Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
For or Against Trick or Treating?? >

For or Against Trick or Treating??

For or Against Trick or Treating??

Old 10-31-2011, 10:10 AM

I love Trick or Treat!! And DH and I have no problem with older children or teenagers coming to our door and knocking for candy. As long as they are polite, they get a handful of candy bars. We only get a handful of Trick or Treaters because our house is a bit from the road. The most we ever got was about 20++.

We don't have sidewalks here and houses are not super close to each other so many children are driven from house to house. We would drive the kids and walk a bit. Thankfully we live in a nice area and people always gave out good amounts of candy. After just a few streets in our neighborhood, both girls had bags full of candy.

I would be sad to see Trick or Treat done away with. As long as it is done in good fun, I see no harm.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:11 AM

I am not a fan of Halloween. Never took the kids trick or treating. Our church does do a Trunk or Treat that we get involved with. When they were younger and we were moving around with the Navy we went to our various Church's Harvest Festivals or I would just take the kids and go out somewhere with them if the church did not have anything going on.

So much evil out there!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:14 AM

It is not in my budget and besides the people tromp all over my flowers and I am at my door all the time. Getting to old to mess with it.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:20 AM

Hallowe'en is still fun in my part of Canada and most people participate. I've always made elaborate costumes for my kids and made one for my great niece this year. She's the most adorable little pumpkin. We live in the country and I always dressed up and drove my kids (too far to walk)to our relatives, neighbours and church family members. My kids always got large heavy bags of candy because our country neighbours were able to be generous as they only would get a dozen or so trick or treaters. I'm giving out a large chocolate bar and a can of pop this year but have no one to take out. I don't mind older kids and teens at my door for treats because then I know my mailbox won't get trashed.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:23 AM

I love Halloween and all the kids getting dressed up and trick or treating even the churches in our community get involved and do a trunk or treat most even dress up as people the Bible it's really cool.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:32 AM

It is the only holiday I feel I can choose to or choose not to participate. Every other holiday including Christmas you feel obligated to give gifts to others and I find so many people don't appreciate what you give unless it has a high $$$$$$$ amount. Talk about one of the worst days of the year, a retailers money maker and a parent nightmare. The true meaning is gone from that holiday.

Halloween is meant to be fun in it's current incarnation. It is not evil and is for me a joy to see all those little faces in all their little costumes.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
It is the only holiday I feel I can choose to or choose not to participate. Every other holiday including Christmas you feel obligated to give gifts to others and I find so many people don't appreciate what you give unless it has a high $$$$$$$ amount. Talk about one of the worst days of the year, a retailers money maker and a parent nightmare. The true meaning is gone from that holiday.

Halloween is meant to be fun in it's current incarnation. It is not evil and is for me a joy to see all those little faces in all their little costumes.
My thought is how can it be evil when so many young kids who know nothing about evil have so much fun dressing up and going around and collecting candy or going to wherever to get the candy and going to school for thier parade. My grandson is 5 and he is vampire this at night and to be appropriate he's a gingerbread man at school; no scary costumes allowed there and that's understandable. Since he was 8mos old on his first Halloween he's loved the costumes. He says its all about being scary and creepy; he thought his friend wanting to be Sponge Bob was lame. I no longer have kids at home but when I get off tonight I'll be home giving out candy and watching all of those precious faces have fun.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Banned

So glad I am not the only one who does not like Halloween...I have Biblical reasons and I dont push my beliefs off on others,or condemn others.Its just my personal preference.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by mayday
HATE ,HATE,HATE it ,plse keep it othere, we have enough problems at bonfire night.
I grew up in England and always loved Bonfire Night. I have been here over thirty years and I still miss it :-(

Decorating for Halloween sort of makes up for it, but we don't get many kids in our neighborhood.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:44 AM

I love Halloween. When my girls were little it was the best time of the year. I made so many costumes. They would dress up for a couple of weeks before Halloween and trick or treat their Dad and I. The school always had Halloween parties and so did our church. We had a great neighborhood and the all kids were out in the street. It was like a block party. I really miss it.

My Snow White and little Dopey
[ATTACH=CONFIG]280017[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-279964.jpe
Views:	44
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	280017