Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yes...another quilting magazine question. >

Yes...another quilting magazine question.

Yes...another quilting magazine question.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:50 AM

I just received the same offer and as I routinely purchase this magazine and do use the patterns and pictures for inspiration I will ordering the subscription. My onlyother subscription is Quilters World.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:12 PM

I have nothing to offer in the way of deciding weather or not to buy the magazine but take reviews with a grain. Often negative reviews come from the competition or keep in mind that people tend to be more vocal when complaining and less vocal when they are pleased with something.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:32 PM

Thanks again for all of your responses. I too like ads...in fact I have some really old quilting magazines here; and when I unpacked boxes a few months ago I took those outside to read while sitting in the sun around the pool. I looked at every page and was even reading the ads in them...lol.

Like I said...I'll check out the magazines at JoAnn's next week and then make a decision. With my luck I'll probably find several I like and come home with all of them.

Thanks for the website Havplenty. I will check it out later.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:00 AM

I used to subscribe to 3 different quilt magazines. I realized I only used the patterns out of AP&Q. This in now the only magazine I subscribe to.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:06 AM

I too let my subscription to this one run out this year. I have subscribed for about 5 years, but this last year, I found not much of anything that interested me. It seemed to me that every quilt in each issue was drab and dull. Maybe it was me, but that is how it seemed.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by LindaM49
Like I said...I'll check out the magazines at JoAnn's next week and then make a decision. With my luck I'll probably find several I like and come home with all of them.
Checking them out for yourself is the best idea....glad you are going to do that. I do think BH&G is a good magazine, but I only buy it when I love a particular issue, not a subscription.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:09 AM

A couple of times per year, they put out a quilt shop edition that features 10 quilt shops around the US and Canada. I always buy that in addition to my subscription. Sam's carries at least the 10-shop edition and they are 30% off, so it would be a good time to buy that one. The new Fall one is out now. I love the magazine and I am what I'd call an intermediate quilter.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:18 AM

I think each of us looks for different things in magazines and, as a result, we each like different magazines. Personally, I don't like BH&G quilt magazine but that's my thing and it doesn't have to be everyone else's.

See? I can be open minded!

:)
Old 09-28-2011, 03:25 AM

At one point I subscribed to almost every magazine out there (really) and after a couple of years decided that I would never make every quilt I wanted to in these magazines and felt a bit overloaded with ideas...to the point of not making anything.

Soooo, I analyzed each and realized quickly that most I rarely even liked one quilt in them EXCEPT AP&Q. That magazine, in my opinion, is the best out there. I still receive it and get butterflies in my stomach as I walk up my driveway with it after visiting my mailbox.

So worth the money you pay!

Also, Pat Sloan is the host of the radio show for them. I don't listen online, but I do download all the podcasts from iTunes (FREE) and listen to them on my way to/from work. LOVE that show!

Suzanne
Old 09-28-2011, 03:55 AM

I have subscribed off & on for the last 20+ years. I wait until I get the 2 for 1 offer to resubscribe. Just did it with the same offer as you have. It's a pretty good magazine for the amount you pay.