Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ASked my DH for help, and well.... >

ASked my DH for help, and well....

ASked my DH for help, and well....

Old 10-10-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Confederate Rose
I brought a babylock last december and every time I change thread I have tension problems. I have taken it back 3 times to be worked on. Of course they never tell me the problem but they are good about repairing it. I really would like to take it back for goodbut feel too embarrassed to do so. I have a singer that I have had for ovehave thr best machiner 3o years so I think I will go back to it. My husband would never touch my machine!
I never have had to adjust my "baby" tension.Talk to the repairman directly. You have the BEST machine something is wrong so try local but then start at the top if you are still having problems. If you have a large quilt show in your area speak to the reps there, they want you to be a satisfied customer
Old 10-10-2011, 06:26 PM

There are wonderful book available for working on sewing machines. Kind of like a 'Chiltons' for cars. Get him one. Quick.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
There are wonderful book available for working on sewing machines. Kind of like a 'Chiltons' for cars. Get him one. Quick.
Oh Lordy! Better not tell my DH that! He has a whole library of them for our various cars....course he does keep them running...but really don't want him near Ruby (my Benina 830)! At least with tools in his hands. 8-)
Old 10-10-2011, 07:07 PM

Tell dear hubby your dilemma- at first he'll say it's just you but if he's a grease monkey put him to work to fix it. You may end up getting an ew machine out of this- I'd suggest scouting out an older metal model which is more solid less break down and if Hubby gets his hands on it it can be fixed 90 percent of the time by himself.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by MargeD
you know he is absolutely mechanically reclined
Rofl this struck me so funny.... like a La-Z-Boy!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:51 PM

Funny . . . I have a Janome and my husband wanted to oil the darn thing too! He couldn't figure out where to oil it. Glad he stopped there . . . and I took it in to have it serviced. He has oiled my old Singer and all of his classic cars, my Kirby . . . and thought it was weird not to be able to oil my new manchine. Guys . . . can't live with them nor without them. <GGG>
Old 10-11-2011, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
Originally Posted by tmw
some of the new machines don't need oiling????!!!
My trusty mechanical Brother which is about 7 years old doesn't need oiling. It is a workhorse, bless it's heart!!
I have a newer Brother and my manual clearly states DO NOT OIL. Question, if I have the ability to clean out lint, etc., why does the manual direct me to have regular service/maintenance? What would they do to it that I can't? It runs fine.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110
letting your husband do the maintanance!!!
Hahaha! That's it exactly! Take your machine to a qualified serviceperson and stop fooling with it if you don't know what you're doing. There are things that they can do that a regular quilter with a bottle of oil and a screwdriver can't. You'll be glad you did. (And don't let hubby help again!!)
Old 10-11-2011, 08:36 AM

I totally understand where you are coming from. My husband would "oil" the same way as your husband did. Good luck on getting it back to "normal".
Old 10-11-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by MargeD
You haven't been married very long have you? As someone who has been married for 43 years, never let them touch your machines, unless, of course, that you know he is absolutely mechanically reclined, in that case - go ahead and ask. The one time I did ask DH for help I was trying to get my button maker to work and couldn't quite get it figured out. I was ready to go to the sewing machine shop where I bought the sewing machine, when he came in and within 3 minutes had figured out the problem. At least he hasn't held it up to my face too often. He is an engineer, so I have to put up with getting a lesson on building a clock when I ask him the time, but about the only thing he has seriously messed up has been plumbing.
Hahaha! That's exactly what we used to say about my dad, who was an architectural engineer - ask him the time and he'd tell you how to build a watch! Haven't heard that in a while!