Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Eagle Scout- Court of Honor >

Eagle Scout- Court of Honor

Eagle Scout- Court of Honor

Old 06-06-2011, 01:31 PM
MCH

Well, let me tell all of you, I was blessed to marry a man who had attained the rank of Eagle Scout! Need I say more? His years of being a Scout and progressing to the Order of the Arrow were MAJOR contributors to his becoming the husband and father he is today.

We've been married 42 years (43 in Sept.), dated 7 years previous (high school college), and knew each other in jr. high school.

Having wonderful parents (amazing role models), growing into a man of deep faith and his Scouting experiences all combined to create the perfect husband for me.

Where have all the years gone? It was only yesterday that he was telling me to put my band music folio on the rack in the band room instead of putting it with my flute on the shelf! "It belongs on the rack!" ...and they were off to a lifetime together! :thumbup: :lol:
Old 06-06-2011, 01:50 PM

I have loved all your stories about your families. Thank you everyone who shared.

For those with Scouts who have not done their project yet, I would urge you to encourage them to do something lasting & permanent. It will be a reminder to the community what scouts can accomplish, & they will be glad they did it. My sons project took months of weekends involving excavation, concrete, & woodworking & will serve the community for 25 years minimum. Although it was a lot of work, we are all happy to have participated; & I was glad to see all the skill-building that happened for the younger scouts in our troop.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:26 PM

Your words were: "...son, can speak confidently in public & has become a leader as a result of the scouting experience."

How true this statement is! I too am a proud mother of an Eagle Scout. Today, after college and receiving his ME (Mechanical Engineering Degree), he too speaks confidently within a company's research and development department. Your son's Boy Scout history will follow him forever. Many of our son's interviews and meetings of executives, someone will ask, "You ever belong to Scouts?" And from there comes a bond unspeakable. Congrats to your son and yes, we moms understand your emotions.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:21 PM

I know this thread is old and I am slow getting to it but wanted to say thanks for the memories. My husband and I were known as Mr and Mrs Scout in out town. I signed my husband up to be the Scoutmaster when he was in Korea. We started the pack in our town and the boys needed a Scoutmaster to have a troop to go into. We ran Cub Scout Day camp for over 20 years. First year we only had 35 boys but the last years we only accepted 240 boys!!

A story about our son. He had one the project and merit badges. All he had left was writing it up. We had seen him grow and mature and had become a nice young man. I kept harping on him to get it done. Very close to his 18th birthday the nagging got the best of him. He looked me square in the eye and said "mom the first thing on the Eagle application is of a scouts free will, get off my back!!" My husband and I had a long talk and agreed in our eyes he was a Eagle and we could not force him to do it so we let it go. He got it done 2 days before his 18th birthday. He is 38 now and we talk about it. He was feeling sort of lost in being our son. You know Mr. and Mrs. Scout. I guess sort of like a ministers children sometimes feel.
He did not want a ceremony and seldom mentioned it. When he went in the Navy he had not even told the recruiter. The day he left he called and asked me if I could fax a copy of the certificate. He found out it meant he got an automatic pay raise just for being an Eagle Scout!!
Oh the memories I have Thanks again
Old 06-07-2011, 02:12 PM

My son only made it to Life...Congratulations on the Eagle!! What a great accomplishment.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:51 AM

Congrats very proud moment! Let's pray for scouting to continue to help our boys become better men.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by GrandmK
I know this thread is old and I am slow getting to it but wanted to say thanks for the memories. My husband and I were known as Mr and Mrs Scout in out town. I signed my husband up to be the Scoutmaster when he was in Korea. We started the pack in our town and the boys needed a Scoutmaster to have a troop to go into. We ran Cub Scout Day camp for over 20 years. First year we only had 35 boys but the last years we only accepted 240 boys!!

A story about our son. He had one the project and merit badges. All he had left was writing it up. We had seen him grow and mature and had become a nice young man. I kept harping on him to get it done. Very close to his 18th birthday the nagging got the best of him. He looked me square in the eye and said "mom the first thing on the Eagle application is of a scouts free will, get off my back!!" My husband and I had a long talk and agreed in our eyes he was a Eagle and we could not force him to do it so we let it go. He got it done 2 days before his 18th birthday. He is 38 now and we talk about it. He was feeling sort of lost in being our son. You know Mr. and Mrs. Scout. I guess sort of like a ministers children sometimes feel.
He did not want a ceremony and seldom mentioned it. When he went in the Navy he had not even told the recruiter. The day he left he called and asked me if I could fax a copy of the certificate. He found out it meant he got an automatic pay raise just for being an Eagle Scout!!
Oh the memories I have Thanks again
Yes our son had that blessing as well in the USMC, he too dragged on a bit and finished up shortly before 18th birthday, yet now at 30 he is a very honorable man. Grateful to God and scouting.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:19 PM

Thanks all who have supported scouting! I updated my avatar with my Eagle Scout when he was 5 years old, with baby sister...he was a great helper for me even back then!