Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-05-2011, 02:47 PM

The other fiddle base is DH's 12K M.O.P. HC.[/quote]

Trish, that fiddle base is wonderful. Kathie
Old 08-05-2011, 02:54 PM

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/atq/2531733540.html

Anyone interested in this one? If I can help let me know.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by beaniekins
Originally Posted by miriam
http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/art/2530740774.html
Oh boy have I got a deal for you...
Wow. That's quite the deal indeed. It makes my $15 401 in a cabinet seem like highway robbery.
I betcha I haven't spent that much on all the sewing machines I own...
Old 08-05-2011, 03:07 PM

Singer 403 Slantomatic manual
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-142912-1.htm#3872780

I put it in Links & Resources. Don't download it unless you need it cuz it is 99 pages.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Grayhare,

I picked up a 201-3 with a motor, whose voltage is incorrect for use in the States. It came over from Britain. When I saw the machine, I was so excited because it had an external motor, which meant I could toss the motor (take it off). I would have a Singer 201 that could be treadled (it was like finding gold). I paid $30 for machine that came with box of attachments for that beauty (its my favorite machine). I wait a bit for a cabinet, and then saw on CLs a free extremely sad cabinet with a treadle that looked ok. That cabinet had a Singer 9W1 in bad shape too. I basically picked up an extremely nice treadle that had been protected by a cabinet that was now badly damaged (the cabinet) with a machine that looked like it had been used as a parts machine. I took the cabinet off the treadle and waited for a free cabinet to show up on CLs. A couple of weeks later and a 45 mins drive in one direction, I had a cabinet top. I had to take the legs off this cabinet top since it was designed for an e-machine. I'm not into refurbishing like Glenn is, too much work. So, it was easier to find a top to switch.
So, for $30 I had a machine in treadle.

I say the machines have a way of finding us, just be patient.
Wow, Monica.....that combo you did looks like it was made as one!! Great deals you find..... BRAVO!!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
There is a really nice 401 and 301 both for sale on Sacramento's Craigslist for $80!

Here's the 401a. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2530578357.html

And the 301.
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2530530952.html
Nancy
Ohhhhh!!! The 301 is in a cabinet!! I shouldn't have looked!! :-(
Old 08-05-2011, 03:41 PM

Everyone DH and I finally finished my sewing room. I have posted pictures here http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-1371-10.htm#3872992. Come and join me for some sewing and hot coffee or tea this winter.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by nickylsf
Originally Posted by nickylsf
Originally Posted by Charlee
Nicky, it's been "modified"....and it would depend on what they're asking for it...but would be a nice machine to refurb and make into a handcrank/treadle... :)
Thanks Charlee. I am going to go back there and offer $10.

Addendum: I went back and decided against this Singer. I started to wonder if it was really a Singer, as the decals on the bed looked good but there was no "Singer" decal at all on the arm.

Instead I came home with a very rough W&W head, cabinet and treadle. It is so cute I could not leave it there. It is a Model 8, from 1876. Looking at the manual on ISMACS it appears that my cabinet is missing the drawers.
:) Go look at the photo thread Nicki...My W&W 8 is posted there...
Yes, your machine is missing a couple of things. The drawers, the slide plate are gone, as is the coffin top. When I get home I'll get the email for you for a guy that I've bought parts from. He might be able to help you with that. I love that the decals are still there, despite the abuse it's suffered. Be *REALLY* careful cleaning it...they disappear with a puff of air!! ;) The spooler (bobbin winder) is still there too...that took me two years to find! (check out that glass presser foot!)
There were two of them there. I will go back and see if the other has the parts mine is missing.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by greenini
Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by greenini
crewsejm, what a cutie machine, but I can see why it might be tough to learn!
Wow!!! Your mom made your baby clothes on that machine??? I'm soooo impressed!!! It's wonderful.
Janice, Ha-ha, it wasn't MY mother who made my baby clothes. One of my favorite mom stories was that she had pinned a dress to hem and then hung it in the closet and proceeded to forget she'd pinned it but not finished it. She wore it to a friend's funeral all pinned up :lol:

If my mother had had to take home ec she would have gotten a big fat F, I learned how to cook at about 10 yrs old out of self preservation so I could eat :shock:

And sewing...not her :!:
Hahahaha!!! I see my error now.....funny story about your mom, though!! My mom wasn't a great cook, either, but we survived!! :-) I had to learn to cook after I left home. But she could sew. She taught us and made all our clothes until we started school...then we got "store bought" clothes!!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:24 PM

Someone needs this W&G chain stitch.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/atq/2531665298.html