Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-26-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by kwendt
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
kwendt - I'm the one with the original CHSS. Charlee was nice enough to translate it for everyone else. :D
GOSH GOSH GOSH!!! I'm so sorry, QuiltnCowgirl!!! LOL. Credit is due where credit is due. <hangs head, coughs> My head must still be spinning from the pneumonia! Um yeah. Right.
Not to worry. It is a sad day when I take credit in public for the syndrome for not being able to handsew worth a darn. :oops:
ROTF!!!! As my sis-in-law would say, "Girl, somedays you just take a number!"....
Old 10-26-2011, 10:21 AM

Darnit!! Here and I was all ready to bask in Cowgirl's glory!! :lol: ;)
Old 10-26-2011, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Darnit!! Here and I was all ready to bask in Cowgirl's glory!! :lol: ;)
And here all this time I never knew CHSS was glorious :lol:

I just learned last summer how to do a "quilters knot". I can knot my thread now!! If only someone had shown me that about 35 years ago maybe the rest of my handsewing would have followed suit.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sede_Mae
I want to do some "fine" detailed cleaning of my FW... Inside crevaces and all. Outside of machine, NOT inside. I was thinking of using a Q-tip and rubbing alchohol? Would this be OK? or if anyone has some special tricks or advice... I would sure appreciate it. Also... Do you know of a great way or product to brighten the black, make her shine alittle more? My machine is in very good shape...all scoll decals intact... Etc. I just want to dress her up alittle more to take her out !! LOL :-) Thanks everyone,
Julie
Not so sure about the rubbing alcohol and how that would react with the finish on the machine, so I would avoid that unless it's on the chrome parts. To get in the crevices, maybe just try a cotton swab or a toothpick with a little bit of cotton ball wrapped around it moistened with some water (if it's not too grimy and just dusty). As far as shine, I've used Scott's Liquid Gold or paste wax on my machines and buffed up with a soft cloth.

Forgot to add, on the wax, don't use one with "cleaner" or an abrasive. :)
Old 10-26-2011, 10:47 AM

Question to those who would know, what is special about a Bell machine. Other than it looks interesting and very clean, I'm not sure why the price is (what I would consider) high? Is it a rare one?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8751380
Old 10-26-2011, 10:58 AM

I just posted photos and questions on the main forum about my first vintage machine. I put it under the title My first vintage machine. I know very little about sewing machines but I am very proud to own it. It needs work. I have a project on my hands.

It appears to be a New Home model called "New Ideal" made about 1900 according to the serial number 1850982. Obviously a common machine and not that old. But I love it none the less. It apparently belonged to my Great, Great, Grandmother.

If anyone can give me any info on the machine I would appreciate it. Again the confusion is that it is electric with a foot pedal but it is on the iron type of treadle table top and it folds down into the table.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-277339.jpe
Views:	182
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	277392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-277340.jpe
Views:	174
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	277393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-277341.jpe
Views:	179
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	277394  
Old 10-26-2011, 11:00 AM

I've got CHSS, don't know what the quilters knot looks like and not very good at darning. But I can put a quilt top together.

Kwendt, Sorry you have been sick but, glad you are back with us.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Originally Posted by Sede_Mae
I want to do some "fine" detailed cleaning of my FW... Inside crevaces and all. Outside of machine, NOT inside. I was thinking of using a Q-tip and rubbing alchohol? Would this be OK? or if anyone has some special tricks or advice... I would sure appreciate it. Also... Do you know of a great way or product to brighten the black, make her shine alittle more? My machine is in very good shape...all scoll decals intact... Etc. I just want to dress her up alittle more to take her out !! LOL :-) Thanks everyone,
Julie
Not so sure about the rubbing alcohol and how that would react with the finish on the machine, so I would avoid that unless it's on the chrome parts. To get in the crevices, maybe just try a cotton swab or a toothpick with a little bit of cotton ball wrapped around it moistened with some water (if it's not too grimy and just dusty). As far as shine, I've used Scott's Liquid Gold or paste wax on my machines and buffed up with a soft cloth.

Forgot to add, on the wax, don't use one with "cleaner" or an abrasive. :)
rubbing alcohol if I recall correctly removes paint.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Question to those who would know, what is special about a Bell machine. Other than it looks interesting and very clean, I'm not sure why the price is (what I would consider) high? Is it a rare one?

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8751380
i have been watching this one too. I don't know anything about it. It is cute - but too high priced for me.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by kwendt
Hey all my best VSMS buddies....

Now that I'm finally recovering from what turned out to be Pnuemonia, and can sort of think straight, for hours at a time <smile!>; I can jump back into the fray here.

I have an old tensioner question. I have an ancient, 1912 Singer 115/15 treadle head that I've cleaned up and put back together. My first treadle is almost ready to test drive!!! Whoo hoo! But I'm not sure if I have to replace the two tensioner disks or not.

This is the extremely basic, extremely plain tensioner. Has two disks, a washer thing, a spiral spring, a divided post and a thumb nut (and a funky wire/spring thingy for a thread guide/back tensioner that I cannot tell if it's bent out of shape or not.) That's it.

The two plated tension disks where the thread passes between are worn. They are discolored, but not rusted, pitted, burred or lined... just discolored on the highest part of the bevel curve of each disk. About the size of a lifesaver, 1/3" or so. Is this sort of thing indicative of 'worn out-needing to be replaced'? or is this just cosmetic, and it'll be fine?

(I have no other tensioner that's even CLOSE in age, wear or style. Can't compare. Pictures didn't come out.)
Help? Opinions? Jokes?
You should be fine with them as long as they aren't worn through and aren't catching/cutting your thread.
I have a 115 treadle. Is it a good machine to do FMQ? Do the feed dogs drop and if so, how? I can't find much information on the 115. Any info. appreciated!
Linda