Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ASked my DH for help, and well.... >

ASked my DH for help, and well....

ASked my DH for help, and well....

Old 10-10-2011, 08:59 AM

I'd take it in and get it serviced by a professional. Bless your DHs heart for doing his best but you need to get your machine in top working order for less stress and frustration AND finally quilt in peace (pieces) again.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:41 AM

If this is a new machine, you should have a year's free service. Take it back to the vendor and explain the problem. If a used machine, take it to a vendor anyway and just pay to have it serviced correctly. Do you live in Webb City? Carthage?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

You haven't been married very long have you? As someone who has been married for 43 years, never let them touch your machines, unless, of course, that you know he is absolutely mechanically reclined, in that case - go ahead and ask. The one time I did ask DH for help I was trying to get my button maker to work and couldn't quite get it figured out. I was ready to go to the sewing machine shop where I bought the sewing machine, when he came in and within 3 minutes had figured out the problem. At least he hasn't held it up to my face too often. He is an engineer, so I have to put up with getting a lesson on building a clock when I ask him the time, but about the only thing he has seriously messed up has been plumbing.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:31 PM

Now, make the first quilt for him. Maybe by seeing what you can make (even if it isn't the greatest) he'll get that interest you so want him to have, BUT heed the advice of the other members and never let him do maintenance on the machine again. :thumbdown:
Old 10-10-2011, 03:06 PM

I brought a babylock last december and every time I change thread I have tension problems. I have taken it back 3 times to be worked on. Of course they never tell me the problem but they are good about repairing it. I really would like to take it back for goodbut feel too embarrassed to do so. I have a singer that I have had for over 3o years so I think I will go back to it. My husband would never touch my machine!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
1. Take it in for service.
2. Take your DH (D open for interpretation here!) with you and be sure to have the serviceman speak to him about the right way to maintain the machine AFTER your DH tells the repairman what he did to it.
3. Pretty much keep DH away from your tools from now on, but share what you're making and what storage facilites you need so he can be involved in making those.

You're learning! :D

Jan in VA

YUP thats my vote. Have a Necchi sitting in pieces :(
Old 10-10-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by true4uca
I have same problem. My manual for my Brother clearly states no oil. DH said it was a misprint & oiled the b jebbers outta my machine. Luckly my machine just ejected it all. No harm done, just more careful of when to ask DH for help. He cleans my machines really well except for the oil thing.
My Brother also says not to oil it!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:36 PM

Give your DH a big hug and thank you. He tried and his heart is in the right place. But, you may want to take it to a professional shop for cleaning and adjusting. With everything not working right, it may take an experienced person to set it straight.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:35 PM

Check your manual and see if there is a fix for your problem.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Sometimes, it is best to use a trained person to do the work. My machine only gets touched by the dealer. Did DH read directions first?