Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ASked my DH for help, and well.... >

ASked my DH for help, and well....

ASked my DH for help, and well....

Old 10-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Jim

Problem is ...trying to do maintenance on a machine without reading instructions and not knowing what needs oil/greased in the first place be it husband or you...sorry you are having troubles but the fault seems 50/50...practice on a scrap piece of fabric and change the settings slowly to correct the tension problems...its oiled and greased now so of course things want to run faster or smoother..again sorry for all the problems.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jim
Problem is ...trying to do maintenance on a machine without reading instructions and not knowing what needs oil/greased in the first place be it husband or you...sorry you are having troubles but the fault seems 50/50
I'm not intending to blame him entirely for the issue....I already said I wasnt sure what I was doing hence I asked him for help! I just didn't want to make it worse myself...hence I asked for help here.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Sounds like he greased or oiled parts he shouldn't have and maybe some of it is in your tension discs/guides. Newer machines have specific areas to oil (or not). You should probably try removing all the grease and oil he "added" and see if that helps. Otherwise a service call will be in order.
I agree with this. Also, wondering did he use the correct oil?
Old 10-09-2011, 11:05 AM

Was it sewing badly before you serviced it? I have Vikings so I don't know about oiling and such. Did it need it or did you think it was time? Sorry I'm not much help.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:16 AM

I have same problem. My manual for my Brother clearly states no oil. DH said it was a misprint & oiled the b jebbers outta my machine. Luckly my machine just ejected it all. No harm done, just more careful of when to ask DH for help. He cleans my machines really well except for the oil thing.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:22 AM

Oh! Mine says to use sewing machine oil! I wasn't having problems before hand but when I saw that it needed to be done more often and I had never done it I thought I'd better do it before I have problems...LOL!
Old 10-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Jim

Originally Posted by chelgvns
Originally Posted by Jim
Problem is ...trying to do maintenance on a machine without reading instructions and not knowing what needs oil/greased in the first place be it husband or you...sorry you are having troubles but the fault seems 50/50
I'm not intending to blame him entirely for the issue....I already said I wasnt sure what I was doing hence I asked him for help! I just didn't want to make it worse myself...hence I asked for help here.
sorry didnt mean it to sound like blaming anyone
Old 10-09-2011, 01:09 PM

So my DH came in while I was messing with the machine...and I had to fess up! He fixed it...took apart wiped down and changed the needle for me! And presto its running great so far! Silly me...I sure hope it wasn't the needle this whole time cause that would be silly:}
Old 10-09-2011, 01:14 PM
tmw

some of the new machines don't need oiling????!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 01:26 PM

It may have been that the needle was removed and not put back in the proper direction, or that the needle was dull. Just run it on some scraps for a while and see if that was the problem.... and be sure to thank DH for helping!!