Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Thanks Vintagemotif I could not think Tiffiney. I knew it was a 66 but could remember the name of the decal
I see those decals and think of old Victorian homes in SF and gingerbread.
It is a very pretty machine and is very victorian. After unsing the VS2 I don't think I will be looking for anymore 66's
What is a VS2?
Vibrating shuttle #2, an early model of Singer. :)
Old 10-24-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Thanks Vintagemotif I could not think Tiffiney. I knew it was a 66 but could remember the name of the decal
I see those decals and think of old Victorian homes in SF and gingerbread.
It is a very pretty machine and is very victorian. After unsing the VS2 I don't think I will be looking for anymore 66's
Thanks Charlee, still learning.
What is a VS2?
Vibrating shuttle #2, an early model of Singer. :)
Old 10-24-2011, 08:26 AM

[quote=BZ quiltingThanks Charlee, still learning.
[/quote]

Me too!! :lol:
Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

[quote=Charlee]
Originally Posted by BZ quiltingThanks Charlee, still learning.
[/quote

Me too!! :lol:
Me too!!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:15 AM

Think of the VS2 as a very early 27
Glenn
Old 10-24-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by Julie1
I was putting my 401a into its new home (cabinet), when it tumbled out of my hands and fell over backwards to the carpeted floor. The only thing I can tell is not working is the back dial stack. This may be due to operator error as much as the fall. Is this something I can open the machine up and check out or do I need to take it to my local repair man? What do you think? Do I dare turn it on before checking it out?
You can turn it on and you can gently try moving the stack. If you get it to move set it up for just disks.

I have one someone either dropped or hit with a hammer. I've been trying to fix it for a while. Every once in a while I pull it apart and try to re-assemble. I think mine has a bent shaft. The donor machine I have is a 500 and they do not interchange. If nothing else you would need a service manual. Looking back, I would take it to a repair shop if I had plenty of money. It may cost more than you can buy another 401 to get it fixed. What I did with mine was to set it up to just do disks and then use it just with disks. You have to take the disk out to straight stitch though. To set it on special, you can manually move the readers by unscrewing pieces (and that is hard) and set them in the disk only position or have it done. Those stitch selectors are delicate aren't they. A repair shop could do that - hard to tell what they would charge to do it. Then you would have to have disks even just to zig zag. Maybe you will be blessed that it still works.
Thanks for the reply, I will try just that
Old 10-24-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
I was putting my 401a into its new home (cabinet), when it tumbled out of my hands and fell over backwards to the carpeted floor. The only thing I can tell is not working is the back dial stack. This may be due to operator error as much as the fall. Is this something I can open the machine up and check out or do I need to take it to my local repair man? What do you think? Do I dare turn it on before checking it out?
You can turn it on and you can gently try moving the stack. If you get it to move set it up for just disks.

I have one someone either dropped or hit with a hammer. I've been trying to fix it for a while. Every once in a while I pull it apart and try to re-assemble. I think mine has a bent shaft. The donor machine I have is a 500 and they do not interchange. If nothing else you would need a service manual. Looking back, I would take it to a repair shop if I had plenty of money. It may cost more than you can buy another 401 to get it fixed. What I did with mine was to set it up to just do disks and then use it just with disks. You have to take the disk out to straight stitch though. To set it on special, you can manually move the readers by unscrewing pieces (and that is hard) and set them in the disk only position or have it done. Those stitch selectors are delicate aren't they. A repair shop could do that - hard to tell what they would charge to do it. Then you would have to have disks even just to zig zag. Maybe you will be blessed that it still works.
Thanks for the reply, I will try just that
I *KNEW* Miriam would have your answer Julia!! :)
Old 10-24-2011, 01:32 PM

Quick Question...

I know there are a lot of clones of the 15 out there. Are they just as good as the Singer 15's? I am just trying to keep a look out for a 15 so I can FMQ on it. I've read here in the shop that it's easier to FMQ on the 15's than the 66's...but I haven't tried either for myself yet.

So you VSM owners that have both reg and clone 15's, what are your opinions?

Thank you,

Melissa
Old 10-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
Quick Question...

I know there are a lot of clones of the 15 out there. Are they just as good as the Singer 15's? I am just trying to keep a look out for a 15 so I can FMQ on it. I've read here in the shop that it's easier to FMQ on the 15's than the 66's...but I haven't tried either for myself yet.

So you VSM owners that have both reg and clone 15's, what are your opinions?

Thank you,

Melissa
yes - nice machine
Old 10-24-2011, 01:35 PM

I saw a Kenmore godzilla finished tank in a lovely inlaid cabinet today. They didn't seem to go together aesthetically. That is one serious looking machine. I also found a plain cabinet that may fit my 301, but the cradle is missing.