Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your sewing machine's name? >

What's your sewing machine's name?

What's your sewing machine's name?

Old 09-04-2011, 06:08 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by dreamboat
I don't have a name for any of my machines. I only have 12.
OK, I'm way behind you. I only have six. I call them the singer, the embroidery machine, the serger, the one in the white case, the old one and the treadle. I haven't named my computer either. And sometimes when I need my spouse, I call "Husband!" -- or my adult son "Boy!"

Guess I'm a cold heartless one.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by fabric=fun
Interesting the predominance of feminine names.
I think because it's "traditional" for MEN to name machines of any sort after women...we follow suit. We most likely wouldn't if we thought about why they say the machines are females...
:roll:
Old 09-04-2011, 06:18 AM

Featherweight is Ida E. After my mother in law who passed July 16th bought her after she passed.
Singer 2010 is Doky after my mom Doris, this is her nick name from her 6 sisters. (okey doky) She gave me this machine and it's a work horse , great machine.
Mia
Old 09-04-2011, 06:20 AM

Frustration as that is what I feel often when sewing on it.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:21 AM

My Janome 7700 is Sara. Well, actually she should be Sara II, since she's a replacement!

But Sara comes from all the nice led lights she has. When the room lights are off, it looks like the deck of an aircraft carrier ... my husband was in the Marines, and was a mechanic on the carrier Saratoga ..... so we came up with Sara.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:22 AM

I hadn't named my machines until I got my FW. I named her Emma. It just seemed like she needed a name even though I hadn't thought about naming any before. So now I'm working on coming up with names for my others. I have a serger I got from a dear friend of mine who taught me sooooo much about sewing (and other things too I might add). So my serger is named after her - Polly. I have my Aunt Anna's Singer sewing machine who is still inside her cabinet and I haven't even gotten the serial # off of her but I will so of course,she is called Anna. I have a Brother who is in need of some attention (lost his tension spring). I'm leaning towards calling him "Bro". That one needs a more masculine name because my 4 boys gave it to me in the 90's for my birthday. Then I have the "mystery" machine that I can't find any info on anywhere. It's sort of generic sewing machine, made well (all metal) and it says "The Dressmaker" on the front. Found her in my sil's basement after she died but she never sewed so I don't really feel drawn to name it after her. Maybe Agatha will suit her since her history is such a mystery to me! Yes, I think that's going to be her name. Then I have one more Singer I need to name. She came to me through a friend of my dh's. She's in a cabinet but she doesn't work (at least not so far for me). Not sure just what the problem is though. Maybe if I name her, she'll work for me. LOL
Old 09-04-2011, 06:26 AM

My 15-91 is named Florance after my grandmother my two others no name as nothing seems to fit.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:27 AM

Of course my Janome has a name, after my grandmother Pauline. (who was an awesome sewer I might add.....)
Old 09-04-2011, 06:36 AM

My FW is Erma Lee, after my Mother...we have 10 kids in my family...everytime Mom went to Goodwill or Salvation Army store, if there was a sewing machine there and she could affored it, it went home with her. My sisters and I still laugh at how many sewing machine Mom went thru sewing clothes for us kids....So thats why I named my pride and joy after Mom.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:43 AM

I just call my new Janome "my Baby". She costs as much as my two Human babies (Girls-26 and 21).