Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-29-2011, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Candace
Hey folks! I was wondering if any of you brainiacs know what model # this Singer is? I've never seen one like it??
Looks like a 406 to me...but wait for a second/third/fourth opinion!! :lol:
I think that's a Singer 306.
No I think I'm wrong. Looks more like the Singer 319.

comparison link: http://www.thetreadlersvillage.com/S...19forsale.html
Old 07-29-2011, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by Candace
Hey folks! I was wondering if any of you brainiacs know what model # this Singer is? I've never seen one like it??
Looks like a 406 to me...but wait for a second/third/fourth opinion!! :lol:
I think that's a Singer 306.
No I think I'm wrong. Looks more like the Singer 319.

comparison link: http://www.thetreadlersvillage.com/S...19forsale.html
319 or 306, either way, I have a bunch of funny little fashion disc cams that fit in those machines that just don't cut it in my 401. I got them in a box of other pieces and parts.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BarbaraSue
Hi, all. I have enjoyed seeing all of the other machines, and have learned alot by reading.
I have a treadle I believe is 1930's, it has a shuttle bobboin. It is apart awaiting the care needed to get the belt the right tension.

I just purchased a Singer 15-91 I believe. The serial # is AK477730, made in 1951. It has the Singer centenial plate on the front, has the potted motor. I am having trouble with the bobbin thread. It doesn't always come up with the top thread. I have pics and I hope they come through. Am I missing a piece on the top over the needle? I may not have it threaded right, I have no manual. And Singer says they don't have one for this either. Any information or help will be greatly appreciated.
Here I go enabling again... get those instructions that were posted or look in your operator's manual and take that tension apart, clean it real good and put it back together. Be careful of the little pin that might be inside the tension post (don't want to lose parts) Do it over a white towel or some such. Even if you are threading it right the thing needs to be cleaned out after so many years. If you can read a pattern you can read a diagram. If nothing else find an intelligent other person to help... LOL Keep another machine handy to look at.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:35 AM

[quote=BoJangles]
Originally Posted by Suzi
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
The other one is fully retired due to ringbone.

Nancy

Nancy what is ringbone? Kathie

Oldest one we had was 32 when we retired him. He was a very peppy Standardbred and a super classy horse to ride.

Ringbone: a bony outgrowth on or near the articulating surface of the pastern or coffin bone of a horse that typically results from injury and usually produces lameness.
Wow Suzi, I gave a much simpler explanation for ringbone, knowing most on here would not know what I was talking about - but you are spot on, although, I am still sure most people would have no idea what you are talking about!

Nancy
That's funny. You bet yours was easier to understand! We headed an equine 4-H group many years back (do they still have 4H and FFA?) and our 1X per month discussion meetings were geared to one specific part of the horse's anatomy thus the kids learned the proper descriptions with help from charts and (of course) my live horses. 2 of the kids went on to become large animal Vets and several are Vet techs - made me sooooo proud. Enough of the equines - this IS a vintage sewing machine thread ..... ;o)
Old 07-30-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by lee231
Just picked this up at an auction today. 15-?, serial # AK489114, it's a centennial and the decals are great. Did OK for $5.
Wow Lee, you got a 15-91 for $5! A centennial to boot! Geeze!

Nancy
Yes, the guy I was bidding against is a junk dealer, I got out bid by him before on a White model 77, the first thing he did after the bid was go up to it with a magnet.

When I got the 15-91 home the light didn't work, but after removing the bulb and cleaning the contacts it worked, has a little grime on it, no large amount of dry oil anywhere. I don't think it had much use.

Today have to pick up the 99K that I have on hold, has the same style cabinet, that one had a feed dog cover plate with it in the drawer.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by nickylsf
I had to go to a neighboring town yesterday for a medical screening, so checked the local Craigslist before going. Look what I found, and had time to pick up before my appointment? They were asking $250 and took $150. It is so pretty and feels so solid! It was frozen when I first started working on it, but I oiled it and it started running very smoothly.

I am having a bit of trouble with the tension, it sews good stitches with the top at 7 and I want it to be at 4. I have fiddled with the bottom tension but need to work on it some more. Intermittently the top thread is too loose, with loops on the back. Maybe 7 is okay on the top, just seems high.

I can't wait to piece something with it!
What model is this. Nice find. Congratulations
Old 07-30-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by judyjudyjudy
As of Saturday, July 30th, I will be the owner of a Featherweight. Have pondered getting one for 2 years, have shopped thrift stores, goodwill, craigslist, and garage sales with no success in my price range. But -- I found one this week locally via phone conversation with a very reputable small town sewing repair store about 40 min. from my home. Tomorrow I go to see it --- and I believe I'll buy. It has been serviced, cord replaced, new case (sadly not original), and the owner of the store is giving me extra bobbins and feet. He has a 1 yr. guarantee on the service, and he's going to train me in using it. I'm not the "fix it up yourself" kinda woman -- so am thrilled to find one already newly serviced. Price is $249.00 --- a fair price. I need to go to sleep now so that I can wake up and head to the shop!!
This is fantastic. let us know if you love it. A fair price it seems.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by nickylsf
I had to go to a neighboring town yesterday for a medical screening, so checked the local Craigslist before going. Look what I found, and had time to pick up before my appointment? They were asking $250 and took $150. It is so pretty and feels so solid! It was frozen when I first started working on it, but I oiled it and it started running very smoothly.

I am having a bit of trouble with the tension, it sews good stitches with the top at 7 and I want it to be at 4. I have fiddled with the bottom tension but need to work on it some more. Intermittently the top thread is too loose, with loops on the back. Maybe 7 is okay on the top, just seems high.

I can't wait to piece something with it!
Nicky, great buy and you got the case too! The 301 is one machine I don't have! Have fun with her!

Nancy
Old 07-30-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Are there any pointers I need to know about a W&W machine and what would I look for regarding attachments?
what kind of price is it? can you buy both, sort them out later then sell one.... lol
Enabler.
I would just check to make sure all necessary parts are there and the movement is not frozen and the treadle action is proper. Check to make sure the bobbin winder moves. I didn't get any attachments with mine, so can't help you ther. Congrats!!
Tommie
Old 07-30-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
Hello everyone. I'm still looking for attachments for my KENMORE 117 959. Looking for bobbin case and bobbins which I desparately need to run the machine. And then my wish list is for any attachments that go with this machine. There are machines for sale on line but I can't find any parts. Do I have to buy a whole machine to get a bobbin and case? What to do??? very sad.
peace
Sorry, my 117 959 is also missing the bobbin case. I do have a 117 591 that I will be parting out. I don't know if that bobbin case will work on yours. If you find out it will work let me know and you can have it.