Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-04-2011, 12:50 PM

Here is a picture of the cabinet. Any suggestions what i should offer? Also the cable the needs repair, or replacement.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-236362.bmp
Views:	386
Size:	740.9 KB
ID:	236368  
Old 08-04-2011, 12:54 PM

Grayhare, it's a model 66-1 (the 66-1 is the backclamping treadle, the 66-3 is the backclamping handcrank)

The parlor cabinet is nice, but not fancy, the cable is no big deal, the machine looks to be in good shape...I'd offer him $150...and do that begrudgingly.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:56 PM

Sorry, double post!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Cathy, Monica, Kathie, and Miriam I loved reading about the good 'ole' days of youth. I spent all my time on a horse or pretending to be a horse! I was not home schooled, but have some great memories of riding the bus into town to go to school, as we lived on a working cattle ranch!

Lee, very nice 99! Those 99s are great little work horses.

Nancy
I was not home schooled either. I can only wish... I was a victim of the public school. I was a full year younger than most of my class. I was a tad bit dyslexic. I was teased for growing a head full of red hair. I was skinny and uncoordinated. I had terrible grades. Then my sister had it worse. AW heck not much has changed...
Old 08-04-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Would anyone have a clue about this machine? It's a 15, I know, but it looks like one of the newer Taiwan ones, but in a bentwood case? This is confusing to me....????

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8330191
Janice that machine is one of the reproductions made in Taichung, Taiwan. They started making the ND to NY machines in 1963, but I'd bet that machine is much newer - like in the 1980's. Those repro's, where they tried to copy the original decals, are kind of gaudy looking. Besides, the machine is not the workmanship/quality of the original.
http://www.servirem.com.ar/nueva.html

Nancy
Old 08-04-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by crewsemj
I just found this awesome group a few days ago and am only up to page 35, so I've got a LONG way to go but have learned a lot so far. The only vintage machine I have is one that my mother made my baby cloths with. I got it out this morning and worked on cleaning it up. I did not take it all apart (am Chicken) but did the best I could and am happy. I myself could never make this machine work. Mom said I did not have the right wrist movement !

In the one picture I have placed an old iron so you could compare the size. I use this iron to hold down the end of my cutting ruler when cutting strips, so it won't slip right at the end.

Have always wanted a treadle machine and will now look a little closer at the ones I see at yard sales. Even if it is a really bad one just so I can learn with it.
Margie, what a cute little machine! It is even better that it was your Mother's and you have memories of that machine!
Do find a treadle. Once you start sewing on the treadles, you will be hooked!

Nancy
Old 08-04-2011, 02:06 PM

crewsejm, what a sweet little machine. Lucky you.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare
I have not seen this machine in person yet. It comes in a box type cabinet, couldn't download picture. I really don't know anything about it yet. It belonged to his grandma. He is asking 250. What do you all think?
Too much money! I'd offer him $150 at most. That is a Singer 66 Redeye and there are lots of them around. Granted the decals on that machine are great, but just sit on it and see if the owner will come down! Treadles are not selling for that much in my neck of California - people are asking high prices - but, they don't sell the treadles. The 66 is a great machine, though - and beautiful!

Nancy
Old 08-04-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by greenini
Couple of questions: no responses to my questions about the "bloom" on the finish of my 301: any ideas?
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1366.htm#3782249

Also: my DH is wanting to pull the motor off the 15-91 which seems to work fine and clear out all the "gunk". While he is kinda mechanical I am leaning to adding grease and oil and letting it alone before pulling the pot off. What do you all think?

And finally, my book for the 15-91 says to put 1/2 a tube of Singer motor grease in the holes. How much grease does that come to in today's terms and who sells the proper grease?

thanks a lot I know someone will have the answers! :lol:
Never refurbished a motor, I just toss motors into my box of parts, but....
Here is the Sew Classics link to refurbishing the motor: http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/02/...hats-that.aspx

I only use the Singer sewing machine grease, lubricant.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by crewsemj
I just found this awesome group a few days ago and am only up to page 35, so I've got a LONG way to go but have learned a lot so far. The only vintage machine I have is one that my mother made my baby cloths with. I got it out this morning and worked on cleaning it up. I did not take it all apart (am Chicken) but did the best I could and am happy. I myself could never make this machine work. Mom said I did not have the right wrist movement !

In the one picture I have placed an old iron so you could compare the size. I use this iron to hold down the end of my cutting ruler when cutting strips, so it won't slip right at the end.

Have always wanted a treadle machine and will now look a little closer at the ones I see at yard sales. Even if it is a really bad one just so I can learn with it.
Cute machine!! I believe that is a chain stitcher. Most toy machines are chain stitcher machines.