Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by Celeste
Originally Posted by miriam
Okay everybody, I found me a beige 301A longbed on Craigslist for $100, with the foot pedal, case and the bobbin case. Drove from the San Jose area to San Francisco to get it. (About 60 miles.) First time on my own and I'm not too proud to admit I just kept getting lost. Found the pickup spot after a missed exit, (I had directions off of mapquest), but afterwards.... you'd think I'd never been there (or driven there), before! Left home about 2:30pm and got back around 6:30pm.

So now I've got her out and found a youtube to explain how to wind the bobbin. I cannot get the silver thing to move towards me to disengage it. Any advise, please?
Which silver 'thing' do you mean?

Oops, sorry, I was using the video's terminology. in the middle of the wheel on the right side of the machine that, when turned by hand moves the needle up and down.
So hold onto the handwheel with your left hand and grab the silver wheel with your right. Hold the big wheel firm and turn the silver wheel toward you. It should release with some pressure. That allows the bobbin to wind without the needle going up and down. Reverse the process to sew.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:54 AM

Tell me again how to get to Pictures of vintage machines?
Old 08-07-2011, 04:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by redmadder
Tell me again how to get to Pictures of vintage machines?
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-1.htm
Just go to the top of this page, hit "HOME" (it's right under quilting board)
then scroll down to:
"vintage sewing machine shop"
hit it and then look for topics
Old 08-07-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Dottie Bug
Ifound a singer today at a yard sale ,given to me she is around 60yrs old she is a century 1851-1951 the thing wont move the needle up&down but the wheel bearly turns , serl.# is AK016055. help please. Dottie Bug
Take the face plate off, clean the inside and make sure there is nothing inside obstructing the needle from moving up and down.
Oil it. If that doesn't work, oil it more, and put the machine out in the sun for some time, then give it a try.

My Singer 9W wouldn't move for me. I took the faceplate off to find drill bits. Here is a photo of the machine:
Monica, it has always amazed me what we find in these vintage machines, but your drill bits really take the cake!

Nancy
Old 08-07-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Ok all, I got that Hitachi I have been talking about for the last couple weeks.
That's quite the machine! With the harp space, it might be a good one to quilt with... I hope you enjoy it.
This machine does not drop it's feed dogs, at least I can't find a way to do it easily, or I would use it for machine quilting!

Nancy
are the feet screwed on? Can you just remove them?
Yes Miriam the feet at just low shank and removable.

Nancy
Old 08-07-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Deplaylady, what great memories! I took Home Ec in high school and got a 'D' because the teacher swore I did not put the zipper in my skirt by myself! She didn't believe me when I told her I had been sewing already for years! My Mom was always making something, which made me want to sew from the time I was very little!

Nancy
My sewing teacher, Mrs. Irion,for Home Ec, must have been about 85 and really cranky. I got a C minus for my grade as she said that I didn't sew my skirt, someone else must have because it was too good. I learned to sew garments when I was 10 from my Mom. We were using Singer 66 machines and I recall it had the reverse on it.
Sharon, that is exactly what my Home Ec teacher said to me! She said my Mother did my zipper, because she hadn't taught (teacher) us how to put a zipper in properly! I started making my own doll clothes very young, and making my clothes way before I was in high school!

Nancy
Old 08-07-2011, 05:52 AM

Okay everybody, I found me a beige 301A longbed on Craigslist for $100, with the foot pedal, case and the bobbin case. Drove from the San Jose area to San Francisco to get it. (About 60 miles.) First time on my own and I'm not too proud to admit I just kept getting lost. Found the pickup spot after a missed exit, (I had directions off of mapquest), but afterwards.... you'd think I'd never been there (or driven there), before! Left home about 2:30pm and got back around 6:30pm.

So now I've got her out and found a youtube to explain how to wind the bobbin. I cannot get the silver thing to move towards me to disengage it. Any advise, please?
Have you oiled the machine yet? Sometimes that helps... most of the time, people really crank on the stop action knob...and it's really not necessary! You may just have to get Western with it. (Grab it and force it loose)
Old 08-07-2011, 05:54 AM

If it had an oil bath you would know it. It is a metal piece the machine sits in - it has cork all the way around. You fill it with oil and the machine has a way of sucking it up into the machine and self oiling as you sew. My 241-12 has that. If I didn't feel like death warmed over I'd go shoot a picture - I still have poison ivy pretty good... I'm not getting much done at all. Yesterday my dad brought over some Zanfel and it has helped. This is so massive. It is going to take a lot more Zanfel to get rid of this monster. Then the skin where it was is pretty ragged. But if I remember I'll do a photo shoot one of these days. I still don't have her stitching. She is out on the patio under a tarp. She weighs too much for me to manhandle her about so I have to wait for DH to help. I tried putting her up on CL as is to no avail. I believe she would be a good one for quilting. Take her teeth out so she could FM.
Miriam I really feel for you. I am just getting over a case of poison oak and it drove me crazy, especially at night! If I got out in the sun, it just went crazy itching and oozing - and I only had it in a few places, but my lip was the worst! I cut a branch and it hit me in the face! Your poison ivy is way worse than I had!~ Mine is about gone, just a few red places, I hope you get over yours soon!

Nancy
Old 08-07-2011, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Ok all, I got that Hitachi I have been talking about for the last couple weeks.
That's quite the machine! With the harp space, it might be a good one to quilt with... I hope you enjoy it.
This machine does not drop it's feed dogs, at least I can't find a way to do it easily, or I would use it for machine quilting!

Nancy
are the feet screwed on? Can you just remove them?
Yes Miriam the feet at just low shank and removable.

Nancy
sorry, I should have said feed dogs... pull them out - go with no teeth...
Old 08-07-2011, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

If it had an oil bath you would know it. It is a metal piece the machine sits in - it has cork all the way around. You fill it with oil and the machine has a way of sucking it up into the machine and self oiling as you sew. My 241-12 has that. If I didn't feel like death warmed over I'd go shoot a picture - I still have poison ivy pretty good... I'm not getting much done at all. Yesterday my dad brought over some Zanfel and it has helped. This is so massive. It is going to take a lot more Zanfel to get rid of this monster. Then the skin where it was is pretty ragged. But if I remember I'll do a photo shoot one of these days. I still don't have her stitching. She is out on the patio under a tarp. She weighs too much for me to manhandle her about so I have to wait for DH to help. I tried putting her up on CL as is to no avail. I believe she would be a good one for quilting. Take her teeth out so she could FM.
Miriam I really feel for you. I am just getting over a case of poison oak and it drove me crazy, especially at night! If I got out in the sun, it just went crazy itching and oozing - and I only had it in a few places, but my lip was the worst! I cut a branch and it hit me in the face! Your poison ivy is way worse than I had!~ Mine is about gone, just a few red places, I hope you get over yours soon!

Nancy
I'm quite a basket case. I got some Zanfel and it does a job on what you cover but then if you miss one or don't get it enough it goes crazy there too. Benedryl is the pits. I'm afraid to put on much clothes. I'm suppose to be working - I'm glad some of it is flexible but flexible only goes so far.... This is round two for this summer for me.

AND I'm REALLY feeling bad for Billy. What he is going/gone through must be horrible.