Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-23-2011, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Suzi
Would anyone know where I can go to date a White treadle machine ....... I'm not having any luck. The serial number is 1330531. Thanks in advance
Suzi, here is the site to date a White, and badged White machines. Pull up the site and scroll down to "Serial Number/Dating List" - click on that and you can date your machine.

http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession
Nancy
Old 09-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
Originally Posted by miriam
I received free, an older metal, Montgomery Ward sewing machine. It looks great but the gears are frozen. A repair man has had it soaking in something for over a month and is giving it back to me. It is still frozen but he said it would cost over 200.00 to take apart the gears and fix it to run. The motor hums along, so I know it is ok. Anyone have any ides about this little problem! I like the machine because you can drop the feed dogs, it is nice and clean and there is no rust.
parts machine?
What model is it?
Some are pretty easy to find.

That would mean I have to find another old Montgomery Ward sewing machine that needs everything but the gears??? That is so pitiful...'cause I would probably star looking for one!
Old 09-23-2011, 02:21 PM

I received free, an older metal, Montgomery Ward sewing machine. It looks great but the gears are frozen. A repair man has had it soaking in something for over a month and is giving it back to me. It is still frozen but he said it would cost over 200.00 to take apart the gears and fix it to run. The motor hums along, so I know it is ok. Anyone have any ides about this little problem! I like the machine because you can drop the feed dogs, it is nice and clean and there is no rust.
parts machine?
What model is it?

That would mean I have to find another old Montgomery Ward sewing machine that needs everything but the gears??? That is so pitiful...'cause I would probably star looking for one!
I will let you know when I get it back!
Old 09-23-2011, 02:30 PM

Billy, glad to see that you are back with us, please take care of yourself. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:33 PM

Just finished a tutorial on machine binding using a Davis NVF and Singer 328; can be found on my blog.

I spent late last night (very early morning) trying to improve the look of my machine binding work. This is what I came up with after many trial and errors.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

parts machine?
What model is it?

I will let you know when I get it back!
You know, I have a Singer 401G that was totally locked up when I got it. I soaked it good then took a jar opener king of thing and turned the balance wheel. Jiggle a bit then oil, jiggle a bit then oil.... but I could feel that the gears below the bobbin were the ones stuck. So DH got an old leather belt and used it as a grip and turned them - rocked back and forth - added oil, heat, rocked.... I think maybe we hit it with a hammer - gently - don't do it with one you have much hope for.... It did eventually work. Unfortunately I got it out of time and had to find a manual and then work up the nerve to try it.... It wasn't very hard after all....

On the other hand your repair man is right. Changing the gears would be a bad job. You not only have to get it all apart and back together but you have to get the timing to work and who knows what else. For $200 you might be able to get several machines that are in working order and need minimum repairs or parts. Or you might get several in non-working order that are similar and use parts off the donor to fix the others. I have a Singer 500 that has donated her throat plate, her bobbin plate, her needle bar, her stitch selector, the spring that holds the bobbin holder in place, her stitch length knob, the motor, the nose cover, the tension, the light, the feet, the disks, the cord, the foot control and so on. Those parts went on various Singers 401A, 401G, 404, 403, a Singer 411G, a different Singer 500, & a Singer 503. So far, I haven't needed the same part for anything. I have only had to mail order one thumb screw. There were times when I was good and glad to find a thread guide that wasn't rusted out and put it on a different machine. So would you say I wasted that Singer 500 machine?
Old 09-23-2011, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by justtrish
Originally Posted by melinda1962
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8627772

Black 301 in a trapezoid cabinet, with lots of attachments. Anyone in the indianapolis area, heads up. Big advantage, since pickup only. Hope this goes to a good home. I would love a black one. Mine is the tan, and I got it before I even knew it was good.

M I R I A M!!!!!!
:mrgreen:

M I R I A M!!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :-o :mrgreen:
Old 09-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by justtrish
Originally Posted by melinda1962
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8627772

Black 301 in a trapezoid cabinet, with lots of attachments. Anyone in the indianapolis area, heads up. Big advantage, since pickup only. Hope this goes to a good home. I would love a black one. Mine is the tan, and I got it before I even knew it was good.

M I R I A M!!!!!!
:mrgreen:

M I R I A M!!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :-o :mrgreen:
ok - I'll pick it up for who ever gets the bid.... U pay Postage... :hunf: I ain't got credit cards, pay pal or what ever...
Old 09-23-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dolly's sister
Ok I uncovered my little jewel vintage Singer. She is a 1927 Model 66, SN AB724262. I will attach the pictures you've all been waiting for. I posted them on the regular board, but Janice said I needed to post them here too.
She is missing the spool pin for the thread, but I even have the manual that was revised in 1924, it was in the bottom drawer. She is a treadle, seems to work fine, I will clean her up and see how she sews someday.
So glad you brought her here to show everyone....since you teased us all with the "never looked" post....we were all dying to see what was inside!! LOL
Old 09-23-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
cute idea to use for antique sewing machine decals

http://justsomethingimade.com/2009/1...singer-decals/
Hey, that's pretty cool!! They might be able to print them on some clear paper backed adhesive that could be used to re-decal old machines.