Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yes...another quilting magazine question. >

Yes...another quilting magazine question.

Yes...another quilting magazine question.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:01 AM

I agree on Quilters Newsletter. I think most of their stuff is for reallllllly experienced quilters. I like McCalls also.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 AM

The only Hancock's in our area had moved into the old Ben Franklin Craft store. It didn't even last a year. I was making gingerbread dolls and went there for the first time thinking I would find everything for my dolls. I needed to buy brown felt and they did not have any. To me it looked more like an outlet store. So I went to JoAnn's and found everything. A few months later Hancock was closed. Yet I hear how so many people love their store. Guess we got stuck with a bad one.

Oh...and I know to well about renewing magazines. I subscribed to Rachael Ray's mag. and also NewsMax and before I got my first issue of RR I got a renewal notice. When I got my first issue of NewsMax there was a card enclosed to renew...and both of these were 2 year subscriptions. lol
Old 09-28-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by LindaM49
I received the offer in the mail from BH&G for American Patchwork & Quilting magazine. 2 years and pay for 1 plus the free gift of 101 Expert Tips booklet. I've done a search here and found a LOT of posts saying they love this magazine.

I decided to go out on the web and check out Amazon's reviews since I DO order stuff from a lot of stuff from them.

7 reviews and 4 people gave it 5 stars, 1 person gave it 4 stars and then 1 gave it 2 and another gave it 1. I was more interested in the 2 low ratings. The person who gave it 1 star said something like just because your grandmother quilted doesn't make you an expert...refering to the editor. She said the editor needs more experience. Then the person that gave it 2 stars said...the projects seemed to be designed more for the high end sewing machines, too much applique' projects, ads
and modern looking patterns. Her review also stated too many beginner projects or seriously complex or way too contemporary. She then commented about an article from a textile designer that wasn't about quilting etc. and said..."BLEH".

All of that above to say that I am looking at all of the papers that came yesterday and I see several things I like just in those.

So...for those who DO have a subscription to this magazine...who do I believe? LOL
The editor is just the editior - I'd go by the designs of the quilts (their appeal and skill level range) and the clarity of the instructions. I have subscribed to this magazine for a decade and it's one of 3 subscriptions I still maintain ... while 7 others went bye-bye.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 AM

'yes,i really like this magazine.no, i don't subscribe.i think it has 6 issues a year.i use 40% off coupon from hobby lobby,and pay about$3.60 an issue.if i flip through it and don't like it ....don't buy !
Old 09-28-2011, 10:19 AM

Why not go to a bookstore like B&N and see if they have it; buy a cup of coffee and set down and check it out. I'm trying to stick to ebooks and emagazines now so that I can reduce the clutter.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:00 PM

I received the same offer. Nowhere could I find how many issues there are in the year, probably 6, but it doesn't say ... unless I somehow overlooked it. It's a moot point for me, though, because I already have a few hundred magazines and need no more.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:33 PM

I threw mine away also. I can find just about anything I want or need on the quilt board. If I can't find it someone else can or will find it. Which I am forever grateful. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2011, 12:47 PM

I've subscribed to this magazine since they first started. No, I don't love every issue but they usually have enough in each one to hold my interest. Even if I don't make a lot of things out of them, I DO love to go back and look at the quilts from time to time. A lot of the stuff is "beyond my expertise" but I can still look!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:16 PM

I too love this magazine and no one likes every pattern that is in one magazine.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:56 PM

If you're smart you'll go to the supermarket, quilt shop, Walmart, etc. and purchase a single copy of the magazine (or stand there and leaf through it).
To paraphrase:
Believe none of what they say and half of what you see.
After going thru the mags, decide for yourself if they are what you're looking for.