Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-12-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bfs/2606628777.html
Is anybody looking for the old taylor's machine. It is considered industrial. These are a very good machine. I bet if you treadled it you could move some stuff through.
It looks like that has a great harp space!
What a machine to FMQ with, if the feed dogs could be dropped/covered...
All you experts, what do you know about this type of machine? Would it be the type that could be used for that?
And the table - looks like it is at a height for standing???

Another question - I know nothing about industrial machines - Why are there electrical cords AND a treadle pedal? Is the pedal for a different use on this machine? Or is it just a giant foot control for the machine?
Old 10-12-2011, 05:05 AM

Mirriam
What do you mean try oil? What oil?
I looked at Billy's tute, you use kerosene! that just doesn't seem right. Doesn't it hurt the decals? My singers both have good decals, I don't want to remove them. That is the only thing that I'm worried about, the rest I think I can handle.
Thanks for all you patience and advice.
Darlene
Old 10-12-2011, 05:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by grammydar
Mirriam
I looked at Billy's tute, you use kerosene! that just doesn't seem right. Doesn't it hurt the decals? My singers both have good decals, I don't want to remove them. That is the only thing that I'm worried about, the rest I think I can handle.
Darlene
The kerosene is for the mechanics of the machine, Non Pumice Go Jo is for the finish f the machine but make sure to test a spot on the rear of the pillar to make sure it will not hurt the decals.

Billy
Old 10-12-2011, 05:33 AM

Thanks Charlee, Vintagemotif, and Miriam. It really is addictive to clean these up!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett
And...the after pics. Spent my Sunday on her. :) Had to really be gentle with the decals. I noticed a few places where the detailed shading was starting to come off, so had to lay off a bit.
Bennett, beautiful machine. Yes, you have to be careful cleaning those decals or they will end up silvered!

Nancy
Old 10-12-2011, 06:03 AM

Finally got around to the pics of the Domestic 151 I bought for $15.00 this past weekend.
The top had no damage, nadda, zilch when I bought it. When I got it home, there were goofy zig zag lines notched out of the top. Only thing I can come up with, is the one guy who helped carry it to my car, (one handed) must have taken his keys out and keyed it. I had asked him not to drag the legs as he pulled it away from an object as it could break and or weaken them and I guess that set him off. S.O.B. Man was I fuming when I discovered it. Anyway, soon as we figure out how to get it out of the cabinet, we will clean her up, see how she runs, rewire if we need, and I will probably sell her. I am trying to save up money for a treadle and a really nice clean FW.
Be patient, there are 5 pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-269906.jpe
Views:	190
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	269959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-269907.jpe
Views:	191
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	269960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-269908.jpe
Views:	191
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	269961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-269909.jpe
Views:	190
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	269962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-269910.jpe
Views:	183
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	269963  

Old 10-12-2011, 06:09 AM

LOL Thanks for my morning chuckle!
Originally Posted by hootnannie
So has anyone seen this sewing machine before??

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/fuo/2608376676.html
Old 10-12-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Thanks Charlee, Vintagemotif, and Miriam. It really is addictive to clean these up!
No kidding it is.
I just finished putting sewing machine oil on these 2 machines and they MOVE now....!!!!! :lol:
I can't believe that I got them to move without DH helping me.
Now to set up a work shop. I got my work cut out for me.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by grammydar
Mirriam
Darlene
The kerosene is for the mechanics of the machine, Non Pumice Go Jo is for the finish f the machine but make sure to test a spot on the rear of the pillar to make sure it will not hurt the decals.

Billy
OK Thanks
It looked to me like you set the machine in the tub and allowed the kerosene to run over the whole thing, not actually scrub with it. the Go Jo sounds better.
I will keep working at this
Old 10-12-2011, 06:40 AM

Hello, I hope it's ok to just jump right in here with a few questions and pictures of my machine. Please forgive me if I'm "butting" in here.

I bought a Singer in a table a few years ago for $35 at an antique/garage sale. I have several old machines but am just now really starting to look into them and learn more about them. Hopefully I didn't over pay - I believe it is a Singer 15-91, and it sews fine. It sounds like it needs a little oil and I would love to refinish the cabinet. I have three little girls and would love for this to be their machine to learn on. I really want them to grow up with a little knowledge and some appreciation for new AND old sewing machines. I read another thread on here (I cannot remember by who, I've been reading for hours on end off and on for a few days now! Lol*) about someone who refinished the same model machine but in a Queen Ann cabinet...they used what appeared to be a stripper on it? I wrote down the product - Klean Kutter Refinisher...then they used Howard Restore A Finish. Would that be the suggested way to go about restoring this cabinet? Any other suggestions? I have never attempted anything like this in my LIFE!

Also I have a Singer Sphynx Treadle that I cannot seem to find much information online about, if anyone can tell me anything about it. Other than finding on the Singer website that it was made pre-1900 because the serial number has no prefixes. I will try and take a few pictures of that one later on today...here are some pictures of the 15-91.

Thank you all so much for all of the information you have shared here too, it's AMAZING! It is taking me a little bit of time to wade through it all, but it is SO VERY enjoyable. You all have me wanting to save any little sewing machine I find and try and bring it back to life! LOL*
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-269914.jpe
Views:	189
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	269967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-269915.jpe
Views:	187
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	269968