Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-05-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Nicky, it's been "modified"....and it would depend on what they're asking for it...but would be a nice machine to refurb and make into a handcrank/treadle... :)
Thanks Charlee. I am going to go back there and offer $10.

Addendum: I went back and decided against this Singer. I started to wonder if it was really a Singer, as the decals on the bed looked good but there was no "Singer" decal at all on the arm.

Instead I came home with a very rough W&W head, cabinet and treadle. It is so cute I could not leave it there. They wanted $50 but I got it for $25. I will take some pics after I unload it. At least it is smallish!
Old 08-05-2011, 12:59 PM

Im at a sale right now, they have a tru-sew, says made in occupied japan, is this a 15 clone? Anyone on that knows
Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 PM

Has anyone heard of an "Empira" branded treadle? That is with an A at the end.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by nickylsf
Nicky, it's been "modified"....and it would depend on what they're asking for it...but would be a nice machine to refurb and make into a handcrank/treadle... :)

Addendum: I went back and decided against this Singer. I started to wonder if it was really a Singer, as the decals on the bed looked good but there was no "Singer" decal at all on the arm.

Instead I came home with a very rough W&W head, cabinet and treadle. It is so cute I could not leave it there. It is a Model 8, from 1876. Looking at the manual on ISMACS it appears that my cabinet is missing the drawers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-237015.jpe
Views:	446
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	237021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-237016.jpe
Views:	442
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	237022   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-237017.jpe
Views:	437
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	237023  
Old 08-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/art/2530740774.html
Oh boy have I got a deal for you...
Old 08-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Instead I came home with a very rough W&W head, cabinet and treadle. It is so cute I could not leave it there. It is a Model 8, from 1876. Looking at the manual on ISMACS it appears that my cabinet is missing the drawers.
Yikes you bought a fun project!
what does the bottom look like? bobbin area? what does it use for a bobbin?
Old 08-05-2011, 01:45 PM

:) Go look at the photo thread Nicki...My W&W 8 is posted there...
Yes, your machine is missing a couple of things. The drawers, the slide plate are gone, as is the coffin top. When I get home I'll get the email for you for a guy that I've bought parts from. He might be able to help you with that. I love that the decals are still there, despite the abuse it's suffered. Be *REALLY* careful cleaning it...they disappear with a puff of air!! ;) The spooler (bobbin winder) is still there too...that took me two years to find! (check out that glass presser foot!)
Old 08-05-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by miriam

Yikes you bought a fun project!
what does the bottom look like? bobbin area? what does it use for a bobbin?
Miriam, it uses a round bobbin, a very THIN "donut" bobbin...

These machines date from 1876-1880....gotta love em! :)
Old 08-05-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/art/2530740774.html
Oh boy have I got a deal for you...
Wow. That's quite the deal indeed. It makes my $15 401 in a cabinet seem like highway robbery.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok all, I got that Hitachi I have been talking about for the last couple weeks. It is a Hitachi, not a Necchi - I have no doubt about that. It has Hitachi written in long hand, embedded, or welded, or however they did it on the actual underneath part of the bed. It also has Hitachi written in metal on both ends of the treadle and in the middle of the treadle. There are needles and bobbins that came with the machine that have a price tag written in Chinese (I think, it is Chinese) in the drawer. The thing weighs a ton. Has a reverse bar. It also has a knee lifter for the foot. Here are some pictures.

Billy, Charlee, Miz Johnny, what do I have? I can't find anything on the inernet about a Hitachi Treadle anywhere! I know it must be an industrial machine. It has a full 9" harp space. The face is solid iron and heavy - almost dropped it when I took it off to oil the machine!
Nancy,

Those characters are Japanese and not Chinese since Hitachi is a Japanese Company. I'm beginning to believe that someone of Japanese descent had that machine shipped over to use here after they moved here. They may have started some business and just preferred using that machine over an industrial Singer or whatever was the popular machine of that time. This could be just one reason for why it is difficult to find info on this type of machine and why we don't see many now since few made it to the States. But then I could be all wrong with this. Were you able to get any history on the machine? Looks industrial! I would love to see this machine.
Congrats!
Monica and Charlee, I think this was a sweat shop machine! It has a bunch of needles with the price tag still attached written (you must be right Monica) in Japanese. But, Charlee has a point, the fact that the Hitachi name is written in English, throws me? They put Hitachi all over this machine!!!! I know it must have been an industrial machine due to the fact that it is a treadle, and has the knee lifter for the foot so whomever was using it could be more productive - hence sweat shop?

No, I can't find anything on the net about this machine. I have even tried to hunt for the Hitachi history, but I still am coming up short. The lady that had this machine knows nothing about it either. Her boyfriend acquired it when he bought a storage unit.

Nancy