Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you ever get addicted to something and don't know why? >

Do you ever get addicted to something and don't know why?

Do you ever get addicted to something and don't know why?

Old 10-25-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by tuesy
Yes, I do that same thing..my cravings will last about 2-3 weeks. Last thing I was craving was cabbage.
Funny you say that ! I've been eating cabbage lately also......had steamed cabbage over the weekend and yesterday I made cole slaw with a vingerary type dressing.....

I never crave chocolate, but if it is salty/crunchy I'm there....even ate stale potato chips the other day !
Old 10-25-2011, 07:01 AM

there is also a lot of protein in peanut butter; when I did daycare it was always welcomed by the food care program because it was healthy and most kids would eat it. I use Skippy because it has less sugar than most and I love the crunchy. I was always told if you crave something (even when pregnant) it's because your body needs the nutrients in it. My mom has been dead for many years and I hadn't seen her since I was little anyways since dad decided to take us away but even as a pre-school age child I remember my mom eating banana and salad dressing (mayo) sandwiches and I eat them especially when I'm feeling lonely and I always think of my mom when I eat them; that's more of comfort than craving but sometimes that's why we eat; it doesn't always have to do with being hungry. If I could only eat when I was hungry I'd have no problem.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by GwynR
all the time! fresh ground nutmeg in my coffee! yum!
Nope! Had myself fixed almost 5 years ago.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by Opal Jane
Right now I am addicted to peanut butter on celery. Every day when I get home from work, I have to have a couple of pieces of celery with peanut butter. I don't why I am addicted to this. Maybe my body is lacking some type of nutrients. I wish this addiction would just go away, too much fat in peanut butter, eventhough I just heard that it has the good fat (is there such a thing).
More the question is ... are you truly hungry at those times? or are you grabbing something to eat out of habit?
Of course I'm not hungry....I just know, I'm home and its time for my peanut butter and celery. So maybe its more of a habit that I need to break. UGH!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
i see you are almost to your weight loss goal. congrats!!!! what a difficult journey that is. perhaps your body is craving the oils, or maybe the salt in the p.butter and celery. keeping the portion small sure helps... i have learned that. again, Congrats :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thank you....I don't know what it is but I have to keep this addiction under control before it gets out of hand.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

I get on food kicks all the time. Right now it's blueberries mixed with pecans. I ate a bowl of them for breakfast. A few weeks ago it was fire roasted tomatoes mixed with pesto sauce on ziti noodles. I ate it everyday. I seldom crave sweets but when I do it's always cupcakes and that can be dangerous!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I heard if you crave salt your body is yelling at you that something is not right. It's time for lab work!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Greenheron
You all can't be expecting, can you?
Too funny Greenheron - :lol:.... but if I were, it could be called a miracle. 1st because @ 29 I had a hyestorectomy, 2nd because I'm 77 YEARS OLD! :roll: .....BUT if I remember right it takes two to tango & I've been on my own for over 20 years. :cry:
Old 10-25-2011, 11:28 AM

I was addicted to red licorice (a particular brand) when I was pregnant with my first!
Old 10-25-2011, 12:18 PM

Don't be afraid of a little fat. Good fats are beneficial and necessary (yes, I said necessary). Peanut butter isn't so bad--though you do want to stay away from sweetened stuff. Sugar is bad news--besides causing weight gain, it can cause a true chemical addiction. All-natural PB, the kind you have to stir up and refrigerate, is much better for you. If you're not allergic to nuts, almond butter is even better for you in terms of good fats (it is a little expensive, but that'll help keep you from gorging ;)).

As long as you don't go nuts and eat half the jar, your after-work snack is not a killer. The protein, fat, and fiber will help keep you satisfied until dinnertime. Keep it to a tablespoon or so and there's no guilt in your snack. :)

FREE Quilting Newsletter