Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-08-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by nickylsf
In my zeal to oil my recently acquired 301A, I put sewing machine oil in the motor tube, and then learned I should have used lubricant. I got some lubricant and tried to put that in, but it did not seem as though there was room to put any in. What should I do?
take the motor out and take it to a rebuild shop they will do a fine job servicing the motor. Then put it back. You just need to find a service manual - even the 401 manual will tell you how to do it. It is not very hard. To take it to a sewing machine shop will cost you a lot more. link to 401 manual - start at page 125 or so and scroll down - yanking the motor is the same procedure.
http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/306W25.pdf
Thanks Miriam. Would you recommend this even though the motor works fine? Just to get the oil out? Thanks
Old 08-08-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Nickylsf, I love your Wheeler & Wilson machine. Very cool! :-D
It needs so much work. DH suggested I not spend money on machines in this condition! it was only $25.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by emmah
I am glad to see someone else who thought taking Latin was worthwhile. I sure do, and wish it was still offered. So many words we use everyday have a Latin root.
I took Latin also it really helped me with my sciences and English.

Billy
Old 08-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam
In my zeal to oil my recently acquired 301A, I put sewing machine oil in the motor tube, and then learned I should have used lubricant. I got some lubricant and tried to put that in, but it did not seem as though there was room to put any in. What should I do?
take the motor out and take it to a rebuild shop they will do a fine job servicing the motor. Then put it back. You just need to find a service manual - even the 401 manual will tell you how to do it. It is not very hard. To take it to a sewing machine shop will cost you a lot more. link to 401 manual - start at page 125 or so and scroll down - yanking the motor is the same procedure.
http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/306W25.pdf
Thanks Miriam. Would you recommend this even though the motor works fine? Just to get the oil out? Thanks
I don't know any other way to tell you with out a tutorial. I bought a 403 someone had oiled the motor. It smelled like it was burning up. DH took it apart and cleaned it and it purrs great now. I have 4 machines to clean up motors. I would like to do a tutorial. Right now he is busier than a one armed paper hanger with the 7 year itch and I'm sure he won't even think about doing one. As old as those machines are it is a good idea to clean the motor - they really do run better.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:40 PM

Do you guys and gals know how special each and every one of your are. I just had someone PM me about some needles for my new Davis sewing machine. When I have needed some parts or attatchments you are there as well as any information that I need. All of you go that extra mile for everyone with information and parts. There is no way that I can say thank you to each and every one of you so I am doing this as a group effort. THANK YOU to each and everyone of you. :thumbup: Kathie S.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Kas

My 301 is running fine, I just wanted to look at the brushes to make sure they are still good. How would I go about doing that? Are they reachable without removing the motor? They are the same as the 221 brushes, right?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Silly Seller!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/atq/2535535097.html

:shock: :shock: :lol:
Maybe, I should send him a picture of the 500a I just got for $15 posted on page 1449!!!!!!Geeze!

Nancy
Where do these people come up with the outrageous prices for machines???
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Sharon W.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by emmah
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Yep, our only choices were Home Ec and foreign languages. I took Latin. Best choice I ever made.
Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Originally Posted by Charlee
:lol: I couldn't stand the old snag that taught Home Ec...I took woodshop instead!
Charlee, you are younger than I am. No possibility of woodshop for me :-( Ah, well :lol: :lol:
I am glad to see someone else who thought taking Latin was worthwhile. I sure do, and wish it was still offered. So many words we use everyday have a Latin root.
I took 4 years of Latin in HS, also required to take home ec.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kas
My 301 is running fine, I just wanted to look at the brushes to make sure they are still good. How would I go about doing that? Are they reachable without removing the motor? They are the same as the 221 brushes, right?
You have to pull the motor. See the service manual. It is complicated to get to the brushes - the service manual doesn't go into that. The brushes are usually good but need to be cleaned.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Silly Seller!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/atq/2535535097.html

:shock: :shock: :lol:
Maybe, I should send him a picture of the 500a I just got for $15 posted on page 1449!!!!!!Geeze!

Nancy
Where do these people come up with the outrageous prices for machines???
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Sharon W.
beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...