Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
this ?  is for garment sewers >

this ? is for garment sewers

this ? is for garment sewers

Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 PM

I would trace the pattern onto plain wrapping tissue. Using a tracing wheel weakens the pattern paper and can lead to tearing later on.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

I would probably just fold it over and/or use the tracing paper and wheel.

If I'm "making" a pattern that I will be remaking ... I have used old fabric or ugly fabric to make the pattern pieces. I can easily mark on it with markers any notes I want to keep for the next time. Also, then no pins ... I just lay the pattern pieces on and they sit still easier than tissue paper. Then scoot around it with my rotary blade!!

And oh .... if I need something to hold pattern pieces in place I just set a Sad Iron or two on top!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:04 PM

I've always used pattern paper. It's like really thick interfacing and having tried tracing paper, plain interfacing, and other substitutes, I feel there is no substitute for the good stuff. I think it's called swedish pattern paper or something. I use a fine tip sharpie to trace the size I want-then I mark the pattern pieces with the name of the piece, the size, and the pattern name/number. When I'm done with it I save it in case I want to make it again in that size.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Power Poster

If the patterns are on sale for 99 cents (are they ever thay inexpensive any more?) - I would buy several patterns of the same style in different sizes.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:33 PM

I trace mine. I tape the edges to the sliding glass door and then tape freezer paper, or butcher paper over that. And either use a sharpie or crayon. Ink pens stop working after a few lines.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
If the patterns are on sale for 99 cents (are they ever thay inexpensive any more?) - I would buy several patterns of the same style in different sizes.
This is something I have done quite often. Otherwise I will trace my patterns. Little curves cannot be cut precise enough for me when you are just cutting underneath the pattern. Personal preference, though.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:20 PM

I have done it both ways, tracing on pattern paper, and just folding the pattern. If your careful I would just fold the pattern, much faster and really pretty easy to do.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:24 PM

Since the invention of the rotary cutter, I use weights on the pattern paper, cut with the rotary cutter and use tailor tacks for darts, and cut notches as usual. (I made my own pattern weights by making fabric tubes then filling them with rice. They are bendable so they lay nicely along curves.)
Old 10-27-2011, 09:33 PM

If the patterns are on sale for $.99 I would buy several. I have also made copies on my printer if they are really small infant/toddler sizes and just taped them together if needed. I've also backed patterns that I really like with iron on interfacing, that way they don't tear if you just fold over the pattern.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:33 PM

If the patterns are on sale for $.99 I would buy several. I have also made copies on my printer if they are really small infant/toddler sizes and just taped them together if needed. I've also backed patterns that I really like with iron on interfacing, that way they don't tear if you just fold over the pattern.