Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ASked my DH for help, and well.... >

ASked my DH for help, and well....

ASked my DH for help, and well....

Old 10-09-2011, 10:28 AM

I have a Brother LX3125 - basic model beginners sewing machine. I got it for Xmas last year so I could teach myself how to sew and I have unever done any maintwnce on it - I know shameful! Well I decided that I better do the basic cleaning and oiling and whatnot! Well I got nervouse and asked DH for help, and well... I guess I should have kept in mind that he's a grease monkey LOL! I am pretty sure he went overboard all my thread turns gray!!!! I have ran it with out threading. And ran it and ran it not helping ...well I finally got my thread to stop turning grey but the next issue is ....ever since he did whatever he did I can't get the tension on top and bottom thread right...occasinally the top thread snaps , the bobbin getts kinda crazY and know the tension wheel is grabbing my thread and keeping it...this last time it snapped it and it got all wound inside the machine. I'm a little frustrated and don't really want DH to help anymore....besides if I say something he may NEVER help me again! Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

letting your husband do the maintanance!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:34 AM

sigh... so sorry... don't know how to help, but understand your dilemma!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110
letting your husband do the maintanance!!!
I know what can I say I'm a gluton for punishment!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:37 AM

I am sure you have looked in where the bobbin casing goes, and taken your little cleaning brush to it. I am wondering if maybe a small piece of thread maybe came loose with the oiling, and is hung somewhere?.. I have a little vacuum that I can use, maybe try that, too...I also had a little too much oil with my last maintenance...and the "grey" thread...I did just like you, ran it without thread, and also with, over and over and over...
Good luck to you,
Kif
Old 10-09-2011, 10:38 AM

just be sure it's threaded correctly!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:38 AM

Sounds like he greased or oiled parts he shouldn't have and maybe some of it is in your tension discs/guides. Newer machines have specific areas to oil (or not). You should probably try removing all the grease and oil he "added" and see if that helps. Otherwise a service call will be in order.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

When he's gone for the day, take the housing off the machine and clean out the excess oil. Do not take the fly wheel off the machine. It has a clutch and very tricky to put back in the right configuration. No grease should ever be used on the gears and axles, just clear machine oil if they aren't self lubricating. No oil at all if plastic. If he used the spray type lubricant you need to get rid of all residue. It will collect dust and cause all kind of problems. Floss your tension disc with thread until the thread comes out clean.
I would have no problem telling my DH my machine he cleaned wasn't working like it should. He could sew on it and see what the problems I have are.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:45 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

1. Take it in for service.
2. Take your DH (D open for interpretation here!) with you and be sure to have the serviceman speak to him about the right way to maintain the machine AFTER your DH tells the repairman what he did to it.
3. Pretty much keep DH away from your tools from now on, but share what you're making and what storage facilites you need so he can be involved in making those.

You're learning! :D

Jan in VA
Old 10-09-2011, 10:50 AM

He is a dear! He's just a mans man and thinks sewing is well let's not go there I thought by asking him to help me he would be a little more interested in what I'm doing. Don't get me wrong, he is supportive of my sewing just not real excited about it. But he is used to working on heqavy equipment and thing that well the more grease the better...lol! He did use my sewing machime oil and he really thinks he helped me out I just don't have the heart to tell him he made it worse!