Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-27-2011, 11:32 AM

Does anyone have a RUBY? It appears to have been made by White, turns backwards, has a four drawer cabinet, the feet are the same as the White FR. There is no serial number I can find. I'd post a picture but it is dismantled for putting in my cousin's car for the trip home.

It appears to have suffered some damage to the mechanism that lets you put the machine in cabinet and close the lid.

I'm betting someone gave it to DH's grandmother and grampa made it usable. Old Alabama farm family with 6 girls and a couple of boys.

BUT I have extra plates, shuttles and 9 bobbins plus all the attachments and they look just like the box of White.

Will post when I get her cleaned up and put together. Someone put her away carefully, had an oiled piece of 1930s feedsack oiled and the needle turned down into it.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:35 AM

Ok, Ya'll have to tell me I didn't do a dumb thing. I bought a storage unit with sewing machines and parts in it. So far I've brought home 12 machnes. All need attention of some kind. Even one hand crank, 2 redeyes and some MW and an Elna. There's alot of plastic ones that may or may not be worth saving. But the really cool thing is the parts. This person was planning to open a repair shop, but died before he could do it. I just hope I haven't bitten off too big a bite.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by beaniekins
Today I got another new machine, for free this time. The person who gave it to me said it was missing the bobbin case, but she must not have realized that this machine does not need a bobbin case. It's a Singer 247, and it runs perfectly. It's so odd that all the machines that I've paid money for need a little bit of tweaking to work properly, and this free one is clean and runs wonderfully. It does need bobbins though. Does anyone know if it takes a class 15 or a class 66? I have 15s in my house but I'd have to pick up some 66s.

Here is a photo. This is not my machine, but a photo I found online. It looks totally the same though.
I had a 242 that looked similar and it took clas 66 bobbins.

Pat
Old 10-27-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by grannysewer
Ok, Ya'll have to tell me I didn't do a dumb thing. I bought a storage unit with sewing machines and parts in it. So far I've brought home 12 machnes. All need attention of some kind. Even one hand crank, 2 redeyes and some MW and an Elna. There's alot of plastic ones that may or may not be worth saving. But the really cool thing is the parts. This person was planning to open a repair shop, but died before he could do it. I just hope I haven't bitten off too big a bite.
Sounds like an adventure!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Well, I was wrong about all the machines in the area being sent to shopgoodwill.com. These have been listed several times and no one has reached the reserve price yet:
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8808723
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8782509

But - I stopped into the local Goodwill to look for candlesticks, didn't find them, but I saw a sewing machine cabinet. Opened it up and saw a really grubby looking plastic Singer 647. As I was closing the top, I look over and on the floor I spy something blue --- they missed a White Model 65, a J-A15. In a case with a couple of extra feet and a half dozen number 15 bobbins. I tried it out in the store-it runs smooth and quiet. The price? $13.99. The belt is like new - and the undersides are the cleanest I've seen in an old machine. It came home with me. So much for not buying any more machines!

Wow, that looks almost brand new.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:16 PM

So...When is the grand opening of your new repair shop?! :D
Old 10-27-2011, 12:20 PM

You'll be busy forever with your new acquisitions. Tell us more about the older ones and pictures would be nice! Congrats on the purchase!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Janice - getting caught up here this morning! Steven Tyler is an awesome machine! Once that grunge is he is going to be a Rock Star in the vintage sewing machine world! :thumbup:
Well now how about that! Just read online that Steven Tyler fell & knocked out some of his teeth. How appropriate - he really is rough looking just like your Davis.

On a serious note: I'm glad Steven Tyler is going to be ok. Concert in Paraguay postponed. I'm sure he is going to have some nice, new, expensive teeth real soon.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Janice - getting caught up here this morning! Steven Tyler is an awesome machine! Once that grunge is he is going to be a Rock Star in the vintage sewing machine world! :thumbup:
Well now how about that! Just read online that Steven Tyler fell & knocked out some of his teeth. How appropriate - he really is rough looking just like your Davis.

On a serious note: I'm glad Steven Tyler is going to be ok. Concert in Paraguay postponed. I'm sure he is going to have some nice, new, expensive teeth real soon.
my son had a tooth implant - I can't think of much more painful than that... It took for ever to get all done.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:53 PM

I don't think you did a dumb thing! I would have done the same. That is why I stay away from storage unit auctions.