Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-07-2011, 02:17 AM

Here is a link to my treadle conversion of a modern machine. I have a couple of older electric machines, Featherweight, Singer 404, but this is my main machine. The best of the old and new.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-150099-1.htm
John
Old 09-07-2011, 03:57 AM

[quote=miriam][quote=vintagemotif][quote=miriam][quote=justtrish]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by jljack

Don't laugh! You are rubbing off on me! LOL I am even thinking about how to do some rearranging in my sewing room so I could have room for one. You can tell me what you think Friday, "oh great queen of fitting lots of machines in your room". :mrgreen:
I'm not the queen, but I bet ya can fit one more treadle in your sewing room.
My command center, as my husband calls it, is about 2 1/2 yds by about 1 3/4 yds and has 5 treadles, four of which have machines sitting up ready to use and the other treadle has my cutting matt and other items sitting on top. Chair sits in center. Bit of a mess right now since I have multiple projects going on.
That room looks like a lot of fun!
it does. The chair looks funny.
Miriam are you making fun of my comfy chair?!

I like my chair it swivels and rolls; plus, it's red and black.

Okay, How is this for a chair? This one sits in front of my Singer 201 which sits in my living room.
Now THAT's a chair!
Monica, I love it, its so mid-century, is it comfy?
Old 09-07-2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
Here is a link to my treadle conversion of a modern machine. I have a couple of older electric machines, Featherweight, Singer 404, but this is my main machine. The best of the old and new.
John
Good job. What is that your using for a belt?
Old 09-07-2011, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
John
John that is so cool! There are several people in this shop that have converted a vintage electric machine, but I think you are the first one here who converted a modern machine to a treadle!

Nancy
Old 09-07-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
Pictures of my "new' two spools. Someone wanted a specific photo, if none of these show what it is you wanted to see, let me know.
Buslady, love your new Two Spools! The cabinet looks like it is in really good shape too! Is that an Eldredge or a National? It looks like the Eldredge - I think I see a faint 'E' showing.

Nancy
Old 09-07-2011, 05:15 AM

My command center, as my husband calls it, is about 2 1/2 yds by about 1 3/4 yds and has 5 treadles, four of which have machines sitting up ready to use and the other treadle has my cutting matt and other items sitting on top. Chair sits in center. Bit of a mess right now since I have multiple projects going on.
Monica, I love the arrangement of your treadles! I remember when you only had two! I'd love to do that too, but I can't because of the Murphy bed in my sewing room! I so need to get my DH to do an addition to this house so my sewing room is just a sewing room!

Nancy
Old 09-07-2011, 05:17 AM

Looking for information please--A friend bought this Singer 201 Centenial machine at a Salvation Army auction for $5.00. Inside was the owners information, personal address book, etc. When the friend got to looking at the names in the book, he recognized that it was a high society list of the important people in Ft Worth Texas in the mid 1950's. How fun!!
They have never seen a cabinet like this, and wondered if it is unusual or if it had a "style" name, Really anything on it.
Thanks,

Texas Jan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-252746.jpe
Views:	147
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	252752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-252747.jpe
Views:	145
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	252753  
Old 09-07-2011, 05:17 AM

Looking for information please--A friend bought this Singer 201 Centenial machine at a Salvation Army auction for $5.00. Inside was the owners information, personal address book, etc. When the friend got to looking at the names in the book, he recognized that it was a high society list of the important people in Ft Worth Texas in the mid 1950's. How fun!!
They have never seen a cabinet like this, and wondered if it is unusual or if it had a "style" name, Really anything on it.
Thanks,

Texas Jan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-252748.jpe
Views:	142
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	252754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-252749.jpe
Views:	145
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	252755  
Old 09-07-2011, 05:22 AM

Well, I started my very first quilt on my treadle 66-1 today. It is working so nicely....about 15 minutes into sewing the old belt broke. I put on the new one, and finding it stiff and slips some. I tightened it up, and it is sewing better, but still slips some and seems like the belt is stiff. Am I correct? It needs to soften up? Anyway, I LOVE the feeling of the treadle, and my seam is just wonderful!
Janice besides tightening the belt, take a rag and wipe the entire belt down. Also wipe the treadle belt grooves - the one near the hand wheel and the one on the irons. Sometimes, when we oil these machines we get oil in those grooves and on the belt, which will cause slipping.

Nancy
Old 09-07-2011, 05:27 AM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=miriam][quote=justtrish][quote=vintagemotif]

Don't laugh! You are rubbing off on me! LOL I am even thinking about how to do some rearranging in my sewing room so I could have room for one. You can tell me what you think Friday, "oh great queen of fitting lots of machines in your room". :mrgreen:

That room looks like a lot of fun!
it does. The chair looks funny.
Miriam are you making fun of my comfy chair?!

I like my chair it swivels and rolls; plus, it's red and black.

Okay, How is this for a chair? This one sits in front of my Singer 201 which sits in my living room.
I love the covering on the chair seat!
Jan on 446