Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Did I Do A Boo Boo Yesterday!!!!! >
  • Did I Do A Boo Boo Yesterday!!!!!

• Did I Do A Boo Boo Yesterday!!!!!

Old 09-30-2011, 03:06 PM

Many years ago about 60 yrs. I was warming the babies bottle and fell asleep What a clean up job I had entire kitchen has formula this is what you call milk washing the walls. LOL
    Old 09-30-2011, 04:42 PM

My youngest Grandson, Brycen was here one day when I was getting things ready for a Church Dinner I always called him "Honey Baby". He came in while I was at the Computer and kept saying, "it,s popping, Honey Baby, it's popping."
    sure enough, when I got to the kitchen, they had exploded.What a mess!
    Old 09-30-2011, 04:43 PM

Yes, when our son was on his mission for LDS church, we could only speak to him on Christmas and Mother's Day. When he called Christmas morning, we were hard boiling some eggs and they popped, a scary sound fortunately the glass top didn't crack. So sorry for you.
    Old 09-30-2011, 04:56 PM

Sorry about your ruined stove and the mess. I have boiled all kinds of food dry and burned things in the oven to a crisp. I would blame it on age except for the fact I've been doing it all my life. I do set the timer and carry it with me most of the time. But sometimes I forget that too. I get so distracted by other things. I do want to thank the ladies who shared the tip about bringing eggs and speghetti to boil and then turn off the heat and let stand. That will certainly save me in the future from the same kind of mess
    Old 09-30-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by DJRustic
    Quilting gets me in so much trouble sometimes---- like yesterday!!!
    I was going to have a salad for dinner last nite & wanted some boiled eggs in it. I put 6 eggs on to boil & went downstairs to my quilt room. I got so involved in sewing, I was putting the last border on my fall quilt. I heard a loud bang, looked out the windows in my sewing room ( in walk out basement) & saw hubbie out back stacking firewood. Thought this is what I heard, went back to sewing.
    Sister came down & said did you have eggs on the stove. I went flying up those stairs to find smoke & eggs all over the place & I do mean all over the place. Pan was stuck on stove ( glass top) When it cooled off came a huge piece of glass. After clening I have a crack across the glass. Makes me sick. The stove is only 1 yr old. This is going to be a very expense quilt I am afraid. Needless to say we did not have our salad for dinner.
    Have any of you ever done this.? I feel so stupid.
    Say, you might want to check your homeowners Ins.... it is possible you might be able to make a claim and get a new stove.... ck and see it might be worth checking .... even if the ans. is no...
    Old 09-30-2011, 05:21 PM

erp!!! :oops: I did the exact same thing about a yr ago!!! put on eggs, went outside for just a min to take out the trash, and got side tracked, the dog was in the house, thank goodness -

he started to bark like a nut which he never does, and I ran back in and the kitchen was thick with smoke and the dog was just so upset! Good thing he barked! I had to air out the house, I went to move the pot, It was fused to the top - put water on the glass and it went off like a gunshot and whole chunk of glass came up. Hubs was away at work on the road for weeks yet. Had to use it with 3 burners and a hole -lol

We ended up ordering just the top from a local kitchen store. Open the oven door, or the broiler, there is a metal tag giving the part/ manufacture number. start pricing just the top, order by the number. A new top cost us (I'll ask hubs to be sure) around 250$. You pull the stove away from the wall, go to the back, unscrew some bolts back there, then on the front and it lifts off and unplugs (MAKE SURE U TURN THE MAIN ELECTRIC FUSE BOX OFF). Just plug the new top in and rebolt everything. easy peasy. sharet
    Old 09-30-2011, 05:30 PM

I NEVER walk out of the kitchen for ANYTHING without setting the timer!!
    Old 09-30-2011, 06:46 PM

Oh, dear! My DH did this several years ago. It was so bad the insurance company had to have a restoration company come in to clean everything! The smoke damage was horrid! Nothing I used even touched it! Good luck!
    Old 09-30-2011, 07:21 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Now I don't feel so stupid--- cause it seems like there have been plenty of you out there that have done the same thing. When I put things on to cook for a long time & go outside or go do something else I can remember to go back to check it. It seems like only when I go to my quilt room that this happens to me. Actually I didn't tell the whole truth. This happened to me almost exactly ( eggs all over the place) about 6 mons ago with this same stove & it took just a little chunk of the glass off but didn't crack the stove. This time it was the same burner & the same type of pot, emamel. Think this is why it took a bigger chunk out & cracked the stove.
    I haven't had time to look into getting it replaced yet. pd almost 1000.00 for the stove & love it. Just hope the top isn't too evpensive.
    Thanks Arimuse for the info on replacing the top & the cost.
    Lessons well learnt by me. Guess third time will have to be my charm or something like that, perhaps my luck. I just hope it never happens again.
    Just don't know how those tiny litle eggs can be scattered all over the place like they were. LOL.
    Thanks, Donna, The Rustic Quilter
    Old 09-30-2011, 07:25 PM

Is it under warrenty- maybe you can get the top replaced... They don't have to know how it happened. Oh, yeah, or homeowner's insurance?

I once left my teapot on the stove and melted the metal teapot.

We had molten metal melted spots in our floor and countertops- BIG OOPS!