilt!! I take (too much) pride in perfect corners...which is silly since they're so easy to make :?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:12 AM

Susan,

Can you give us a tutorial on how you were taught to get great corners? Thanks! Marlene
Old 07-17-2011, 07:20 AM

I love love love to bind!! I'll quilt all summer long, and love to bind in the winter. :) I bind all year long really, but I get a TON done in the winter.

It's just so relaxing.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by ploverwi2
I love doing the binding. Once you learn how to do the corners and learn how to splice the ending pieces to look the same as the joints of the strips, you will really enjoy putting on the binding. I never cut the ending strips on angles. I found a great tutorial online with pictures showing how to finish of the ends, and after that my bindings are quite nice to look at. I love the hand stitching on the back too. I guess I am just one of the weird ones as far as the binding goes. I hope you will keep trying, and soon you will enjoy framing your beautiful work of art.
Ditto..love doing them!!
Old 07-17-2011, 07:59 AM

I tried a new method to avoid applying the narrow binding.

It is sometimes called "inside-out" or for whatever reason, "the birther method".

.....You sew the batting around the edges to the wrong side of the quilt top
.....Then place the right side of the backing to the right side of the quilt top and sew seams but leave an opening in the bottom of it about 7-10 inches.
.....Then put your hand up the opening and pull out the right side of the quilt, tack up the opening after you have reversed it.

I have my son's quilt almost done and it looks good. I left a little extra batting to extend beyond the top (about 1/2 in) and when I pulled it right side out, the batting made a puffy ridge which I then sewed about 1/2 to 3/4 inch away from the edge and it almost looks like a binding.

The next quilt I do like this to avoid a binding will have a border added on and then I am going to add another piece that will be a different color and simulate a binding there. These two added borders can then be top-stitched individually and make it look even more like an added-on binding.

It was fun to make and much quicker. But you must be careful to have your quilt and all your seams exact so the quilt forms a perfect rectangle or square when turned out.

I will post a px of my first quilt made this way after I do a little remaining SID on it. Pauline
Old 07-17-2011, 08:05 AM

I don't mind binding, I just do it my way, and it looks just fine. If people don't like it - they don't have to look at it. It also means that I won't give them a quilt. People need to appreciate the gift, not the perfection.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:08 AM

Well, that's weird. It's my favorite part. So relaxing. What part of binding don't you like and maybe we can suggest an alternative. :)
Stephanie
Old 07-17-2011, 08:14 AM

My hand sewing has always left a lot to be desired. But give me a sewing machine & I can do anything! So I do understand you about sewing bindings. Since I found this method my bindings have improved. http://tlcstitches.blogspot.com/2010...-tutorial.html It is done entirely by machine. Maybe give it a try?
Old 07-17-2011, 08:15 AM

I do mine all by mine, if I decide to use it at all. Can't see no reason to spend forever, doing it by hand. Works for me! Find a way that works for you & use it, no quilt police, remember. Quilting is suppose to be fun & relaxing, so keep that in mind too...