Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yes...another quilting magazine question. >

Yes...another quilting magazine question.

Yes...another quilting magazine question.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:36 AM

I received the offer in the mail from BH&G for American Patchwork & Quilting magazine. 2 years and pay for 1 plus the free gift of 101 Expert Tips booklet. I've done a search here and found a LOT of posts saying they love this magazine.

I decided to go out on the web and check out Amazon's reviews since I DO order stuff from a lot of stuff from them.

7 reviews and 4 people gave it 5 stars, 1 person gave it 4 stars and then 1 gave it 2 and another gave it 1. I was more interested in the 2 low ratings. The person who gave it 1 star said something like just because your grandmother quilted doesn't make you an expert...refering to the editor. She said the editor needs more experience. Then the person that gave it 2 stars said...the projects seemed to be designed more for the high end sewing machines, too much applique' projects, ads
and modern looking patterns. Her review also stated too many beginner projects or seriously complex or way too contemporary. She then commented about an article from a textile designer that wasn't about quilting etc. and said..."BLEH".

All of that above to say that I am looking at all of the papers that came yesterday and I see several things I like just in those.

So...for those who DO have a subscription to this magazine...who do I believe? LOL
Old 09-27-2011, 08:41 AM

I love the mag, but you could buy a copy locally and decide for yourself. I subscribe based not on how many patterns I think I'll be able to use but more as inspiration for my own quilting.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:49 AM

I think you'll find things you like and don't like about every quilting magazine. I also use the magazine more for inspiration and to relax and see what is going on in the quilt world without being at the computer.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

It's such a matter of personal opinion, there is no definitive answer.

Currently there is no quilting magazine that I really love. I buy an issue only if there is at least one quilt in it that I would actually like to make.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:55 AM

Buy one at a local source before buying a subscription. Over the years if Had had done that I would have saved $$$ .
Old 09-27-2011, 09:00 AM

Like the others said above, you'll find all sorts of different opinions both ways. I actually have started to like the magazine a bit more lately; not sure if anything major has changed.

I would be careful about reviews at Amazon. The comment about the editor just seems like someone has an "axe to grind" about something. (Maybe they keep rejecting that person's submissions and she's unhappy...) Quiltzillas are everywhere LOL!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:15 AM

I got the same add today, Trashed it I can not afford that much money even for a 2 year subscription. I finds tons of stuff on the internet for free.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the info. I am going to Joann's next week to pick up a couple of small things that I need/want so I will check the magazines there. One of the things that I liked in one of the brochures was...one of their "experts" provides color options. So if you don't like the look of plain brown/tan/rust she shows you a completely different option using prints of all different colors. That's where I need the most help...selecting colors and prints that go together. Although sometimes depending on my mood I can get a little "wild" making the bags/purses.

I do know there is tons on the internet but I am from the old school I guess. I prefer getting my newspaper delivered everyday over reading it online. I prefer buying books over using a Kindle or whatever the other book readers are called. And when it comes to sewing I don't mind reading tips online but I prefer the book or magazines in my grimy little hands. lol
Old 09-27-2011, 09:39 AM

I've got several quilt magazine subscriptions that I'm going to let expire but that's one that I plan on keeping. I like the magazine. Everyone's opinions are different. What works for me may not work for you. With a deal like the one you have it takes the per issue price way down. Why not give it a try and decide for yourself.

My quilt subscriptions are one of the little treats I allow myself. Not every magazine is loaded with things I'll make by I look forward to getting them and they're relatively inexpensive compared to other indulgences I might have - shoes, jewelry, Starbucks every day, etc.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:46 AM

In the 1990's, I found every single issue of QNM and Miniature Quilts to be worthwhile. No longer. I don't subscribe to any mags anymore, though I'd like to.